BJJ promotions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Sandbagger.... Comprido said that Brock was at least purple belt level when he first started training him, and thought that he could win ADCC..... Just a blue belt????
Maybe his technique is so bad he mentally demoted him...lol

M

member 603

Since we're talking promotions, I guess I should mention that I was promoted today.... I went from a white patched black belt to a red patched black belt.... 2 years since I was promoted to the day

M

member 603

I guess I had to go full size on the picture to upload it the correct way up..... Yay new black belt level

M

member 603

@Rhino congrats mate :) What's a white bar?
Ok so non IBJJF schools use it... Royce uses it, as does the Gracie Academy, and Caique does too (he is the coach of a few UFC fighters and came out of the old school Gracie Academy... Like the 80's/90's pre UFC through Royce's run days). In the IBJJF, when you get your Black Belt, you automatically get your red patch (and if you own a school, you can get your professor bars.. the two white stripes at the end... right away), then 3 years later you get your first degree (then 3 for the second degree, 3 year for the third, 5 years for the fourth through sixth, etc).

In the other system, when you get your black belt, you start with a white patch which signifies that you are a black belt fighter/competitor, after two years you earn your red patch which means you're a black belt instructor, then two years after that you get your professor bars (the two white stripes at the end), THEN two years after that you can get your first degree.

I have friends who were promoted a year after I was to black belt, who will have 2 degrees on their black belt before I get my first LOL

If you look at IBJJF comps now, I've seen an influx of the white patches on belts these last few years... I've seen Leandro Lo wearing it, and a few others

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ok so non IBJJF schools use it... Royce uses it, as does the Gracie Academy, and Caique does too (he is the coach of a few UFC fighters and came out of the old school Gracie Academy... Like the 80's/90's pre UFC through Royce's run days). In the IBJJF, when you get your Black Belt, you automatically get your red patch (and if you own a school, you can get your professor bars.. the two white stripes at the end... right away), then 3 years later you get your first degree (then 3 for the second degree, 3 year for the third, 5 years for the fourth through sixth, etc).

In the other system, when you get your black belt, you start with a white patch which signifies that you are a black belt fighter/competitor, after two years you earn your red patch which means you're a black belt instructor, then two years after that you get your professor bars (the two white stripes at the end), THEN two years after that you can get your first degree.

I have friends who were promoted a year after I was to black belt, who will have 2 degrees on their black belt before I get my first LOL

If you look at IBJJF comps now, I've seen an influx of the white patches on belts these last few years... I've seen Leandro Lo wearing it, and a few others
OK thanks :)

I really like the blue bar.

M

member 603

OK thanks :)

I really like the blue bar.
Yeah that's to represent Helio Gracie. He started wearing a blue belt again because he said that he saw guys getting promotions on their black belts so fast, that it didn't truly signify that they knew the art (like guys who were great competition grapplers, but couldn't teach a basic armbar). He said that black belts don't matter anymore, so he went back to the blue.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah that's to represent Helio Gracie. He started wearing a blue belt again because he said that he saw guys getting promotions on their black belts so fast, that it didn't truly signify that they knew the art (like guys who were great competition grapplers, but couldn't teach a basic armbar). He said that black belts don't matter anymore, so he went back to the blue.
I know he started wearing a blue belt but I thought he just liked it.

I can't imagine anyone winning a black belt tournament and not knowing the details of an armbar.

Last edited:
M

member 603

I know he started wearing a blue belt but I thought he just liked it.

I can't imagine anyone winning a black belt tournament and not knowing the details if an armbar.
Yeah he was mocking them by wearing it, his point was "it's not the belt, it's the knowledge and understanding that matters".

You'd be surprised.... I was at an IBJJF event and I was truly shocked at the bad advice I was hearing black belts give. I've also rolled with great black belts that pull off a crazy moves, and when I ask them to show me it have no idea how to teach it.

M

member 603

Has anyone here been promoted recently? Someone told me that they heard Ashton Kutcher just was promoted recently, but I can't confirm that