Bellator 180 & Bellator NYC: Live Discussion - June 24, 2017

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You would be very optimistic with that assumption.

I think that it probably sold pretty well so it's successful in that regard but after the Davis/Bader mess on Spike and then a lackluster Lima fight to start off the PPV, a hype train being derailed in 24 seconds, Chandler ankle snafu with a moron yelling in celebration, double KO, Gracie accidentally being the "co-main," and then Chael snuggle with a sad Wandy... there was entertainment... But I wouldn't say that any fight fans were created.
That's a good question. Did anyone that wasn't loyal follower of Bellator before tonight, become one after this event? I agree that most probably did not.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
ECC170 @ECC170 Robbie Hart @Robbie Hart
Lol Aaron Pico.

One day you guys will listen to me.
Your jealousy of his wrestling pedigree is understandable, however I don't understand what you thought you knew about his mma skills that no one outside of his camp would have known or why you thought this.....and all in his camp said he was a force to be reckoned with (Cormier, for example, isn't someone who backs every horse because the people wanted to hype him) and I didn't see the fight and it was quick so not really something I would be able to judge him on.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
They matched him up against a guy with decent skill, all around, who was bigger, longer, stronger, and happened to catch him better than he caught in the first exchanges.

The error was in the management. What happened to him is sort of what's happened to athletically gifted wrestlers walking into BJJ schools for years, just in a more specific setting. He got stunned, shot, and got guillotined. Not a new thing, just happened on an incongruously big stage.

Management tried to take a shortcut and it didn't pay off.

They matched him up against a guy with decent skill, all around, who was bigger, longer, stronger, and happened to catch him better than he caught in the first exchanges.

The error was in the management. What happened to him is sort of what's happened to athletically gifted wrestlers walking into BJJ schools for years, just in a more specific setting. He got stunned, shot, and got guillotined. Not a new thing, just happened on an incongruously big stage.

Management tried to take a shortcut and it didn't pay off.
To shorten this...He was humbled...I have zero doubt he will learn from this and come back better.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Your jealousy of his wrestling pedigree is understandable, however I don't understand what you thought you knew about his mma skills that no one outside of his camp would have known or why you thought this.....and all in his camp said he was a force to be reckoned with (Cormier, for example, isn't someone who backs every horse because the people wanted to hype him) and I didn't see the fight and it was quick so not really something I would be able to judge him on.
He doesn't have a camp.

99% of the people who talk about his potential as a prospect, media and ppl on forums, have never actually seen him box someone or compete in wrestling tournaments. You're being sold bullshit.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
If you step back, and look at the scenario from the eyes of someone in the future, people aren't going to see it as "Chael called out someone who just got knocked out." They will see it as "Chael called out Fedor!!"

Many want Fedor to retire. But a fight versus chaEl is something that even those people might get behind since it is not likely that fedor suffers shots like he took against mittrione.

In other words, in time, i suspect that thiw callout will prove to a good call out from a business perspective, for both Chael and the emperor

Time is an illusion created by man to make sense of the 4th dimension, since we are prisoners of it. In reality, time exists. Past, present, and future. Brainstorming from the perspective of a hypothetical future has value, and Chael did that. Props to him. Smart dude

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
You would be very optimistic with that assumption.

I think that it probably sold pretty well so it's successful in that regard but after the Davis/Bader mess on Spike and then a lackluster Lima fight to start off the PPV, a hype train being derailed in 24 seconds, Chandler ankle snafu with a moron yelling in celebration, double KO, Gracie accidentally being the "co-main," and then Chael snuggle with a sad Wandy... there was entertainment... But I wouldn't say that any fight fans were created.
Did fans find the evening entertaining and worth their time?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
chael almost quit after one punch...wandy forgot about sprawling

Shaub was horrible looking back on it

Fedor and Matt did a bar room brawl style match...first strike lands flush LOL nice defense fellas

Pico...wow

Chandler floppy ankle

Goldie still funny

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Did fans find the evening entertaining and worth their time?
Depends on their viewing experience and expectations. If they went to a bar to watch then it was definitely entertaining but I'm not sure it was worth their time.

If they paid $50 like I did then I'm not so sure. Once again, I found it to be really entertaining but kind of like how I find Scary Movie and Naked Gun to be entertaining. The fights that I paid for were not good. It was worth my time because I'm a ridiculous fight fan that was entertained but if I had been expecting good fights then it was absolutely not worth the money as the ones that had the best chance of being good were very disappointing; Lima/Larkin, Chandler/Primus, and even Pico/Freeman was intriguing going into it.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Depends on their viewing experience and expectations. If they went to a bar to watch then it was definitely entertaining but I'm not sure it was worth their time.

If they paid $50 like I did then I'm not so sure. Once again, I found it to be really entertaining but kind of like how I find Scary Movie and Naked Gun to be entertaining. The fights that I paid for were not good. It was worth my time because I'm a ridiculous fight fan that was entertained but if I had been expecting good fights then it was absolutely not worth the money as the ones that had the best chance of being good were very disappointing; Lima/Larkin, Chandler/Primus, and even Pico/Freeman was intriguing going into it.
but you got dave navarro live bro

seriously what the F was that about?

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Just watched the fights last night-

Feels good hearing Mauro and Goldie calling fights again.

Schaub is terrible. He called Bader a knockout artist. When someone said "I think he'd translate from podcast to commentating well" there needed to be someone chiming in with "You'd be surprised..."

I've always loved the stage. Very Japanese MMA.

Heather Hardy could be a star for them. Good debut. Great comeback win. "My hands are hurting for hitting her".

I see Chinzo and he looks so much like Lyoto that I forget he doesn't have the Dragon's takedown defense. I hope they do Gallagher vs McKee for number 1 contender, then feed the winner to Patricio Pitbull for a reality check.

So much for "fighting more free because of the paycheck". Same Bader as always. Davis didn't unload either. Both played it very safe. Laaaame.

Damn good win for Lima. The leg kicks took Larkin out of his game. Hope Lima vs MacDonald is in Canada and on PPV so they stack the card.

I think my jaw hit the floor harder than Pico's did. He just bite off more than he could chew at this point in his career. He'll be back.

Always had respect for Chandler, but I think him toughing it out on one leg made me a fan. Ref could have let it go, but panicked when Chandler kept rolling it.

Double knockdown. Holy shit.

Sad to see Fedor put out like that, but that's the sport. Hope he takes the fight with Chael and fucks him up.

I hope Neiman focuses on wrestling and jiu jitsu vs striking. If he can perfect a double leg, he could go far at WW.

Chael's trash talk won that fight (the relentless takedown to a guy with lacking takedown defense helped). But when Wand dropped him, he charged forward instead of standing him up and punishing him more. Would still love to see Wand vs Vitor 2.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Just watched the fights last night-

Feels good hearing Mauro and Goldie calling fights again.

Schaub is terrible. He called Bader a knockout artist. When someone said "I think he'd translate from podcast to commentating well" there needed to be someone chiming in with "You'd be surprised..."

I've always loved the stage. Very Japanese MMA.

Heather Hardy could be a star for them. Good debut. Great comeback win. "My hands are hurting for hitting her".

I see Chinzo and he looks so much like Lyoto that I forget he doesn't have the Dragon's takedown defense. I hope they do Gallagher vs McKee for number 1 contender, then feed the winner to Patricio Pitbull for a reality check.

So much for "fighting more free because of the paycheck". Same Bader as always. Davis didn't unload either. Both played it very safe. Laaaame.

Damn good win for Lima. The leg kicks took Larkin out of his game. Hope Lima vs MacDonald is in Canada and on PPV so they stack the card.

I think my jaw hit the floor harder than Pico's did. He just bite off more than he could chew at this point in his career. He'll be back.

Always had respect for Chandler, but I think him toughing it out on one leg made me a fan. Ref could have let it go, but panicked when Chandler kept rolling it.

Double knockdown. Holy shit.

Sad to see Fedor put out like that, but that's the sport. Hope he takes the fight with Charm and fucks him up.

I hope Neiman focuses on wrestling and jiu jitsu vs striking. If he can perfect a double leg, he could go far at WW.

Chael's trash talk won that fight (the relentless takedown to a guy with lacking takedown defense helped). But when Wand dropped him, he charged forward instead of standing him up and punishing him more. Would still love to see Wand vs Vitor 2.
Glad the Pony Express finally delivered your beta max tape so you could catch the event. Good breakdown.