General A thread to discuss and follow the incoming inflation bomb

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
This is obviously very anecdotal but the Lowe's and Home Depot stores I've been in recently have had "unadvertised, in store sales" on most of the lumber aisle in an obvious attempt to move inventory without calling a lot of attention to it.
Not surprised.

That's an effort to clear the decks on higher priced inventory so they can average down by bringing in cheaper product.

They might look like deals now, but if you wait a month it will likely be cheaper than their current "sale" price.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I gotta put in a 96 foot long and 8 foot high cedar fence on part of my property
pricing materials today

might get ugly
I'd be curious to see what you are quoted.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I just looked up the local price - the box stores here are selling 5.5" 8-foot cedar pickets for $5.15 each. So here, and for 96 feet, that would be approximately $1100 for just the pickets.

Also curious to see what prices are elsewhere.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I just looked up the local price - the box stores here are selling 5.5" 8-foot cedar pickets for $5.15 each. So here, and for 96 feet, that would be approximately $1100 for just the pickets.

Also curious to see what prices are elsewhere.
I looked those up here at the box stores in this area.
Unavailable.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
But still not cheaper than it was pre-Covid
?
I said back to pre-covid prices within 18 months with the understanding that there will be some inflation impact on prices. We're there way ahead of schedule. I think they'll still come back a little more, but Joe Biden's hilariously dumb town hall gave the market a reason to do a dead cat bounce.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I said back to pre-covid prices within 18 months with the understanding that there will be some inflation impact on prices. We're there way ahead of schedule. I think they'll still come back a little more, but Joe Biden's hilariously dumb town hall gave the market a reason to do a dead cat bounce.
His town hall was dumber than 3 days of rain, but I do think lumber found a new "level"

We'll see.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
His town hall was dumber than 3 days of rain, but I do think lumber found a new "level"

We'll see.
The market: "Lumbers coming way down."
Joe Biden at his townhall: "Lumbers going through the roof!"
The market: "If you insist."

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The market: "Lumbers coming way down."
Joe Biden at his townhall: "Lumbers going through the roof!"
The market: "If you insist."
Did he talk about lumber in his town hall?

I was in a bar. It was on with the sound off and everyone in the bar was just mocking the shit out of him. I wish I would have recorded that. It was some funny shit.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I looked those up here at the box stores in this area.
Unavailable.
I just checked on availability, I had only looked up the price earlier.

My local Lowes does not have in the store, but says they can be ordered (whatever that really means). My nearby Home Depot says they have 618 in stock and on the shelf. Home Depot's price was $4.96 compared to Lowes $5.15 (these prices are for 5/8 5.5" 8-footers)

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Did he talk about lumber in his town hall?

I was in a bar. It was on with the sound off and everyone in the bar was just mocking the shit out of him. I wish I would have recorded that. It was some funny shit.
He was talking about how 2x4s went from 20 to 30 cents. I think he might actually be the greatest president of all time, he just doesnt realize it's not 1930 so his plans are a little outdated.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I just looked up the local price - the box stores here are selling 5.5" 8-foot cedar pickets for $5.15 each.
8.49 apiece here
We are getting gouged even though we have all the trees and mills right in the same valley as the stores

I think they charge more because they can...cost of living is very high in this part of oregon

So for 100 foot of 8 foot tall 5.5 inch boards I'm looking at $1090

I prefer to use 7.5 inch boards and they are 11.00 a pop so that comes out to $1760

This property also has a neighbor who is cheap and/or frugal...so I doubt they will be helping with cost anytime soon at these prices.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm looking at 2200 to 3000(give or take a few hundred) for materials alone for this 100 foot long 8 foot tall fence
Gonna take quite a bit of labor which I will likely end up doing myself

4 x 4 x 10 pressure treated is 27 bucks

2 x 4 x 8 pressure treated is 9 bucks(I prefer to use 2x6x8 which is 12.75)

1x8x8 of quality western red cedar flat top is 11.00
1x8x6 of quality western red cedar flat top is 8.49

We get a shitload or rain and moisture for 8 months of the year so I don't like to use low quality wood because it will rot out pretty fast...So if I'm gonna do it I do it quality even though this one is mainly a rental property.

I am probably gonna ride it out another year and see if something changes with prices, I think I did a high quality 100 foot fence on the other side of the property 10 years ago for 850 total in materials.

M

member 1013

The Bank of Canada insists the recent acceleration is transitory, but expects annual CPI to remain above 3 per cent for the rest of 2021, and not return sustainably to its 2-per-cent target until 2024. Some forecasters are pencilling in price hikes of around 4 per cent in the coming months.

“Inflation remains elevated by any stretch of the imagination,” said Jimmy Jean, chief economist at Desjardins Securities. “The elements are still there for price pressures to be fairly robust.”

kneeblock @kneeblock!!

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The Bank of Canada insists the recent acceleration is transitory, but expects annual CPI to remain above 3 per cent for the rest of 2021, and not return sustainably to its 2-per-cent target until 2024. Some forecasters are pencilling in price hikes of around 4 per cent in the coming months.

“Inflation remains elevated by any stretch of the imagination,” said Jimmy Jean, chief economist at Desjardins Securities. “The elements are still there for price pressures to be fairly robust.”

kneeblock @kneeblock!!
First off, nobody gaf about toonies.

Second, we're obviously nowhere near the runaway inflation you doomers were forecasting.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Where you at Hauler @Hauler ?

It's still higher than pre-covid levels - and it's actually trending up again by a little bit.

Mills have already made curtailments and the fires out west are delaying shipments. It will be interesting to see where it settles.