4 Rules in MMA That Should Be Reexamined

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
4 Rules in MMA That Should Be Reexamined | Bleacher Report

Mixed martial arts is still a young sport, and that means there should be more flexibility to changing rules.

All sport change their rules to make their games more exciting and more safe. The major sports all convene on a yearly basis to discuss rule changes. MMA should follow suit in having swifter action toward the rule changes. The sport follows the unified rules set by the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC).

So what should the ABC reexamine for MMA? Here are four areas the governing body should look into the next time they meet...

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was a Licensed MMA Judge in several states including Nevada(I have judged mma in Vegas as well). I have said time and time again until the politics regarding judging are taken out of mma it will never change. The first event I judged in Vegas I was blown away at the discussions these people have and more so how clueless they are about the sport. A majority are older boxing judges that have zero clue but it's a "good old boys" type of club and wont change until they are made to. I have strongly suggested for years that every legit gym in every state have someone apply to be a judge. Start trying to weed these people out. They are there to make a few hundred dollars or more and a free trip paid for by the promoter. I judged two fights on my first card and made $900.00 plus my room(two nights) and meals.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I was a Licensed MMA Judge in several states including Nevada(I have judged mma in Vegas as well). I have said time and time again until the politics regarding judging are taken out of mma it will never change. The first event I judged in Vegas I was blown away at the discussions these people have and more so how clueless they are about the sport. A majority are older boxing judges that have zero clue but it's a "good old boys" type of club and wont change until they are made to. I have strongly suggested for years that every legit gym in every state have someone apply to be a judge. Start trying to weed these people out. They are there to make a few hundred dollars or more and a free trip paid for by the promoter. I judged two fights on my first card and made $900.00 plus my room(two nights) and meals.
Preach brother! Totally agree. Judges needs to be fighters, former fighters, or people involved in the sport in some capacity. The argument of some will be "well what if these people are biased towards fighters they know?" They couldn't be any more biased than what we see now (the ref on this last card for example).

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Knees to a grounded opponent:

The rule of what is and isn't grounded needs to be changed rather than just allowing knees to a grounded opponent.

Knees to the the top of the head in a North South position? Don't like it.

Knees to the head from side control? Don't like it - too much risk of damage to the temple.

Flying knee to the face of a guy who has been crumpled against the cage by strikes to the head? No thanks.

Knees to the head of a dickhead who is trying to play the system by putting his hand down on the mat? Feel free.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Here is how anal they are in Nevada. They have a certain way they decide on where each judge sits. Person who has been a judge the longest decides first where they want to sit and so on. Now I had no idea about any of this stuff because it's between the judges and not the state soI go sit my happy ass down and this relic comes up to me and says "you need to move you're in my seat". So being it's my first time there I move. Now keep in mind I have judged and licensed in a shit ton of states and have never came across this but when in Rome. So I go sit in a different seat to be told by an even older fuck "you're in my seat". After the fight I go to Herb Dean, who I've known for a long time and ask him "wtf I'm doing wrong"? He just laughs and tells me how this is one of the weird ass things these old cocksuckers do and just wait until both people are seated and then go sit in the empty judges chair".

Really folks we're more concerned about where we sit instaed of judging or talking about judging.

I have judged at events where only a couple hundred people were at and all the judges did in between fights is discuss how people say the previous fight so you could increase you ability. Nevada judges never talked about fights but what they were doing afterwards as most seemed like they didn't want to even be there.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Hired Gun @Hired Gun it would be awesome if you could create a thread outlining mma judging. Maybe a quick how to get involved and what to look for once you're in? Its always been a hot topic but no real changes have neen made so info like the above is a good read.