General 14 students, 1 teacher dead following mass school shooting in Texas

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
yes, most of these people are simply killers and not trained shooters.
"You guys are right, semi-automatic rifles with higher capacity magazines provide the ability for untrained individuals to kill many people easier than other tools and firearms. " - Filthy @Filthy

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
What is high capacity for a magazine?
Doesn't matter. Pick your own words. I'm well versed in the circular arguing that goes on in the gun debates and am not getting sucked into it.

As magazine size goes up ability for a shooter to expand their mass casualty with a single firearm goes up. This trait is increasingly important in the untrained attacker that risks malfunction and victim defense during reloads and may waste many rounds.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
This trait is increasingly important in the untrained attacker that risks malfunction and victim defense during reloads and may waste many rounds.
I'm not clear on what you are saying here. Can you please clarify?

Are you saying that the capacity of the magazine affects the likelihood of malfunction, or the inexperience of the attacker does that (or both, I guess)?

Are you saying that malfunction will cause the attacker to have to reload more frequently, or the capacity of the magazine does that (or both again)?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm not clear on what you are saying here. Can you please clarify?

Are you saying that the capacity of the magazine affects the likelihood of malfunction, or the inexperience of the attacker does that (or both, I guess)?

Are you saying that malfunction will cause the attacker to have to reload more frequently, or the capacity of the magazine does that (or both again)?
Larger mag better chance at higher score in the incel mass shooting game.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Untrained incel in the heat of the moment is dropping and reloading 10 round mags. 30 bullets. That's two reloads. And he's going to have to store those extra mags on him and pull them out. Trained infantry even fuck this up. Unless he's taped his extra mag upside down to the first, he's reaching...somewhere...for mag 2 and 3.
Each mag change is time for victim defense. Each mag change is a time to fuck up a feed, fumble inserting the mag, drop the extra mag, etc. Not to mention the short delay that occurs with an inexperienced incel shooter even realizing the mag went empty. He aint doing tac reloads.
30 round mags, drums, etc. and a semiauto rifle are a poorly trained mass shooters perfect tool.

Was the guy an incel? I guess I haven't followed the news that closely.
They all are. Every fucking time.
But yes. Internet dork spends his days threatening to kill and rape girls on livestream chat rooms. Goes to school to shoot everyone after jerking off to dreams of the evil black rifle and (probably) a history of killing animals/

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Untrained incel in the heat of the moment is dropping and reloading 10 round mags. 30 bullets. That's two reloads. And he's going to have to store those extra mags on him and pull them out. Trained infantry even fuck this up. Unless he's taped his extra mag upside down to the first, he's reaching...somewhere...for mag 2 and 3.
Each mag change is time for victim defense. Each mag change is a time to fuck up a feed, fumble inserting the mag, drop the extra mag, etc. Not to mention the short delay that occurs with an inexperienced incel shooter even realizing the mag went empty. He aint doing tac reloads.
30 round mags, drums, etc. and a semiauto rifle are a poorly trained mass shooters perfect tool.

They all are. Every fucking time.
But yes. Internet dork spends his days threatening to kill and rape girls on livestream chat rooms. Goes to school to shoot everyone after jerking off to dreams of the evil black rifle and (probably) a history of killing animals/
Is there a source that he was threatening females online, or is that just an assumption that aligns with "they all are"?

You mentioned ten rounds. Is that where you think the limit should be? Is that just for long guns? Is it just for semi-automatic guns? Is it just if the gun meets both of those criteria? Most guns exceed that limit. Should guns also have bullet buttons or similar devices? If magazine capacity was limited to ten rounds (or however many), what should be done with the magazines that are already privately owned and exceed that limit? Are they grandfathered in, or should the owners be forced to forfeit their property? If the latter, how is that going to be enforced? How do you prove either way whether or not a magazine was privately owned prior to the limit going into law? Should magazines have serial numbers? Should there be a magazine registry? What do you think?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Is there a source that he was threatening females online, or is that just an assumption that aligns with "they all are"?
Google my friend. Tons of it.

ou mentioned ten rounds. Is that where you think the limit should be? Is that just for long guns? Is it just for semi-automatic guns? Is it just if the gun meets both of those criteria? Most guns exceed that limit. Should guns also have bullet buttons or similar devices? If magazine capacity was limited to ten rounds (or however many), what should be done with the magazines that are already privately owned and exceed that limit? Are they grandfathered in, or should the owners be forced to forfeit their property? If the latter, how is that going to be enforced? How do you prove either way whether or not a magazine was privately owned prior to the limit going into law? Should magazines have serial numbers? Should there be a magazine registry? What do you think?

Didn't really read any of it.
It's a gish gallop attempt to make it seem like nothing can be done.

We've already banned manufacture and/or transfer of various items including gun types and magazine sizes in the past. Feel free to pick any stage in which we already did that to get your answer.

But we aren't even to the point of agreement that a 30 round magazine and rifle is a more dangerous tool with the undifferentiated shooter than (insert any other firearm). Thread is currently a dozen pages of false equivalencies implying "they'll just kill the same with any gun/tool etc". But that's simply not true. So until we get that point of contention out of the way that some guns are more dangerous in public threat for various reasons than other guns, why do I even want to talk about where to draw the line after that?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Drums tend to be very unreliable.

The shooter in the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting use a drum which caused his gun to malfunction. He had to take time to clear that which gave people more time to get out.

He is your inexperienced shooter. Most gun owners that practice on a regular basis know that drums are unreliable and look at them as a joke. The dorks that use them at a range are made fun of behind their backs and sometimes to their face.

The Vegas shooter is sort of the exception here. Although he didn't use a drum, he did use 100 round magazines which, given the capacity, many people equate that with a drum. However, they function much differently. They are more reliable. He was a rich guy that had the time and money to spend training with knowledgeable shooters and purchase reliable equipment. Hell, bump stocks were looked at as even more of a joke before the Vegas shooting. He took the time to buy stocks that worked well with the guns he matched he matched them with and took the time to train the technique of shooting them. His guns still malfunctioned, but he unfortunately had many more guns.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Didn't really read any of it.
It's a gish gallop attempt to make it seem like nothing can be done.
No, they are all things that need to be considered when attempting to "do something". If you don't want to read, then don't. Just don't misrepresent it.

We've already banned manufacture and/or transfer of various items including gun types and magazine sizes in the past. Feel free to pick any stage in which we already did that to get your answer.
And we still have/had mass shootings and similar levels of gun related crimes.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
And we still have/had mass shootings and similar levels of gun related crimes.
No we didn't. All crime went down and it's still hotly debated on why it went down.
Mass shootings dropped at the same time.

1653970427720.png

1653970489226.png

1653970614335.png

1653970634335.png

Economic improvement, no more leaded gas, legalized abortions, mass prison boom, gun laws... There's data to support all as contributing to the reduction in violent crime and murders.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
No we didn't. All crime went down and it's still hotly debated on why it went down.
Mass shootings dropped at the same time.

View attachment 69036

View attachment 69037

View attachment 69038

View attachment 69039

Economic improvement, no more leaded gas, legalized abortions, mass prison boom, gun laws... There's data to support all as contributing to the reduction in violent crime and murders.
Right, similar to the trends prior to the ban and afterward for quite a while.

Also, I would be careful about using Mother Jones as a source. They are known to both be against private gun ownership and to misrepresent data to push that agenda as well misrepresenting data regarding other topics. They are not a research based organization. They take the research of others and spin it in the direct that fits their agenda.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
As magazine size goes up ability for a shooter to expand their mass casualty with a single firearm goes up. This trait is increasingly important in the untrained attacker that risks malfunction and victim defense during reloads and may waste many rounds.
I think you mean "How long the police do nothing during a mass shooting." rather than "high capacity magazine".

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
If this thread has one good thing going its that I can learn a lot of riveting new things.

Like that unless I own a nuclear sub I'm definitely a slave n stuff.