Aquariums

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ruDj

Jan 23, 2015
imo, bigger = less work.

i have a couple fresh water eel (not sure the name) that I love.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Saltwater I've never done.. apprehensive to say the least..

Honestly.. I'd dump ALL of that shit out of that 10 gallon.. go to petco, get the ecocomplete 20lb bag and dump that right in. Get some plants, and a piece of driftwood/cholawood to put in there also
Is this ecocomplete some to grow real plants in as opposed to the fake shit? I'm sure what I have is a 25 gal and have read the plants can be tricky. I really have no idea and hoping to get a cool setup going before I add fish. I'll more than likely be getting some shrimp too :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Will do. May try to start her off with a 30 gallon. What do you think?
From what little I've been told by the two stores I've been to a 25-30 gal is a good start. I'm into mine now for $120 total and most of that was the heater ($40) and just a bunch of small shit to get going. Once the water is all good me and the kids are going to pick some fish out, very exciting.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
From what little I've been told by the two stores I've been to a 25-30 gal is a good start. I'm into mine now for $120 total and most of that was the heater ($40) and just a bunch of small shit to get going. Once the water is all good me and the kids are going to pick some fish out, very exciting.
Nice. I'm going to take her shopping this week. My brother-in-law (who spoils our kids rotten), just had a cat that had kittens. My youngest has been all over my ass to let her have one. We already have one, and I don't want another. I'm hoping this fish tank will take her mind off of that, lol. Plus - she deserves a gift from dad for being so bad ass at this cheer comp :)

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Fish tanks are cool as shit, I've always wanted one. Maybe I'll follow this thread.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Is this ecocomplete some to grow real plants in as opposed to the fake shit? I'm sure what I have is a 25 gal and have read the plants can be tricky. I really have no idea and hoping to get a cool setup going before I add fish. I'll more than likely be getting some shrimp too :)
Looks like a 10. Anyway. Ecocomplete for the base and some black sand on top is what i have. Ecocomplete is 23$ for a 20lb bag at petco. DO NOT BUY FISH FROM THEM. trust me on that.. Their shit wiped out my entire 13gal tank over christmas.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Looks like a 10. Anyway. Ecocomplete for the base and some black sand on top is what i have. Ecocomplete is 23$ for a 20lb bag at petco. DO NOT BUY FISH FROM THEM. trust me on that.. Their shit wiped out my entire 13gal tank over christmas.
Any reason for that? (I always have to know the why and how)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Is this so you can have living plants as well as the fish? Will you have to be more careful when selecting what plants/fish combo you go with? No issue with these plants in small tanks?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
OK I just measured and my rank is 20"x10"x12" so Ryann Von Doom @RyannVonDoom is correct, 10 gal it is. I'm going to price out a 25 right now.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Is this so you can have living plants as well as the fish? Will you have to be more careful when selecting what plants/fish combo you go with? No issue with these plants in small tanks?
That 10er i got has the vals, some java moss and some Java fern. I like the skinny vals and java ferns. Java fern and java moss the shrimps love.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Any reason for that? (I always have to know the why and how)
They usually are sick.. They all had ich and it killed everything but the pleco. Lost 5 harlequin rasboras, 3 neons, 3 green corycats and a panda corycat because of petco's fish. Get hardware there, not livestock.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
They usually are sick.. They all had ich and it killed everything but the pleco. Lost 5 harlequin rasboras, 3 neons, 3 green corycats and a panda corycat because of petco's fish. Get hardware there, not livestock.
Best place to get live stock?

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Also, go with easy low light plants.. Amazon swords, moss balls, java ferns and java moss. Will help keep the maint down and make fish feel more at ease.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Best place to get live stock?
Local fish store. I drive an hour to get mine from a good place. Just scout them out, ask questions and pay close attention to the fish.

For me, the focal point was the shrimp.. So i made a tank that worked around them with plants and fish that would be agreeable.

ruDj

Jan 23, 2015

This Petsmart 15 gallon was my first and still my fav. Its now at my office with 4 thriving goldfish. Added a larger filter and have it bubbling like a Jacuzzi, change a bucket of water a week. Every couple years, I release the over fed fish back to my local pet store! lol

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

This Petsmart 15 gallon was my first and still my fav. Its now at my office with 4 thriving goldfish. Added a larger filter and have it bubbling like a Jacuzzi, change a bucket of water a week. Every couple years, I release the over fed fish back to my local pet store! lol
This would be perfect for my daughter.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
This would be perfect for my daughter.
Who ever said it earlier that smaller tanks are more challenging.. are correct IMO.. If one thing happens, the whole thing can blow up in your face. I'd go with the 29gal and go nuts with the aquascaping.

I got my 10gal new in box for 20$... only reason I got it that small.