Dana White: 'It's looking like Jon Jones did not' knowingly take drug flagged by USADA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
What was supposed to be Jon Jones's return to greatness at UFC 200 following a suspension and legal troubles ended up only compounding the former light heavyweight champion's problems. Before Jones could face Daniel Cormier in the main event on July 9, he was removed from the card on July 7 for a potential anti-doping violation flagged by USADA.

As it turns out, Jones could be exonerated and soon. "Well, it's coming back now that it looks like he did not take the supplement that everybody thought he took," UFC President Dana White told radio host Jim Rome on his show on Tuesday. "We'll see how this thing plays out."

During a July 18 hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission , it was revealed Jones tested positive for Hydroxy-clomiphene, an anti-estrogenic agent, and Letrozole metabolite, an aromatase inhibitor. Both are estrogen blockers typically used after a cycle of anabolic steroids to suppress unwanted side effects. The positive results derive from a June 16 out-of-competition drug test.

"I don't even know if this is public. I didn't know if I can talk about it," White said. "Normally, I talk about anything, but when it comes to medical stuff, you can't do it. It's looking like Jon Jones did not take the drug everybody thought he took. It looks like it's something else.

"I'll let this thing play out and if that's true and that's what USADA and the Nevada State Athletic Commission say happened, it could look good for Jon Jones."

While the positive test was administered by USADA on June 16 for an eventual bout in Las Vegas, the Nevada Athletic Commission retains legal authority over Jones's case. However, Jones is still subject to the penalties set out in USADA's protocol created with UFC. For Jones to return to the Octagon, he has to be clear of any penalties or restrictions from USADA and the state athletic commission. Neither body has shared any information publicly about any developments related to Jones's predicament.

White's revelation of Jones's potential return is not the first of its kind. On Sunday, Jones posted a video message on Instagram intimating he had received good news and would return to the Octagon soon.

In addition, while White acknowledged there may have been somewhat of a rush to judgment on Jones, the Jackson-Winklejohn fighter isn't without some blame, suggesting even if Jones ingested the banned substance accidentally, there is still a measure of culpability.

"He didn't get a bum wrap," White explained. "He definitely didn't get a bum wrap, but the substance that he was on, it was a pill that you take when you're coming off of steroids. But this thing is apparently in other things. Jon took something else.

"Where he doesn't come off clean is you have to tell USADA everything that you put in your body leading up to the fight and he did not," White noted.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Posts pics and videos of being SWOLE and lifting heavy shit. Gets popped for the same estrogen blocker as his brother. An accident? I call Bullshit.

There needs to be a way for fighters to stop using this excuse of "I didn't know". As soon as they are notified of what they popped for, I imagine every fighter gets on Google and starts trying to find a way out. By the time the test results are public, they probably already have a list of alleged supplements for their defense. Taking tainted supplements will continue to be the strategy used by fighters unless the FDA steps in and starts regulating the supplement industry. Since that isn't going to happen I would like to see all fighters have to give samples of every supplement they are taking at the time they give the piss/blood. If they pop hot USADA could test the supplements that were provided the day of the collection. That would avoid the fighters trying this loophole and it would clear fighters that really are doing it by accident. Seems like a simple fix. My opinion is, and has always been, that most fighters who piss hot are actually using. That being said, if Jon would have provided supplement samples at the time of collection and he was found innocent, he could have avoided missing out on a monster pay day and kept his name clear from the internet assholes like me who always doubt their innocence.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Yep, he handled the frame job well......he should be given cormiers belt as an apology

Feb 28, 2015
but the substance that he was on, it was a pill that you take when you're coming off of steroids. But this thing is apparently in other things. Jon took something else.

"Where he doesn't come off clean is you have to tell USADA everything that you put in your body leading up to the fight and he did not," White noted.

So, he still took the banned substance, just via a different delivery method...ie not the typical pill it comes in or whatever. To me, this sounds like still culpable. Accident or no, he tested positive for the substance. I'm over the BS of "I didn't know it was in my _______ (protein powder, asthma medication, etc, etc.)

If he is exonerated, this opens the door for any fighter who gets popped to go well, i didn't claim it because I didn't know _____ contained it, I didn't know I even took it. It was an accident.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
So, he still took the banned substance, just via a different delivery method...ie not the typical pill it comes in or whatever. To me, this sounds like still culpable. Accident or no, he tested positive for the substance. I'm over the BS of "I didn't know it was in my _______ (protein powder, asthma medication, etc, etc.)

If he is exonerated, this opens the door for any fighter who gets popped to go well, i didn't claim it because I didn't know _____ contained it, I didn't know I even took it. It was an accident.

Agreed. Also, if USADA comes forward and says they made a mistake and it wasn't really the banned substance in his system, they are really fucked. Every fighter who has previously popped is gonna come out and say USASA made a mistake on him/her too. It could become a real cluster fuck. If he had a banned substance in his body, he should be held accountable no matter what kind of story he and his PR team comes up with.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Intent is all that counts nowadays. It worked for Hillary Clinton, so will it work for others.

But if you or me were caught speeding, while not intended to, we still get the ticket. Like has been said, if he gets away, so will many. Does the UFC secretly wish they never started this drug program thing? Is the some sort of collective move back to anything goes, but with smoke screens active? Since the USADA era there hasn't been so many innocent fighters in the history of the sport...

Makes one think.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
When you're Jones rich you can pay a supplement company to say they put AIDS and LSD into their powder.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
I am a sick person. I had made up my mind I was going to be anti-Jones from here forward. Now I read this and I'm am pumped and want to see him destroy DC.

M

member 603

The biggest issue when it comes to most supplements is that the manufacturer does not have to account for what is in them. They all claim that their formula is a "proprietary blend", and this allows them the ability to never disclose the actual recipe (doing so can lead to others copying the recipe and making profit on it). By doing this, they could include steroids, sawdust, grass clippings, paint chips, or whatever else was on the conveyor belt or mix bowls into their products.

While it is a lame excuse, fighters honestly gamble their careers and public perception about them on every fight every time they take supplements.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I hate to say I told you all so, but I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO.

A lot of people on this forum should be perma-banned for all the shit they talked.

Well, well, well. Looks like I was right from the beginning.
You suggesting anyone should be permabanned is rich.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
The biggest issue when it comes to most supplements is that the manufacturer does not have to account for what is in them. They all claim that their formula is a "proprietary blend", and this allows them the ability to never disclose the actual recipe (doing so can lead to others copying the recipe and making profit on it). By doing this, they could include steroids, sawdust, grass clippings, paint chips, or whatever else was on the conveyor belt or mix bowls into their products.

While it is a lame excuse, fighters honestly gamble their careers and public perception about them on every fight every time they take supplements.
What you are saying is correct. Supplement companies can put trace amounts of steroids in their products and sell them as all natural. The reason they work is because they have actual steroids in them. No matter what, we are all responsible for what goes into our bodies. Athletes should only get supplements from reputable companies. They should go to Onnit.com and enter Rogan at checkout to save 10% on any and all supplements.

By the way, I've heard this is also common in boner pills. Rogan's sidekick says that gas station boner pills are the shit.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If he took the banned substance in a pancake or ingested it off a hookers ass he still took it, Guilty

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
What was supposed to be Jon Jones's return to greatness at UFC 200 following a suspension and legal troubles ended up only compounding the former light heavyweight champion's problems. Before Jones could face Daniel Cormier in the main event on July 9, he was removed from the card on July 7 for a potential anti-doping violation flagged by USADA.

As it turns out, Jones could be exonerated and soon. "Well, it's coming back now that it looks like he did not take the supplement that everybody thought he took," UFC President Dana White told radio host Jim Rome on his show on Tuesday. "We'll see how this thing plays out."

During a July 18 hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission , it was revealed Jones tested positive for Hydroxy-clomiphene, an anti-estrogenic agent, and Letrozole metabolite, an aromatase inhibitor. Both are estrogen blockers typically used after a cycle of anabolic steroids to suppress unwanted side effects. The positive results derive from a June 16 out-of-competition drug test.

"I don't even know if this is public. I didn't know if I can talk about it," White said. "Normally, I talk about anything, but when it comes to medical stuff, you can't do it. It's looking like Jon Jones did not take the drug everybody thought he took. It looks like it's something else.

"I'll let this thing play out and if that's true and that's what USADA and the Nevada State Athletic Commission say happened, it could look good for Jon Jones."

While the positive test was administered by USADA on June 16 for an eventual bout in Las Vegas, the Nevada Athletic Commission retains legal authority over Jones's case. However, Jones is still subject to the penalties set out in USADA's protocol created with UFC. For Jones to return to the Octagon, he has to be clear of any penalties or restrictions from USADA and the state athletic commission. Neither body has shared any information publicly about any developments related to Jones's predicament.

White's revelation of Jones's potential return is not the first of its kind. On Sunday, Jones posted a video message on Instagram intimating he had received good news and would return to the Octagon soon.

In addition, while White acknowledged there may have been somewhat of a rush to judgment on Jones, the Jackson-Winklejohn fighter isn't without some blame, suggesting even if Jones ingested the banned substance accidentally, there is still a measure of culpability.

"He didn't get a bum wrap," White explained. "He definitely didn't get a bum wrap, but the substance that he was on, it was a pill that you take when you're coming off of steroids. But this thing is apparently in other things. Jon took something else.

lowbrowpodcast

Don't be scared, homie
Apr 1, 2016
Luke Thomas from MMA Fighting has honestly had the most level headed point of view out of anyone else I have read or listened to in the MMA-sphere. If this whole USADA thing is going to work, there needs to be due process for the athletes. When you come right out and publicly say "they've been flagged for a potential violation", they are often times seen as guilty in the court of public opinion (especially someone with as shakey a past as JBJ). Once you get branded with the "doper" tag, it never really goes away.

As far as the whole "yeah but you should KNOW what you're putting into your body" argument...yeah, I get it...to a point. Truthfully, I can barely understand what I put into my body. Are these guys supposed to be chemists? Maybe someone like Jon Jones should be able to afford to have people around him who can explain what he can and can not take, but the average fighter can not.

If you're making the argument that he should have disclosed every supplement he was taking so USADA could let him know if it was OK, that makes a little more sense. Let's keep in mind that your average MMA fan (including myself) has had zero interaction with USADA, and have no idea of helpful or not helpful their offices may be in answering fighter questions. It's easy to forget that anti-doping agencies have a somewhat questionable history of integrity (just ask boxing fans about USADA).

The bottom line is this:

1) Jones was guilty in the court of public opinion before any real evidence became clear. Is his personal history poor? Yes. Does this mean that he is automatically guilty? No.
2) Fighters deserve due process.
3) None of us REALLY know anything.
4) None of this renders moot the fight that Jon Jones is arguably the greatest talent that this sport has ever seen.