Conor didnt draw a crowd

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Saw over at the Shitground that Sonnen Vs Shogun did a better attendance and gate then the highly pushed and promoted Conor fight night. Thats pretty lame when the UFC sunk so much into promoting it

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I despise BLAF and Zuffa, but to be fair...I wonder if venue size has something to do with it? That arena was packed Sunday night...and loud.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Seems like it's probably a matter of venue size. Arena looked packed to me, too.

They used to have UFNs at Hard Rock in a Room that only held like 2 or 3 thousand, tops. If you looked at attendance and gate for those, you'd have been looking at something with no meaning.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
LOL yeah. There's rational, and there's being a hater. I'm rational. I dislike just about everything Zuffa stands for, but I can admit when someone is a talented star on the horizon...and Conor McGregor is just that. Love him or hate him, people are interested. Hopefully he brings some much needed exposure back to MMA.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
UFC FIGHT NIGHT: SHOGUN VS SONNEN
14,181[SUP][1][/SUP]
$1,534,000[SUP][1][/SUP]

Attendance
Total gate

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: MCGREGOR VS SIVER
13,828[SUP][1][/SUP]
$1,340,000[SUP][1][/SUP]

Attendance
Gate

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
UFC Fight Night 59 marked the UFC’s third visit to Boston’s TD Garden. The full list of reported attendances for those events includes:
Thats the lowest figure in 3 visits so the seating hasnt changed

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
But how do the venues compare, dacofty? In terms of max capacity? You're a lot like me, with regards to our frustration w/ Zuffa...but I think even you would have to admit that 13,828 of those people were there for Conor that night. The dude is a huge draw for the UFC in locations w/ a lot of Irish following. Not even I can deny that.

Fuck, now you've got me semi-defending these cocksuckers and that makes me feel dirty as hell.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
In fairness, they were competing with a Patriots AFC championship game at Foxborough.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It was in the same venue as the previous ones, what im saying is with the overly promoted fight night by the UFC they didnt draw what they did in previous runs. You would think that they would have out done the other 2 especially with all the Irish in Boston.

Capacity

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Shy Guy makes a good point as well though. Either way, I think everyone involved thinks Sunday was a success for McGregor, Zuffa, and MMA. They better enjoy it, because they sure as shit aren't building any other stars, so if McGregor gets hit by a bus tomorrow, they are back to square one.

Like they should have done with Brock, they need to use the exposure Conor is bringing to the company to PROMOTE OTHER GUYS AND GIRLS, instead of investing all of their resources in him. Maybe one day they will learn...maybe not.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I guess in fairness they did compete or should i say they were on the same night so that could have played a part in it, but then again that can show the UFC that they arent in the same league as the NFL. I think Conor will do good no doubt, but they way the UFC treats its other fighters at the expense of 1 guy to make a dollar. Either way, with their disrespect and the uniform deal, i do hope we see guys jumping ship.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;n4061 said:
Shy Guy makes a good point as well though. Either way, I think everyone involved thinks Sunday was a success for McGregor, Zuffa, and MMA. They better enjoy it, because they sure as shit aren't building any other stars, so if McGregor gets hit by a bus tomorrow, they are back to square one.

Like they should have done with Brock, they need to use the exposure Conor is bringing to the company to PROMOTE OTHER GUYS AND GIRLS, instead of investing all of their resources in him. Maybe one day they will learn...maybe not.

The big question I have is, will Conor sell PPV's? At the risk of over-exposure, they are pushing him to the moon. It's much easier to get people to tune in for free after a football game than to drop $60 on a ppv.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
dacofty;n4070 said:
I guess in fairness they did compete or should i say they were on the same night so that could have played a part in it, but then again that can show the UFC that they arent in the same league as the NFL. I think Conor will do good no doubt, but they way the UFC treats its other fighters at the expense of 1 guy to make a dollar. Either way, with their disrespect and the uniform deal, i do hope we see guys jumping ship.
The UFC will never be in the same league as the NFL, NBA, MLB, and MLS. Never. I don't give a fuck what Fester says...he's either delusional or bald faced liar. Everyone can decide. MMA is a niche sport, and always will be unfortunately. We love it, but 90% of the worlds population could give a shit. It is what it is.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The baddest Irish guy is the guy that makes those Giant Swords !!! Those are some bad ass sword he makes on the discovery channel

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Shy Guy;n4072 said:
The big question I have is, will Conor sell PPV's? At the risk of over-exposure, they are pushing him to the moon. It's much easier to get people to tune in for free after a football game than to drop $60 on a ppv.

He will sell the shit out of them in Ireland and Boston. Hardcores seem to have become pretty interested of late as well. Casuals? Fuck no. I think 500k will be his ceiling in buys.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;4081 said:
He will sell the shit out of them in Ireland and Boston. Hardcores seem to have become pretty interested of late as well. Casuals? Fuck no. I think 500k will be his ceiling in buys.
Wow..you think that many? I was thinking 400k would be a big success when compared to their 2014 buyrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
^^^ I think Aldo/Mcgregor will certainly do upwards of 500k buys, and if McGregor wins that fight, I think the Zuffa machine will continue to promote him so hard, that it will be more obnoxious than anything we've experienced to date.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I'm from Massachusetts. The UFC sold out the arena both times. The advance on Shogun vs Sonnen was better because the card was 100x more stacked, but more importantly because the Patriots were not playing the same day

I expected the UFC to come nowhere near a sell out due to the Patriots game and thought it was a bad blunder on their part. They proved me wrong, because the fact they sold out the TD garden DURING a Patriots playoff game is fucking insane.

AND they did that all based on and around Conor - not Shogun, Sonnen, Overeem, Faber, Lauzon. Plus the FS1 show being a network launch and the first in Boston in 3 years).

The gate was bigger for Shogun/Sonnen because the tickets were priced normally for that show. Due to the NFL game (and honestly, probably the weaker undercard), tickets were cut down from $75 for the nosebleeds like FS1, to $45.. and so on. The entire arena's ticket prices were structured that way.

THAT is why honestly, when you REALLY looking at the numbers and business side of things/circumstances surrounded the show (NFL game, FS1 being launched and that fight running unopposed to ANY big sports game in Boston that day)... and not just say "well, the gate was bigger for one show than the other", the only conclusion you can really come to is the opposite.

Conor actually DID draw fans, he did a way, way, way better job and house than almost any business insider/expert thought he would. Again, the show was based ENTIRELY around Conor and he drew way over expectations despite going up against very heavy opposition both locally and on TV. To reiterate, there was a Patriots game (which is THE show to see on that day in Boston unless you are a HARD CORE MMA fan, trust me... the FS1 show had casual fan interest, and on Sunday, the Patriots game was the only place to be outside of the MMA world), this was on a Sunday night, and the card was weak.

Just to add one to the fact the building was sold out based around a single fighter, the show also beat the FS1 debut in the ratings b ya considerable margin. The FS1 debut was the network's highest rated show since the first day the network launched. No other prelim or Fight Night came close, especially not in the last 6 months. UFC numbers have been on very steady decline on that channel, save for the bigger shows.

The gate is one aspect, BUT, there is actually a reason the gate was less. The venue was sold out.. but please try to look at more than one aspect (because there are even more than what I'm listing here). When you look into the numbers, the sell out, the ratings, and more - the only conclusion that can be fairly drawn is that Conor is actually MORE of a draw in America and Boston than people expected.

What he did Sunday was great for the sport and will be one of the major tipping points in his career that make him a star if he can continue winning. The UFC desperately needed something like Sunday night, because outside of Ronda Rousey, NO new fighter to come along in the last 2 years has done anything close to what Conor did.

The UFC (and honestly, MMA itself in general) need someone to do EXACTLY what Conor has done so far. Not just talk and sell fights, but connect with the audience, grow a huge fan base.. and oh yeah, most importantly, go out and destroy his opposition, looking beyond impressive in doing so, 4 out of 5 times by beautiful knockout in mind boggling performances that seem to indicate Conor is at a different level of understanding when it comes to not just the promotion of MMA ,but the fighting aspect of it, too. I could go on all day about how unique of a fighter he actually is INSIDE of the cage... but I'll save that for later.

The fact is, what Conor did was far above what was thought possible and expected, and I think that's the only conclusion you can come to as a fact when you examine all of the things that went into making Sunday night's event a success.

Hope you guys can take the time to read this in full and provide some feedback.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
dacofty;n4040 said:
UFC Fight Night 59 marked the UFC’s third visit to Boston’s TD Garden. The full list of reported attendances for those events includes:
Thats the lowest figure in 3 visits so the seating hasnt changed
How can 300 more people generate $1,500,000 more dollars (Edgar fight compared to the McGregor fight)?

Do the UFC pull these figures and dollar amounts out of their arses or am I missing something?

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The ticket prices were drastically different, that's how

Read my post from the previous page for a good breakdown

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Galanis;n4278 said:
The ticket prices were drastically different, that's how

Read my post from the previous page for a good breakdown
Will do, admittedly hadn't read your post thoroughly.

Letsgobois

Jan 20, 2015
I Wild Each It;n4081 said:
If I were to buy PPVs, I would actually buy the Aldo vs McGregor one.