Please do help a fellow grappler with a some advice..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

AltaiKalgan

Lurker
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, I humbly ask you guys to help me with an opinion.

I do grappling / wrestling / glima ocasionally since 2016.

I have fought many opponents, not a big deal.

Now I wanted to try another level and went to a different style of glima, another gym in my city.

I can easily put down a few guys but some are incredibly though to put down.

My weight : 71 kg
Height : 167 cm

Problem is not that I am not at the same weight with them, I've put down guys of 100 kg before and very tall guys.

Yet, there are a few at this new gym which I cannot put down yet. (they have lots of judo background, mma, etc)

One of these guys is 120 kg and somewhat 1,78 cm and has a great foot game.

I have two questions :

1. I really ask you, experienced guys, what would be your best approach into putting such guys down ? regarding the given situation

2. One of my main problems is that after a few minutes of grappling without break, I gas out very bad, to the point of fainting feeling, that alters my fighting / grappling ability a lot. How can I improve it to no longer feel exhausted after effort while grappling and to keep long good stamina ?

Thank you a lot.
With respect

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
chain your takedowns, and do them to your 'weak' side...e.g. hip toss over your left hip instead of your right.

M

member 603

Building off Filthy @Bürgermeister of T-City comment, chain grappling is important here, especially if your first shot attempt gets stuffed.

In regards to the best approach to take those guys down, you have to assess the situation. A lot of time, judokas have a high stance to attack their throws and trips, if they're postured high, look for low angle shots (remember, power angles). If they have a lower wrestling stance, look for your snap downs off collar ties, or arm drags if they're reaching. You have to assess and respond accordingly.

In regards your conditioning while grappling, I suggest adding a S&C program. Kettle Bells, lots of drills, and don't forget to breathe. Heavy drills are what I put my comp team through for takedowns, set a clock for 1 minute of work, 30 second rest... First minute, shot reset shot, push that pace, make it smooth and quick... That 30 second rest period is abs, crunches, toe touches, etc. Second minute is sprawls, third minutes is switch drills, fourth is lift drills.... Keep building on that. Do that daily, as a warm up and as a end of practice, and watch how that helps with your stamina and endurance.

Try that, see if it helps.

Dec 1, 2019
I don’t know much about glima, but my answer to the takedown question really depends on the rule set. For standard submission grappling, there may be a size difference enough to warrant a more defensive approach, where you are more or less reacting off their takedown attempts (including guard pulls). As far as conditioning, if you are getting that gassed, that early, and have a decent fitness/cardio base, then I would suggest you work on your breathing and calmness. This is especially true when stressed again larger, more powerful opponents.

lamarclark09

Oct 20, 2022
The best advice is just to stick with your passions. Follow your instructor's instructions carefully. DO practice more and more.

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
1. Work on your technique. Good technique is the foundation of successful grappling. Focus on mastering basic positions and transitions, and use drills to practice them.

2. Develop a strong core. A strong core is essential for grapplers because it provides the stability and strength needed to maintain control.

3. Strengthen your grip. A strong grip can give you an edge over your opponents and help you control them. Use grip-strengthening exercises and practice gripping techniques.

4. Condition your body. Grappling is a physically demanding sport. Make sure you’re in shape by conditioning your body with strength and cardio exercises.

5. Develop a game plan. Know what your goals are and how you plan to achieve them. Have a strategy for each match and practice executing it.

6. Visualize success. A visualization is a powerful tool for athletes. Visualize yourself executing your techniques and having success in a match.

7. Stay focused. It’s easy to get distracted during a match, so practice focusing on the task at hand. This will help you stay in control and make better decisions.

8. Have fun. Remember, grappling is a sport and it should be enjoyable. If you’re having fun and pushing yourself, you’ll be more successful.