General 2018 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I'm in a slack groupchat with a bunch of humorless stat geeks that I somehow got invited into, they were arguing about degrom & sherzer & the cy young award, so I dropped this little gem in there, I've been getting alerts on my phone from that app at least once a minute for the past hour

" Scherzer’s ERA would be lower than deGrom’s if Max had as little run support as deGrom does. Max pitches to the score, does what he needs to make sure the Nats win. deGrom’s demeanor - for whatever reason - just doesn’t inspire his team. That’s on him. Plus, Max pounds the strike zone more. Pounding the strike zone pumps up the team & gets them off the field faster. deGrom just nibbles around the corner & his teammates don't like to play with him"

I'm guessing I'll be uninvited from that group soon

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I'm in a slack groupchat with a bunch of humorless stat geeks that I somehow got invited into, they were arguing about degrom & sherzer & the cy young award, so I dropped this little gem in there, I've been getting alerts on my phone from that app at least once a minute for the past hour

" Scherzer’s ERA would be lower than deGrom’s if Max had as little run support as deGrom does. Max pitches to the score, does what he needs to make sure the Nats win. deGrom’s demeanor - for whatever reason - just doesn’t inspire his team. That’s on him. Plus, Max pounds the strike zone more. Pounding the strike zone pumps up the team & gets them off the field faster. deGrom just nibbles around the corner & his teammates don't like to play with him"

I'm guessing I'll be uninvited from that group soon
Hahahaha

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
they were predictably pissed. met the guy who invited me in to the groupchat at a girlfriends work function, he's a math professor of some sort. instead of using their knowledge of stats for something useful like gambling or DFS, they spent the last week debating how many games a team would win in a season if position players pitched all 9 innings every games. who gives a shit

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
they were predictably pissed. met the guy who invited me in to the groupchat at a girlfriends work function, he's a math professor of some sort. instead of using their knowledge of stats for something useful like gambling or DFS, they spent the last week debating how many games a team would win in a season if position players pitched all 9 innings every games. who gives a shit
If every team did that and you combined all the records at the end of the season, I'd say that 1/2 of the games would be won and 1/2 of the games would be lost.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
For qualifying baserunners, Albert Pujols is the slowest guy in the league.

He has a sprint speed of 22.4 ft/s
Brian McCann is the slowest catcher at 22.5 ft/s

Get it in gear, Albert!

Much to my surprise, Byron Buxton is the fastest at 30.5 ft/s
Billy Hamilton is 2nd at 30.1 ft/s

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
My head almost exploded when Billy H - batting 9th - got to 1st base and they had leadoff hitter Peraza sac bunt him to 2nd base. So fucking dumb.

Take 2 pitches and Billy is standing on 3rd. No reason to give up an out there.

That's some Dusty Baker shit right there.
There should be a gameshow where they take the worst managers in baseball & run them through hypothetical situations & ask them how they'd handle it.

James the host: "The best base-stealer in the game is sitting on first base with no outs, you've got the top of the order at the plate, how are you going to handle it?"

Jim Riggleman: "James, I'm bunting him over right away, no question about it in my mind!"

Buck Showalter: "James there's only one way to handle this, I'm going to wait until my guy at the plate gets to an 0-2 count, then I'm going to ask him to try to lay down a bunt on the next pitch that's going to be way outta the strikezone."

Aaron Boone: "I'm not gonna make any call here, James, I'm just going to bitch at the homeplate ump from the dugout about the wide strikezone he's had against us all game. Maybe I'll get ejected & it fires up my guys."

Ned Yost: "Don't think there's any two ways about this, James, I'm just going to stare straight ahead, look as confused as possible, & then after the at-bat is over I'm going to think about what I should have done."

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
There should be an apology from all yankoff fans and jock sniffers.....this season is done......

#wannabes

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
if you guys have twitter & want to fill your feeds with comedy, start following DFS touts. Today I read about indoor/outdoor ERA splits, hadn't heard that one before

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Tanaka has given up 17 homeruns tonight and Boone doesn't have anyone warming up.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
45 games left in the season. At 46-1/2 games out, it is impossible for Baltimore to win the division.

If both Boston and Baltimore continue their current pace, Baltimore will finish 66 games out of 1st place. The modern era record is held by the Boston Doves in 1909 who finished 65-1/2 games back from the Pittsburgh Pirates.

After a few name changes, the Boston Doves would eventually move to Milwaukee as the Braves before finally settling in Atlanta in 1966.

Last edited:

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
45 games left in the season. At 46-1/2 games out, it is impossible for Baltimore to win the division.

If both Boston and Baltimore continue their current pace, Baltimore will finish 66 games out of 1st place. The modern era record is held by the Boston Doves in 1909 who finished 65-1/2 games back from the Pittsburgh Pirates.

After a few name changes, the Boston Doves would eventually move to Milwaukee as the Braves before finally settling in Atlanta in 1966.
Baltimore is in a tight race with the Royals to see who breaks this record.