General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse on the finger of The Cimmunity
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Things sucking here bros.
That's so weird.
Things were great, it's been almost 2 years, and it's Summer.
It's almost like other factors entered the equation.

I hemember a guy named Joe Imbriano talking about this years ago.
It's almost like things are in ....lockstep...

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
almost like other factors entered the equation
Yeah mostly assuming the pandemics over while being unvaccinated and the Delta variant being highly transmissible.

it's Summer.
You mean like when we ran the moon last summer here?

What were you suggesting that the summer should slow this down?

Just like we are having RSV outbreaks in the summer right now, this is occurring due to close congregation when nobody got sick last fall with RSV.

If you aren't vaccinated and you haven't caught covid in the last year, I would expect there to be significant outbreaks given to complete removal of all restrictions in most areas.

And given that most of the US has not been vaccinated or developed antibodies from their previous infection, It seems no surprise that people are getting each other sick rapidly without interventions.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015

Terrible situation
But
Quite the title for an article without a single stat. gotta know how many children are hospitalized and how many beds the hospitals admins are willing to have to maximize profits.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah mostly assuming the pandemics over while being unvaccinated and the Delta variant being highly transmissible.

You mean like when we ran the moon last summer here?

What were you suggesting that the summer should slow this down?

Just like we are having RSV outbreaks in the summer right now, this is occurring due to close congregation when nobody got sick last fall with RSV.

If you aren't vaccinated and you haven't caught covid in the last year, I would expect there to be significant outbreaks given to complete removal of all restrictions in most areas.

And given that most of the US has not been vaccinated or developed antibodies from their previous infection, It seems no surprise that people are getting each other sick rapidly without interventions.
This Vaccine is a False God

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Terrible situation
But
Quite the title for an article without a single stat. gotta know how many children are hospitalized and how many beds and lives the hospitals admins are willing to have and save to maximize profits.
It doesn't actually matter how many raw number or hospitalized or not. What matters is how much of your health care resources are taken up and what kind of reserve you need for day-to-day operations. Dallas county is outrun their healthcare resources. Just like I have no ventilators here it doesn't really matter how big or small my hospital is. What matters is that if you come in and decompensate I cannot help you. I have no ICU beds available here. Not for anything. But I'm just one hospital. This is an entire large county.

The one thing that we have tons of in the United States is ICU beds.
And at children's hospitals NICU and PICU beds make all the money.

There is the piece that there is a lack of pediatric care occurring in nearly any hospital except large tertiary centers. This is a chronic long-term problem in which pediatrics is cut and moved out of community hospitals in centralized and children's hospital.

From an acute standpoint, administrators have every single reason in the entire world to admit as many patients as they conceivably can handle.

Long term we have limited our plain medical surgical beds because they don't make much money. That doesn't change the fact that if possible an administrator would be very happy to add 20 new coronavirus beds right now with associated staff and billing.

That can't happen right now because Shinkicker @Shinkicker is a high-end commodity and everybody is fighting over her for staffing. I can give you 10 more beds and 10 more rooms. I don't have 10 more nurses right now. National nursing labor shortage.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

It makes my skin crawl that CNN is framing a staffing issue as a pediatric covid issue, but I obviously hope things turnaround for you folks.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Terrible situation
But
Quite the title for an article without a single stat. gotta know how many children are hospitalized and how many beds the hospitals admins are willing to have to maximize profits.
You're putting the cart before the horse. The article says:

Texas Department of State Health Services told CNN the shortage of pediatric ICU beds is related to a shortage in medical staff.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
It doesn't actually matter how many raw number or hospitalized or not. What matters is how much of your health care resources are taken up and what kind of reserve you need for day-to-day operations. Dallas county is outrun their healthcare resources. Just like I have no ventilators here it doesn't really matter how big or small my hospital is. What matters is that if you come in and decompensate I cannot help you. I have no ICU beds available here. Not for anything. But I'm just one hospital. This is an entire large county.

The one thing that we have tons of in the United States is ICU beds.
And at children's hospitals NICU and PICU beds make all the money.

There is the piece that there is a lack of pediatric care occurring in nearly any hospital except large tertiary centers. This is a chronic long-term problem in which pediatrics is cut and moved out of community hospitals in centralized and children's hospital.

From an acute standpoint, administrators have every single reason in the entire world to admit as many patients as they conceivably can handle.

Long term we have limited our plain medical surgical beds because they don't make much money. That doesn't change the fact that if possible an administrator would be very happy to add 20 new coronavirus beds right now with associated staff and billing.

That can't happen right now because Shinkicker @Shinkicker is a high-end commodity and everybody is fighting over her for staffing. I can give you 10 more beds and 10 more rooms. I don't have 10 more nurses right now. National nursing labor shortage.
For record I edited original post
Didn’t mean to insinuate that anyone doesn’t want to save lives. Came off wrong

I think numbers matter some
With that headline I need to know how many kids are sick and hospitalized. If you tell me the state has 100 icu beds for kids I’d say that’s terrible planning.

you’d have a line of people going to nursing school and people coming out of retirement. If they made a big public announcement of 7k a week.

M

member 1013

With that headline I need to know how many kids are sick and hospitalized. If you tell me the state has 100 icu beds for kids I’d say that’s terrible planning.

you’d have a line of people going to nursing school and people coming out of retirement. If they made a big public announcement of 7k a week.
Don’t make me troll u again

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I didn't think anything of it.

The only thing that actually matters to me is the percents. Just like I see restrictions being placed in Oregon over 500 hospitalized cases. I've got no context to know that 500 out of what?

Yes I understand the argument about the why and looking how you spin up that capacity. But at the end of the day the real fix here isn't to keep spinning up more beds for all the sick people. It's to do interventions that prevent them being in the hospital in the first place.

Beyond being costly I still haven't reconciled how you convince anybody or if I could even be convinced personally that and we should have massive amounts of pandemic beds paid in reserve forever and ever and ever until the next one.

And that doesn't quite solve my staffing problem and that I can't just employ a bunch of nurses to hang out for a decade or two to then use them. And then during the pandemic I can't spin up new nurses rapidly because of the length of training needed.

I think any nurses coming out of retirement have already done so just like there was a number of doctors who came out of retirement last year.
If you started a nurse into the schooling pipeline today the pandemic will be over by the time he or she is done. That timeline is a real limiting factor here

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
Don’t make me troll u again
I’m prepared to strike back if you do lol.
Notice last Twitter link was from a Jewish account? Hearing about a jew worshipping a fake orange god was gonna be hilarious.

503B20FF-7A15-4C06-AEFE-A139BC7C67FF.jpeg

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The staffing issue is going to get a lot worse in some locations that are mandating vaccines or weekly testing in any public setting for licensed professional healthcare workers.

I know a bunch here that are gonna take a few months off rather than submit to those requirements...required by the state, but time and testing paid for by the individual employer.

Literally running some of the best and most reliable people out of healthcare with mandates in some states, at a time of need.

Seems like an agenda over science and logic IMO.