General 14 students, 1 teacher dead following mass school shooting in Texas

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
If teachers were armed, would they be blamed or held accountable if they froze and failed to act?

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Meet Harold Verdecia.

He is paid more than $50,000/year, plus benefits, by the Manatee School for the Arts in Florida.

His job is to wander around the school, holding that rifle and a Glock.

He doesn't get to know the kids. He doesn't break up fights or engage in community policing. He isn't involved in the curriculum.

He's just there to be there, in case a school shooter shows up.

The school is hoping to hire a second "guardian" soon.

'Murica! What do yo mean, the gun culture is completely fucked?

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Meet Harold Verdecia.

He is paid more than $50,000/year, plus benefits, by the Manatee School for the Arts in Florida.

His job is to wander around the school, holding that rifle and a Glock.

He doesn't get to know the kids. He doesn't break up fights or engage in community policing. He isn't involved in the curriculum.

He's just there to be there, in case a school shooter shows up.

The school is hoping to hire a second "guardian" soon.

'Murica! What do yo mean, the gun culture is completely fucked?

??
No, why?

I see why the school system is completely fucked.

What does he have to do with "gun culture"?

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Remember, in your wet-dream world, cops are the only ones with guns.
You understand that basically nobody here - myself included - takes the stance of "no guns for anybody, for any reason, ever"?

You are arguing against the noise in your head. Of course there is a place for private gun ownership in society.

??

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
My mom's been a middle school teacher in Queens for years, and having gone to school in Brooklyn myself, I believe guns in the classrooms would cause more shooting incidents - not necessarily mass shootings but other problems.

Maybe a couple of guns locked in strategic locations if there were a way only certain people could get to them, and if accessing a gun automatically triggered an alarm to the police the way the fire alarms trigger an alarm to the fire dept. Not sure even that would be ok, but better than keeping guns in the classroom.

Idk really. There is no great answer to this problem right now, only taking multiple steps of different types to tackle the problem from different angles at once.

But I think from what we have seen in terms of timidity in these situations, we need to somehow address extreme situations where the person authorized to act can't or won't - others need to be allowed to, maybe even a qualified-ish person being deputized or something - some transfer of power and weaponry needs to be allowed to happen

Actually I'm not sure any of these ideas are good ones

But maybe some other type of alarm near fire alarms is not a bad idea, but it wouldn't have helped in Uvalde ☹