Sports 2021 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Better starting pitching would help your hitting as well. Guys change their approach when they are down 5 runs after 2 innings.
We knew pitching was going to be an issue this year. That's to be expected when you have to roll with Kluber/Taillon coming off of injuries, German being up in the air as he's still young, Montegomery a season removed from TJ... Seve out until mid-season as best after TJ. Starting pitching was always a huge question mark.

But whatever Thames has done with the bats is remarkable. He's getting guys, veterans even, to hit 50points lower than their career averages. I think some of that is his fault and some is the fault of Boone moving guys all around the field and up and down the lineup every damn day. It may not seem like a big deal but when you never know whether you're hitting 3rd or 7th AND you aren't even sure what position you're playing in the field it's hard to find a rhythm or consistent approach.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
We knew pitching was going to be an issue this year. That's to be expected when you have to roll with Kluber/Taillon coming off of injuries, German being up in the air as he's still young, Montegomery a season removed from TJ... Seve out until mid-season as best after TJ. Starting pitching was always a huge question mark.

But whatever Thames has done with the bats is remarkable. He's getting guys, veterans even, to hit 50points lower than their career averages. I think some of that is his fault and some is the fault of Boone moving guys all around the field and up and down the lineup every damn day. It may not seem like a big deal but when you never know whether you're hitting 3rd or 7th AND you aren't even sure what position you're playing in the field it's hard to find a rhythm or consistent approach.
Yeah. I get that.

Although sometimes mgrs move the lineup around to get a spark. Bell did that with Suarez when he moved him from 4th to 1st - I was like WTF but he did start hitting better and has since moved back to 4th /5th. He's still hitting .170 but he's making better contact of late.

Changing positions is irritating. I used to hate when I'd float from 3rd to SS to catcher game to game to game.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Yeah. I get that.

Although sometimes mgrs move the lineup around to get a spark. Bell did that with Suarez when he moved him from 4th to 1st - I was like WTF but he did start hitting better and has since moved back to 4th /5th. He's still hitting .170 but he's making better contact of late.

Changing positions is irritating. I used to hate when I'd float from 3rd to SS to catcher game to game to game.
Flipping a couple of guys around the lineup would be one thing but he'll move 6 guys all over the damn place. It's just goofy.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
The Yankees start a cheating pitcher who uses foreign substances

Actually, at least 2, the other a reliever who likes to throw 100 mph at peoples heads

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Flipping a couple of guys around the lineup would be one thing but he'll move 6 guys all over the damn place. It's just goofy.
Agreed. Move too many things at once you lose touch with what helped and what didn't.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Jacob DeGrom is having a season of the ages.

64 innings.
103 Ks
26 hits
8 walks
4 Earned Runs
0.53 whip
0.56 era

If these stats continue, get ready for people to make the MVP argument.

I find W/L records for pitchers a useless stat. Case in point, he is 6-2

His 2 "losses" combined:
14 innings
8 hits
2 earned runs
23 Ks
1 walk

Domination.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
MLB cracking down on pitching "stick-em"

Starters to be searched twice a game
Relievers to be searched once a game

If a substance is found on a pitcher he's ejected from the game and suspended 10 games.

If a position player is found to be assisting the pitcher with doctoring the ball, both the position player and the pitcher are ejected and each are suspended 10 games.

Suspended players can not be replaced on roster - teams will compete with 25 players instead of 26.

Only the rosin bag can be used to improve a pitcher's grip.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
some of you guys might be interested in this: OOTP finally released it's app & its fucking awesome. free to download & free to play.

try it out. I'm guessing a few here will love it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8xG2I4RLI

• 3D in-game action
  • 2021 MLB rosters including full minor leagues. This will be a $4.99 in-app purchase. Buy once, create as many 2021 MLB games as you like.
  • Some international leagues
  • Full fictional league support, including the 800+ fictional team logos. Fictional games are 100% free.
  • Historical MLB leagues 1901 - 2020 ($0.99 per season, bundles available, buy once and create as many games as you like)
  • Full cross-platform Perfect Team. Manage your PT22 team from everywhere, both desktop and mobile.
  • Unlimited career play, there is no year limit.
  • Financial system, player drafts, tons of league settings & options
  • Much more...

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
Jacob DeGrom is having a season of the ages.

64 innings.
103 Ks
26 hits
8 walks
4 Earned Runs
0.53 whip
0.56 era

If these stats continue, get ready for people to make the MVP argument.

I find W/L records for pitchers a useless stat. Case in point, he is 6-2

His 2 "losses" combined:
14 innings
8 hits
2 earned runs
23 Ks
1 walk

Domination.

View: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1403515178742845440

View: https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1403514383569989637

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
some of you guys might be interested in this: OOTP finally released it's app & its fucking awesome. free to download & free to play.

try it out. I'm guessing a few here will love it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8xG2I4RLI

Is the app comparable to the PC version?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
As someone that was a pitcher, he's not wrong. With the way that the MLB messes with the balls and makes changes to the threads every year and has turned a blind eye to people gaming the system for years at every level it's quite shitty to just randomly put a hard stop on it.

He's also correct that it is more dangerous. So many guys in the league throwing 100mph these days and now they're not going to have the full control that they're used to. So they're either going to have to change their mechanics which could lead to injury or risk the ball going all over the damn place and cracking batters in the head more often.

I'm not mad at them trying to "clean up the game" which is short for "we need more runs being scored" but the way the league did it is bullshit.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
Is the app comparable to the PC version?
surprisingly yes. IIRC, they are still working out waivers (which is big IMO). I was very surprised how much they put into the app.

my only problem is it can be pretty small on the phone, but I'm only using it to check my "Perfect Team" at the moment. I am going to start a new Mets Franchise today & see how it goes.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
anyone hear Pete Alonso's theory?

balls are juiced when there is a big Pitching FA class coming up, deadened when it's the batters, to keep salaries down.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
He's also correct that it is more dangerous. So many guys in the league throwing 100mph these days and now they're not going to have the full control that they're used to. So they're either going to have to change their mechanics which could lead to injury or risk the ball going all over the damn place and cracking batters in the head more often.
“Whatever they want to use to help control the ball, let them use it, because for me, I go in the box every single day, and I see guys throwing harder and harder every day, and I don’t want 99 slipping out of someone’s hand,” Alonso said.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
A little sunscreen and rosin goes a long way.

Having these guys slapping so much stickum on that they look like Lester Hayes is a bit much.

Baseball doing a full stop midseason is bullshit.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
They should also ban the use of anything that batters use on the bat to increase their grip and control.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
They should also ban the use of anything that batters use on the bat to increase their grip and control.
Can't they just flatten the seams?

Let the pitchers keep their grip-assist and keep their control, but the lower seams should bring an end to the Bugs Bunny curveballs.

It will also let the ball travel further.

win/win ??

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Can't they just flatten the seams?

Let the pitchers keep their grip-assist and keep their control, but the lower seams should bring an end to the Bugs Bunny curveballs.

It will also let the ball travel further.

win/win ??
I think I read that they already have done that...

(Can't check right now... Driving)

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds have to be close to calling up Hunter Greene.
Dude throws straight gas. He's been clocked at 105, but typically is right around the 101 mark.

In 7 starts in AA Chattanooga, he's 5-0 with a 1.98 ERA
41 innings. 60 Ks. 14 walks.

I think he'll move to AAA in short order where they'll give him a couple starts. With continued success at that level, he'll move to the bigs.

He was the #2 overall selection in the 2017 MLB draft.
Like Ohtani, he can also hit. He won the Junior HR Derby during the 2016 MLB All Star Game, although I don't see him getting many ABs unless he's a starter.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1403763587055820805
Reds promote Greene to AAA

If one of his starts line up with a home game, I might drive down to Louisville and check it out.
There's a winery down that way that I like anyway - so it's an excuse to stock up on some more Huber Catawba.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Another good example of tunneling...

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1403161814054096897

I picked a Yankees pitcher to infuriate SuperPig @Willthiswork and Robbie Hart @Robbie Hart at the same time.

Set up with a 2 seamer that comes back into the zone and is taken for a called strike.
Followed by a cutter that starts out with the same path - only 4 mph difference - but breaks off the plate for a swing and miss.
Cheaters, no wonder Jarrett Coal won 19 in a row or however many cheating games he won in a row