Canadian Rockies roadtrip

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Feb 28, 2015
AlbertaRT.jpg

Last year I saw some pics on Instagram from some folks traveling through the Canadian rockies in the fall. I was like, I HAVE TO do that trip! And I'm relatively close to the area. Since my Spain trip for the end of this month fell through I decided why not try and make this road trip happen. The weather is still ok and I may even get to experience some fall colors and even possibly northern lights sightings.

I'm 75% sure I'll be taking my two dogs with me as it turns out Canadian national parks are more dog friendly than US nat'l parks. And, anything is possible with a little planning and some hopefully well behaved co-pilots. If I go all the way to Jasper it's a solid 20-21 hours of driving plus a couple more for veering off the main path to hit some sights. That's A LOT of driving, it's about 20 hours from Vegas to here, have done that drive a couple of times, not my fave but I think having amazing scenery, lots of excuses to stop and stretch our legs and also not trying to cram 20 hours of driving into 1.5 days will also make it pretty bearable.

For any of you that are familiar with the area or have traveled here I'd love to hear what the highlights were for you and any tips and tricks that might be helpful.

I'll be spending the weekend stocking up on cold weather active gear for myself and the dogs. Will most likely be staying in hotel/motel lodging, considered camping for a minute but it's already quite cold out there and not sure I'm up for it.

I have the following items on my list of things to try to see/do:
Vermillion Lakes
Bow River/Bow Falls
Lake Minnewanka
Bow Valley Parkway
Johnston Canyon
Lake Louise
Hike to Lake Agnes Tea House
Icefields Parkway
Bow Lake
Peyto Lake
Jasper
Maligne Lake

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I pass through jasper every winter on my way out to interior b.c. to go snowmobiling on a buddies property out in fraser lake.
Beautiful drive In the summer, winter not so much. I prefer the white knuckle grip.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Make sure your vehicle is up to scratch, you don't want to have car trouble in the middle of nowhere when it's cold.

That's all I got

Enjoy

Apr 3, 2015
I have done everything on that "see/do" list. and sexed in all those cities..

now its up to you to take that and run with it. I have faith in you!

Apr 3, 2015
tip and trick: when you see a bear (not if, but WHEN), dont get out of the vehicle. I see many many idiot tourist doing that. you can roll right up to them on the side of the road with your window down, but DONT get out of the vehicle.

Apr 3, 2015
You should put Radium or Fairmount hotsprings on your itinerary.
agreed!!!

but I think she will be going through Radium by the looks of her map. she turns off the highway at the stop sign in Radium and goes towards Banff / Lake Louise, aside from staying straight on the highway and going to Golden.

Apr 3, 2015
here is a website that I use to check the "northern lights forecast" (right now it says you can see them all the way down by you!)

Northern Lights Forecast

and for listening enjoyment, if you like audiobooks, I suggest "into thin air". its about the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster where a dozen people were killed in a storm. its incredible to listen to whist traveling (like the opening in the shinning) through the rocky mountains.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Banff is FILLED with asians. and I mean FILLED. you cant get a job there without speaking japanese or mandarin.
as soon as i saw the word banff i immediately pictured an asian trying to pet an elk.they seem to think just because they are everywhere that they are tame

Apr 3, 2015
as soon as i saw the word banff i immediately pictured an asian trying to pet an elk.they seem to think just because they are everywhere that they are tame
back in the 90's I was bumming around banff for the weekend with some friends. trying to fuck some ski sluts but anyways, I watched some poor chinese guy get pummelled by an elk right beside the esso in town. I dont think he died but he was KO'd, getting stomped and gorged. ambulance shows up, guy is still unconscious and take him away. it was insane. I wish it wasnt before cell phones!

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i stayed in jasper for 3 weeks in around 1987.it was beautiful.we partied our asses off. i was only around 14 but got in to all the bars no questions asked.it was quite the party town.i did MDA and banged a french chick.we did mushrooms and hiked up to an awesome waterfall.even then there was lots of asians.bus loads of them with their cameras everywhere.the trip over the rogers pass was a bit hairy and we almost died on some black ice by the athabaska ice fields but it was worth the trip.banff was too rich for my blood but still super nice

Apr 3, 2015
i stayed in jasper for 3 weeks in around 1987.it was beautiful.we partied our asses off. i was only around 14 but got in to all the bars no questions asked.it was quite the party town.i did MDA and banged a french chick.we did mushrooms and hiked up to an awesome waterfall.even then there was lots of asians.bus loads of them with their cameras everywhere.the trip over the rogers pass was a bit hairy and we almost died on some black ice by the athabaska ice fields but it was worth the trip.banff was too rich for my blood but still super nice
yeah man! SOOOO many stories about partying in the rockies. perks of growing up an hour away.

for a while in the early - mid 90's to the 2000's Banff was the STD capital of Canada.

Apr 3, 2015

for some reason this always reminds me of the shining

100% agree

I took mushrooms at this hotel twice. both times on the day after new years eve. if you ever want a hotel that is empty, go the night after new years!!

the second time (now that we were "seasoned vets" lol) we walked out the front door and walked about a km into the golf course and built a huge snow fort. twas awesome.

Feb 28, 2015
This bums me out. Makes me sad that humans can't seem to respect nature and end up turning into a commercialized thing. I'm hoping the crowds have died down a bit and won't be dealing with tons of people randomly slowing down, stopping and pulling to the side of the road. I love watching wildlife from afar but even if I see it as I drive by, that's what I'll do, I'll always have the memory. People are so obsessed with posting everything to social media, moreso than actually appreciating and enjoying the thing they're posting!

Apr 3, 2015
This bums me out. Makes me sad that humans can't seem to respect nature and end up turning into a commercialized thing. I'm hoping the crowds have died down a bit and won't be dealing with tons of people randomly slowing down, stopping and pulling to the side of the road. I love watching wildlife from afar but even if I see it as I drive by, that's what I'll do, I'll always have the memory. People are so obsessed with posting everything to social media, moreso than actually appreciating and enjoying the thing they're posting!
it should be dead when you are there. the high seasons are summer and winter. spring and fall its pretty quiet. especially during the week. I truly hope you get to see the gigantic elk herd that wanders around the Banff / Jasper area. there are over 1200 elk in the herd and its quite the sight to see.

Apr 3, 2015
I'll always have the memory. People are so obsessed with posting everything to social media, moreso than actually appreciating and enjoying the thing they're posting!
just when I think you couldnt get any cooler. you go ahead and post this. I hate social media. I dont think I have taken one picture while on vacation in the last 15 years. let alone post one to a social media site. I see all these people "enjoying" the scenery or a concert or whatever through the lens of their phone / camera. and they never actually are truly in that environment or level of enjoyment.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
tip and trick: when you see a bear (not if, but WHEN), dont get out of the vehicle. I see many many idiot tourist doing that. you can roll right up to them on the side of the road with your window down, but DONT get out of the vehicle.
I heard bears can smell menstruation.