Cerrone: Getting big paydays for McGregor fights is ‘a big misconception’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

One of the underlying reasons why Conor McGregor is the most called out fighters in the UFC is because of the perceived guaranteed big payday. Donald Cerrone, however, does not see it that way.

Especially with the new pay-per-view system in place, “Cowboy” says fighting McGregor is not as lucrative as many would think.

“I don’t know about this payday talk,” Cerrone said during Thursday’s media day. “Everyone thinks you fight Conor, you get paid. We’re under contract, man. Now with the ESPN thing, the pay-per-view buys are already done. It’s not like we get – so it’s a big misconception.

“Conor might get paid. ‘Cowboy’ might get a little bump, but it’s not a $10 million…

Donald Cerrone: Getting big paydays for Conor McGregor fights is ‘a big misconception’

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
UFC has locked down any income stream to the fighter that doesn't go through them.

I hope Bellator's model is successful enough that UFC is forced to make concessions to fighters.
Sort of like how the NFL changed when the AFL was added.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015

One of the underlying reasons why Conor McGregor is the most called out fighters in the UFC is because of the perceived guaranteed big payday. Donald Cerrone, however, does not see it that way.

Especially with the new pay-per-view system in place, “Cowboy” says fighting McGregor is not as lucrative as many would think.

“I don’t know about this payday talk,” Cerrone said during Thursday’s media day. “Everyone thinks you fight Conor, you get paid. We’re under contract, man. Now with the ESPN thing, the pay-per-view buys are already done. It’s not like we get – so it’s a big misconception.

“Conor might get paid. ‘Cowboy’ might get a little bump, but it’s not a $10 million…

Donald Cerrone: Getting big paydays for Conor McGregor fights is ‘a big misconception’
He's right. Nate got paid well (by U Fight Cheap standards) because of PPV points and that's no longer in play.

I'm sure a fighter could negotiate a little extra to fight Conor, but it's no longer a life-changing Red Panty night.

Prior to the ESPN deal if you had a choice between fighting for the belt and fighting Conor in a non-title bout, you'd go for Conor. Now you would just go for the belt.