General Billionaire Mark Cuban: The Rise of Technology Will Cause a Lot of Unemployment

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I hope it doesn't happen. I hate seeing good people being driven out of work due to shit like outsourcing and automation.
Me too. If they can find a robot to meet with my customers and listen to their shit on a daily basis, more power to em :tearsofjoy:

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I also wonder why little seemed to be done by governments and major orgs in the last 20+ years with regards to this.

Technology and the future was always talked about when I was a kid in the 90s...Always talk about how robots would do all the work for us and humans wouldn't need to do anything.

Well the future has arrived and a lot of that stuff has reigned true for many industries. It appears that despite knowing for decades that this was eventually going to happen, no plans were made to make sure no one got left behind.

It just seemed like there was a mentality of "humans will live in bliss" without there being any substance to that.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I hope it doesn't happen. I hate seeing good people being driven out of work due to shit like outsourcing and automation.
So do I but it's inevitable. The cheaper option will always prevail. There's a reason we don't build roads with saws, shovels and rakes anymore.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Whenever I hear this statement [that technology will lead to unemployment] I point to history. We have record low unemployment and technology is more advanced than ever.

Engines replaced lots of workers on farms. Computers mean one person can do the work of many. Online trading has reduced the need for cashiers, bank tellers and even doctors.

Yet people still have jobs.
Generally speaking, this is economic orthodoxy. Joseph Schumpeter called it "creative destruction," but some modern economists have pointed to the very real possibility of structural unemployment due to automation having accelerated so rapidly since industrialization. In fact, there are some analyses that consider all of this just a continuation of the industrial revolution, but say we've finally reached the ceiling of labor usefulness. Productivity has become fundamentally disentangled from labor in a way it never was during earlier incarnations of industrialization.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Wal mart is the largest employer in the U.S and 'Atlas' from Boston Dynamics can stock shelves.

View: https://youtu.be/zkv-_LqTeQA

Autonomous cars are an issue as well in terms of replacing human jobs. On top of that, autonomous farm machinery and heavy equipment will probably be implemented more rapidly due to there being less of a liability issue when you can program a driverless combine or fence off a construction site and just let them do their thing with very little fear of collisions.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Does this all get fixed if we stop measuring work in hours?
I look forward to this day.

We have members on our staff team who complete less work in a work week than I complete in a work day... Yet we work the same hours. Who is the sucker here?

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I see the writting on the wall for my profession, airline pilot. I only have 15 years left, so I will be okay, but I definitely see first transitioning to one pilot in the cockpit and then eventually none. It's just a matter of time. I'm not encouraging my kids to follow in my footsteps, although I just went up with my son the other day in a 1929 New Standard D-25 open cockpit biplane, and he fucking loved it.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
the entire warehouse industry/shipping/logistics will be affected by those hyper mobile and strong Darpa robots and that is an insane amount of people.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I look forward to this day.

We have members on our staff team who complete less work in a work week than I complete in a work day... Yet we work the same hours. Who is the sucker here?
I agree here, however my fear is that people will be able to charge fuck all for a job being done.

Most articles I write barely pay $20 nowadays. I can't really charge more when they can get some Filipino to do it for less..They probably won't do it as well as me, but they'll do it just good enough for it to not matter.

Even the tax gig I've got right now pays via each return. It's not bad if they're easy but the complicated ones can take ages to do.

I'm all for paying by job, but again it's gotta be done in a way that doesn't result in.a race to the bottom.

And as far as the market deciding, I only agree with that to a point. If ppl can only do a $50 for $10, there is someone out there who will do it instead of getting nothing at all

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I see the writting on the wall for my profession, airline pilot. I only have 15 years left, so I will be okay, but I definitely see first transitioning to one pilot in the cockpit and then eventually none. It's just a matter of time. I'm not encouraging my kids to follow in my footsteps, although I just went up with my son the other day in a 1929 New Standard D-25 open cockpit biplane, and he fucking loved it.
I'm not sure about aircraft. I work in railway safety and have worked somewhat extensively on automated systems. They work because the trains have a fail safe state; slam on the brakes. Same with automated cars.

I'm not an aeronautics engineer but I'm guessing that with a plane, you can't just turn everything off. Even gliding down in the event of a power out requires someone to guide it.