General Alec Baldwin fired the gun that killed one and injured another in an accident set of his film "Rust."

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I asked myself the same question- why are live rounds anywhere near a set?

What I could find was that the armorer was using the gun to shoot off live rounds on weekends or something, and poor gun handling was being followed. Baldwin likely had no idea the gun was loaded with live rounds. It's not really the actors' responsibility to know that kind of thing, especially someone so staunchly anti-gun. The right will never EVER let him forget this. These are the kinds of things that end people's careers. I can almost hear the 2A-tards now.

Conversely, Brandon Lee was killed by a different fuck up: "the prop gun was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen."

Either way, WTF

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I asked myself the same question- why are live rounds anywhere near a set?

What I could find was that the armorer was using the gun to shoot off live rounds on weekends or something, and poor gun handling was being followed. Baldwin likely had no idea the gun was loaded with live rounds. It's not really the actors' responsibility to know that kind of thing, especially someone so staunchly anti-gun. The right will never EVER let him forget this. These are the kinds of things that end people's careers. I can almost hear the 2A-tards now.

Conversely, Brandon Lee was killed by a different fuck up: "the prop gun was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen."

Either way, WTF
The name John Eric Hexum comes to mind. Another actor who accidentally died on set this way.
iirc he jokingly held it to his head and pulled the trigger. I think the blanks in the gun killed him though.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It's not really the actors' responsibility to know that kind of thing, especially someone so staunchly anti-gun.
A gun is a gun
Anyone handling one should know basic safety and operation

Him being anti gun really shouldn't have any bearing on it IMO

Do the blanks and live rounds look identical? I don't think they do...at least the ones I have seen are crimped and obviously lack a projectile

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
This is all allegedly, by the way. Though he's absolutely guilty.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
A gun is a gun
Anyone handling one should know basic safety and operation

Him being anti gun really shouldn't have any bearing on it IMO

Do the blanks and live rounds look identical? I don't think they do...at least the ones I have seen are crimped and obviously lack a projectile
If he was really anti-gun he wouldn't make his money using them...