Society Black Girls Are Perceived As Less Innocent Than White Girls — Starting at Age 5

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
"Although much scholarship has focused on the schooling experiences of African American boys, this article demonstrates that African American girls encounter unique educational perceptions and obstacles. Black girls in a predominately minority school performed well academically, but educators often questioned their manners and behavior. Some tried to mold many of these girls into “ladies,” which entailed curbing behavior perceived as “loud” and assertive. This article advances theories of intersectionality by showing how race and class shape perceptions of femininity for Black girls, and how the encouragement of more traditionally feminine behavior could ultimately limit their academic potential."

This is from the study ^

Can someone explain to me how encouraging feminine behavior will limit academic potential?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
"Although much scholarship has focused on the schooling experiences of African American boys, this article demonstrates that African American girls encounter unique educational perceptions and obstacles. Black girls in a predominately minority school performed well academically, but educators often questioned their manners and behavior. Some tried to mold many of these girls into “ladies,” which entailed curbing behavior perceived as “loud” and assertive. This article advances theories of intersectionality by showing how race and class shape perceptions of femininity for Black girls, and how the encouragement of more traditionally feminine behavior could ultimately limit their academic potential."

This is from the study ^

Can someone explain to me how encouraging feminine behavior will limit academic potential?
LOL @ thinking "ladies" meant feminine eh splinty?

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Lord Vutulaki @Lord Vutulaki

Here ya go. You should love this. You try to teach girls to be feminine, I.e. Not loud and aggressive, and you get accused of racism, stereotyping, suppression etc.

And you and I both know that our boys are being taught they can't do shit about it. Because they are girls.

I've told the story on the parenting thread. A girl was bullying my boy for weeks. It escalated to her throwing things at him because he ignored her. In gym class he jumped over her. Didn't touch her but she started crying. He got 2 days suspension.

Imagine how the social construct will be by the time they are grown.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Lord Vutulaki @Lord Vutulaki

Here ya go. You should love this. You try to teach girls to be feminine, I.e. Not loud and aggressive, and you get accused of racism, stereotyping, suppression etc.

And you and I both know that our boys are being taught they can't do shit about it. Because they are girls.

I've told the story on the parenting thread. A girl was bullying my boy for weeks. It escalated to her throwing things at him because he ignored her. In gym class he jumped over her. Didn't touch her but she started crying. He got 2 days suspension.

Imagine how the social construct will be by the time they are grown.
IM NOT ALLOWED TO POST!

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
What is considered a feminine behavior in our western culture?

Being polite? Quiet? Not acting aggressive and competitive? Being thoughtful? Timid?

I think forcing these types of behaviors on young ladies will limit academic potential through lessening the voice of a confident and smart young lady in a classroom.

If boys are encouraged to be loud, tough, crass, more impulsive and less thoughtful compared to the females in the class who are encouraged to be quieter, more polite, less aggressive and so on.... I think it could limit the young ladies chances of actively participating in the classroom discussions or lessons, which would decrease learning opportunities and opportunities for positive and encouraging feedback from a teacher.

Black girls in a predominately minority school performed well academically, but educators often questioned their manners and behavior. Some tried to mold many of these girls into “ladies,” which entailed curbing behavior perceived as “loud” and assertive.
This also makes me think the author was trying to illustrate the fact black girls were treated differently than other non black girls in the classroom.

You try to teach girls to be feminine, I.e. Not loud and aggressive, and you get accused of racism, stereotyping, suppression etc.
Why should girls be taught to act any different than boys in a classroom?

Last edited: