Commentators and riding the underdog's nuts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Short version: Old man yells at cloud.

The commentary for Lee vs Al marked the 2nd time in a row where Iaquinta has been treated like a child whose parents are amazed that he can fingerpaint so well, rather than like the top fighter that he is.

In the Khabib fight, Rogan was astounded Al didn't get finished and wanked over every minor punch he landed, despite the fact he got absolutely dominated and literally lost the most lopsided decision in UFC 5-rounder history. In the Kevin Lee fight, the commentators could hardly believe their eyes that the underdog could possibly beat a guy that he had, you know, already beaten.

In the Al-Lee fight, the awful commentary combo of Anik, DC and Felder made Rogan look professional by screaming 'he's hurt!' about 10 times, when Lee was 'hurt' (rocked) maybe once or twice. They also ignored almost all of Lee's output in the rounds Al won, despite landing a few good shots of his own. In the Khabib fight, it diminished Khabib's dominant performance.

Now, in these two fights, the commentary didn't sway public opinion because rounds were clear but we've seen Rogan do it a million times and often it is because he gets surprised and just starts focusing on the underdog. This is how the MMA world was convinced Hendricks 'destroyed' GSP when anybody sensible knows the fight came down to who won a close round.

Point is, it's pretty fucking unprofessional to stop doing your job and ignoring what the favorite is doing just because you are impressed with the underdog's performance, thus influencing perceptions of fights and the UFC commentators do it all the time.

Megatron Robinson

I BOMB ATOMICALLY
Jul 26, 2015
Rogan and the UFC have been doing this shit long enough for me to know that the broadcast team is very similar to rando dudes at a hooters. Mostly ok but prone to overexcited bias dick riding.

Thats why I watch fights while completely nude in an isolation tank.

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
In the Al-Lee fight, the awful commentary combo of Anik, DC and Felder made Rogan look professional by screaming 'he's hurt!' about 10 times, when Lee was 'hurt' (rocked) maybe once or twice. They also ignored almost all of Lee's output in the rounds Al won, despite landing a few good shots of his own.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
DC was so on Lee's nuts it was disgusting.. anytime al landed he was almost complimenting Lee on wil hos face took it instead of acknowledging al was winning..I too was thinking how much DC sucked the other night.. it was hard to watch and I'll mute the TV next time DC does that shit again.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
DC was so on Lee's nuts it was disgusting.. anytime al landed he was almost complimenting Lee on wil hos face took it instead of acknowledging al was winning..I too was thinking how much DC sucked the other night.. it was hard to watch and I'll mute the TV next time DC does that shit again.
My take on it is ive often noticed DC seems to root for, and talk up the fellow black guy rather than who's actually winning the fight.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i generally watch fights on Mute.

It's a trick I learned from Grandpa during the Howard Cosell era, and I evolved it to fit MMA.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
This is a good case study of MMA fandom. In a thread where the OP states that the commentary skewed toward Al very heavily, a different person thinks it skewed towards Lee just as heavily.

Perhaps our intake of the information is also skewed? Maybe if we think things are going a certain way, or want them to go a certain way, and the commentators don't support that, we feel as if they're biased?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
This is a good case study of MMA fandom. In a thread where the OP states that the commentary skewed toward Al very heavily, a different person thinks it skewed towards Lee just as heavily.

Perhaps our intake of the information is also skewed? Maybe if we think things are going a certain way, or want them to go a certain way, and the commentators don't support that, we feel as if they're biased?
Or either myself or the other poster could be wrong. Of course our own subjective interpretations of another person's subjective commentary on a fight can be skewed, but it doesn't follow that therefore the commentary can never be biased.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I would bring up Cain vs JDS 2, but thats besides the point.
Cain vs JDS 1 had one judge score it 50-43 so the 2nd fight almost certainly would be the record holder had it gone another couple of minutes.

Khabib-Iaquinta isn't actually the most lopsided 5-roun score but it's 2nd as far as I can tell. Franklin-Louiseau is the title holder.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Joe often frustrates me with his commentary,when its apparent he is rooting for someone. I get that he isn’t really there to give tons of information, just be hyped the whole time and raise energy. Most the time just tune out commentary.

In reality he is watching it more as a fan than a commentator, which is fine, just as a result the audience hears one half of the fight, sometimes with shades of bias in there. With the underdogs he acts like anything they do is the upmost impressive, then exaggerates the situation. In Johnson vs Khabib, Johnson landed on him early, but Khabib didn’t show signs of being rocked, but get constant screaming of “HE’S HURT!”.

Just safe to let him do his thing, entertain his fans, and use the commentary as wonderful background noise to avoid hearing the idiot in the crowd yell “Hit him in the face!”