BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Focusing a lot on Judo currently, and rolling in 4oz gloves and strikes to help get some of our fighters ready for fights next weekend.
Promotions tonight, then back to our series on fundamental guard passing next week.

On a related note- @Rhino, looks like I will be coming to Orlando for the Association of Boxing Commissions Conference July 29 - Aug 2. Once I get my schedule confirmed, I will message you and see if I can come in to your place and train while I am down there.
Awesome, please come on in and train with us, I'd be honored

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Side note (And I almost feel like making a separate thread on it).... The leg lock game, how many of your gyms have a sole class dedicated to leg locks only? I have seen this as a rising trend..... A lot of gyms I see now have this curriculum... Beginner and Advanced Gi and No Gi, Leg Lock Beginner and Advanced, Pro Training, Drills & Cardio, maybe a self defense class...... Personally, I think this is dumb as fuck, making it all about leg lock attacks (I see a lot of guys now shitting on BJJ, saying that 'Catch Wrestling and Sambo are the only way to go'.... As they wear their BJJ Black Belts).

I hate how I don't see Judo/Wrestling on the schedules, but let's dedicate all this time to showing 90 ashi garami variants that all end in a heel hook gets multiple dedicated class times in a lot of gyms. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE leg locks, and when I was a purple belt, I was ALL about going for them non stop..... But nowadays when I see someone only playing that game, and forgoing other attacks, it annoys me... Everyone thinks they're a member of the DDS now. I just recently rolled against a high level brown belt who everyone told me was a great leg locker, and I wrist locked and darce'd him a shit ton (as he tried to play a deep half entries), he was shocked that he didn't see them coming, I was like HOW?????
My place is guilty of having one no gi leg lock class a week but to be fair they also have a judo class and wrestling class on Sundays before open mat.

Im not a big fan of guys who ONLY go for leglocks, and usually these guys can be beaten by solid fundamentals, they can't pass, have no understanding of how to score points or keep position, but I do need to up my leg lock game.

Working on closed guard, getting up off my back quicker for an easy two point's, and playing a little bit of 50/50. Overall I'm trying to focus on areas and positions where I feel I'm weak in

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Anybody watch Adam Wardzinksi? My coach has been teaching us some of his stuff. He has a great half butterfly game he plays, he links it well with butterfly, half butterfly and single X, his style of guard requires no flexibility and is great for half guard players

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Anybody watch Adam Wardzinksi? My coach has been teaching us some of his stuff. He has a great half butterfly game he plays, he links it well with butterfly, half butterfly and single X, his style of guard requires no flexibility and is great for half guard players
I use some of his half-butterfly stuff.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Noticed swelling in the inside of my ear, it kinda itched a bit and I thought I possibly had a skin infection in the inside of my ear!. My coach said it's not a skin infection but it's cauliflower...

It's only the inside of it that has swollen a bit. Will it go away or do I have to drain it? I'm a pussy when it comes to needles, what shall i do?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Noticed swelling in the inside of my ear, it kinda itched a bit and I thought I possibly had a skin infection in the inside of my ear!. My coach said it's not a skin infection but it's cauliflower...

It's only the inside of it that has swollen a bit. Will it go away or do I have to drain it? I'm a pussy when it comes to needles, what shall i do?
If it is squishy, there is probably enough fluid to drain it. It is unlikely to go away on its own if it looks swollen; so your choices are basically to accept that you will have some cauliflower or get it drained.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
What up playa's? How have you guys been? Who has been working on what?
Been chaining up passes from the knee slice position, into smash passes, tripod passes, hip switch pass.

Can't really word it well but basically if you're opponent is not letting you knee slice then we've been working on bring his hips on to the other side for the smash pass, and then coming back into the knee slice if he is defending the smash pass.

Often guys will frame well and use knee shield to stop the knee slice, so if I bring his hips square up, my aim is to pummel my elbow back inside his knee shield, before I go for the knee slice, from there if I've beaten the knee shield then Im almost guaranteed the pass. It's opened up my passes a lot and given me more options because I have the mobility to go side to side and wait to see what reaction the guarder is giving me

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Side note (And I almost feel like making a separate thread on it).... The leg lock game, how many of your gyms have a sole class dedicated to leg locks only? I have seen this as a rising trend..... A lot of gyms I see now have this curriculum... Beginner and Advanced Gi and No Gi, Leg Lock Beginner and Advanced, Pro Training, Drills & Cardio, maybe a self defense class...... Personally, I think this is dumb as fuck, making it all about leg lock attacks (I see a lot of guys now shitting on BJJ, saying that 'Catch Wrestling and Sambo are the only way to go'.... As they wear their BJJ Black Belts).

I hate how I don't see Judo/Wrestling on the schedules, but let's dedicate all this time to showing 90 ashi garami variants that all end in a heel hook gets multiple dedicated class times in a lot of gyms. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE leg locks, and when I was a purple belt, I was ALL about going for them non stop..... But nowadays when I see someone only playing that game, and forgoing other attacks, it annoys me... Everyone thinks they're a member of the DDS now. I just recently rolled against a high level brown belt who everyone told me was a great leg locker, and I wrist locked and darce'd him a shit ton (as he tried to play a deep half entries), he was shocked that he didn't see them coming, I was like HOW?????
Reverse Danaher Syndrome. He forgot about the other 50% of the body.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Been drilling berimbolo/crab rides/leg drag finishes over the last few weeks and I can see the improvements already.

I actually enjoy drilling now, hated it when I was a whitebelt all I wanted to do was roll.

Now I meet up with my training partners in between classes and we'll just drill a series of techniques for about an hour without hardly even speaking to each other, just keep flowing through techniques

Last edited:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Been drilling berimbolo/crab rides/leg drag finishes over the last few weeks and I can see the improvements already.

I actually enjoy drilling now, hated it when I was a whitebelt all I wanted to do was roll.

Now I meet up with my training partners in between classes and we'll just drill a series of techniques for about an hour without hardly even speaking to each other, just keep flowing through techniques
I can't wait until I can get into this routine.

I keep getting trapped on my back in side control, need some tips on working my my out of anybody has some. It's only problematic with dudes out weoghomg me as of now but I want to have a fighting chance if I ever complete against better guys my size.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I keep getting trapped on my back in side control
Join the club, I think this happens to EVERYBODY.
Concentrate on keeping frames, making space and either turning in to re-guard or turn away to turtle. Then start concentrating on realizing when your guard is passed and it is time to start blocking the cross facing arm instead of trying to retain guard.
Let me see if I have any clips of the general techniques I use to survive/escape bottom side control.
I think what helps the most is rolling with the biggest guys you can find and starting in bottom side. It will suck for a long time, but after a few months you will start noticing that you squirt out of bottom side fairly easily with guys smaller than you, then guys your size.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Join the club, I think this happens to EVERYBODY.
Concentrate on keeping frames, making space and either turning in to re-guard or turn away to turtle. Then start concentrating on realizing when your guard is passed and it is time to start blocking the cross facing arm instead of trying to retain guard.
Let me see if I have any clips of the general techniques I use to survive/escape bottom side control.
I think what helps the most is rolling with the biggest guys you can find and starting in bottom side. It will suck for a long time, but after a few months you will start noticing that you squirt out of bottom side fairly easily with guys smaller than you, then guys your size.
I think one of my issues is something you've wrote, knowing when to try something new. All things being equal I'm decent at getting back to half then full guard and working from there. The thought of turtling is very strange to me still as I don't have many tools there yet. The escape where you underhook far side and try to get on you elbow and stand out or dive back in for a sweep is what I keep trying but just getting to a knee is super tough I find. Just time I suppose.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I think one of my issues is something you've wrote, knowing when to try something new. All things being equal I'm decent at getting back to half then full guard and working from there. The thought of turtling is very strange to me still as I don't have many tools there yet. The escape where you underhook far side and try to get on you elbow and stand out or dive back in for a sweep is what I keep trying but just getting to a knee is super tough I find. Just time I suppose.
Practice your granby rolls, my best escape from turtle is to stiff arm to frame and come onto my shoulders

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I can't wait until I can get into this routine.

I keep getting trapped on my back in side control, need some tips on working my my out of anybody has some. It's only problematic with dudes out weoghomg me as of now but I want to have a fighting chance if I ever complete against better guys my size.
Side control is way more difficult to escape once your opponent has settled, if your guard is getting passed you should be fighting from here to regain some sort of guard.

What a lot of white belts do is, they initially fight the pass, get passed and THEN they look to escape from there.

M

member 603

Some points to remember in bottom side control...

*Don't get flattened out, you don't want to be flat because your opponent can then use all their body weight (plus gravity) to make it seem like you have a Cadillac on your chest.

* Establish a strong under hook or flipper frame (90 degree arm position where you use your forearm under your opponents neck to create space)

* Don't curl your head in, it leaves you susceptible to head and arm choke set ups

* Remember patience is the key..... Rather than buck and flop around when you have a heavy opponent on top who isn't moving, relax (remember, this is the gentle art)... That opponent will create space the moment they try to attack or advance.... If you remain relaxed, you'll feel the shifts and movement of you opponent, you will see/feel your window of opportunity to escape, and you can capitalize on it.... That window and space may be very brief, so you have to remain calm to seize that moment.

Maybe I'll film a series of escapes and attacks from bottom cross side that I like a lot this week....... SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD I need you to come back now LOL, or lueVelvet @lueVelvet come to the gym and lets film some TMMAC tutorials

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
om cross side that I like a lot this week....... SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD I need you to come back now LO
Funny you mention that, I am bringing my daughter to Legoland and Universal next weekend, but it has been made VERY clear to me by my wife that the father/daughter weekend is not to be interrupted by BJJ, and my daughter would rat me out in an instant.

M

member 603

Funny you mention that, I am bringing my daughter to Legoland and Universal next weekend, but it has been made VERY clear to me by my wife that the father/daughter weekend is not to be interrupted by BJJ, and my daughter would rat me out in an instant.
LOL, let me see if I can hook you up with Universal fast passes.... And then you can bribe your daughter.... And maybe your mustache having twin Dr Tom Lucas can come visit

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Some points to remember in bottom side control...

*Don't get flattened out, you don't want to be flat because your opponent can then use all their body weight (plus gravity) to make it seem like you have a Cadillac on your chest.

* Establish a strong under hook or flipper frame (90 degree arm position where you use your forearm under your opponents neck to create space)

* Don't curl your head in, it leaves you susceptible to head and arm choke set ups

* Remember patience is the key..... Rather than buck and flop around when you have a heavy opponent on top who isn't moving, relax (remember, this is the gentle art)... That opponent will create space the moment they try to attack or advance.... If you remain relaxed, you'll feel the shifts and movement of you opponent, you will see/feel your window of opportunity to escape, and you can capitalize on it.... That window and space may be very brief, so you have to remain calm to seize that moment.

Maybe I'll film a series of escapes and attacks from bottom cross side that I like a lot this week....... SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD I need you to come back now LOL, or lueVelvet @lueVelvet come to the gym and lets film some TMMAC tutorials
I do make a great technique dummy since I haven’t trained in so long I’ll be like first timer again! lol

You just let me know when and I’ll try to make it happen. I have plans the next few weekends but if you’re serious, why not! :)

M

member 603

I do make a great technique dummy since I haven’t trained in so long I’ll be like first timer again! lol

You just let me know when and I’ll try to make it happen. I have plans the next few weekends but if you’re serious, why not! :)
Absolutely, lets do it.... We could do a technique of the week, or fight breakdown

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015

Haven't read through this whole thread so this may have been shared or something close to it.
I'm sure the more veteran rollers don't need it but I'm new to the game and I find this little exercise useful.