Cormier criticizes Rumble for fake fight w/ Jones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/daniel...hnson-for-fake-brawl-with-ufc-champ-jon-jones

“That whole little thing they did at the press conference, you don’t want to do that as a challenger,” Cormier said on UFC 184’s post-fight show on FOX Sports 1. “Why would Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson want to be Jon Jones’ friend? I understand good sportsmanship, but don’t let him goad you into playing games with him. You are coming to take that guy’s livelihood. You’re his opponent. You go out and get that guy.”

While Cormier and Jones had an immense amount of tension and couldn’t be in close proximity to each other without a physical or verbal altercation, Johnson is typically respectful and rarely has issues with opponents.

Cormier said he’s in no way encouraging Johnson to leave his comfort zone to manufacture drama with Jones. He does, however, view the jokes as a major sign of weakness.

“Don’t be his friend and get you to be buddy-buddy with him,” Cormier said. “Don’t give him any comfort. Go after him and intimidate him. They’re going to fight in May, so you don’t need to go out and do it at the press conference. But again, I kind of disagree with that.

“It’s a game of inches, and you don’t want to concede to the champion that he can actually draw you in. It was pretty funny. They missed a couple things when they were in the back doing their choreography for their little skit in the back. They forgot a couple things.”

RickStorm

Posting Machine
Jan 30, 2015
yeah, he seemed to get a little bent talking about it on the post fight show on FX1 too.. lol

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Everyone is different. I can understand DC living by that principle but AJ is a more mellow, compassionate guy. Except when the bell rings. He knows when to turn it on. Especially if he's been eye poked. Eye poked Johnson=no compassion, no mellow.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Jbj and Rumble always have gotten along...also remember in a interview somebody asked if he beat Cormier would he he ready for His rematch..jbj told them they need to be respectful of Rumble because Gus is in a tough fight and reporters better not overlook that fact..

The Tomahawk Murderer

Feb 12, 2015
Cormier needs to chill, imo. Not everybody needs to take that "get butthurt at my opponent for no reason, months in advance" type of approach to get themselves motivated. For some people getting a win or fighting for the title is enough and they don't need to manufacture a personal vendetta to want to beat the other guy.

I get that Cormier has his own approach and has been very successful with it, but you would think that HE would get by now that the same thing doesn't work for everybody.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Random Douche;n33418 said:
Cormier needs to chill, imo. Not everybody needs to take that "get butthurt at my opponent for no reason, months in advance" type of approach to get themselves motivated. For some people getting a win or fighting for the title is enough and they don't need to manufacture a personal vendetta to want to beat the other guy.

I get that Cormier has his own approach and has been very successful with it, but you would think that HE would get by now that the same thing doesn't work for everybody.
Great SN.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Random Douche;n33418 said:

Agree that DC's approach doesn't work for everyone. I see where he is coming from, but I imagine being friendly during the pre fight isn't going to be on AJ's mind during the fight. He will try to hit him whether they are cool or whether they hate one another.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Anyway, the loser of a fight shouldn't insist on his POV pertaining to anyone else, for the obvious reasons. On the other hand, it's Cormier's job to make salty observations once in a while. It's just that in this case, it's not a good look.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm in agreement that DC needs to chill, he's gonna be bitter for a while no doubt, well up until he takes Bader's head off in June....poor bader...poor poor bader

Rico_Cutler

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
D241;n33402 said:
He knows when to turn it on. Especially if he's been eye poked. Eye poked Johnson=no compassion, no mellow.
I cant wait to see Rumble turn into the Hulk after Bones pokes him.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
I just saw it as Bones and Rumble taking the piss out of Dana more than anything else. DC has a bit of a point, Rumble will still try amd smash Jones face in regardless.... I hope.