General Carp - is this a sign my tranny is going?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Bought a 2005 Vulcan 2000 recently. After getting a new battery its been running like a dream. But just day before yesterday, I started noticing, when I try to upshift from 1st gear to 2nd gear, it sometimes does not seem to "catch", and goes back down into first. Sometimes it does catch and it stays in 2nd, but often it does not, unless I hit it harder mainly. Like I feel like if I push it HARD, it will catch. But anything less that a very hard push on the gear will sometimes mean it does not "catch" and drops back down to 1st.

Unlike most on here, I know nothing about trannys. So I was just wondering - is this a pretty sure sign of the gear going out or something? I mean, I guess the only other thing it could be is just "press HARDER you weak-nut!!!!"...

Thanks!!!

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Bought a 2005 Vulcan 2000 recently. After getting a new battery its been running like a dream. But just day before yesterday, I started noticing, when I try to upshift from 1st gear to 2nd gear, it sometimes does not seem to "catch", and goes back down into first. Sometimes it does catch and it stays in 2nd, but often it does not, unless I hit it harder mainly. Like I feel like if I push it HARD, it will catch. But anything less that a very hard push on the gear will sometimes mean it does not "catch" and drops back down to 1st.

Unlike most on here, I know nothing about trannys. So I was just wondering - is this a pretty sure sign of the gear going out or something? I mean, I guess the only other thing it could be is just "press HARDER you weak-nut!!!!"...

Thanks!!!
I can say with a fair bit of confidence that I know less about trannies than you.

If it ain't shifting properly, then it may affect your safety/performance and therefore, be potentially, in need of repair.

Last edited:

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
I can say with a fair bit of confidence that I know less about trannies than you.

If it ain't shifting properly, then it may affect your safety/performance and therefore, be potentially, in need of repair.

Oh I see. So if its broken, I should fix it. Damn, that makes sense! Never thought of that shit. You are the fuking MAN Rambo!!! Thanks!!!