Descendant of Jack Johnson wants President Trump to pardon first black boxing heavyweight champion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Descendant of Jack Johnson wants Trump to pardon boxing champ

Jack Johnson is a legendary figure in boxing, became HW champ back when it was damn near impossible to get a title shot if you were black.

He was pretty much the original Ali - very flashy, braggadocious, and had a taste for white women, which didn't sit well with people at the time.

They arrested him under the Mann Act for "transporting a woman across state lines for immoral purposes" after they alleged the woman he was with was a prostitute. It was all a set up.

People have been asking for him to be pardoned for many many years. I'm very surprised Obama didn't do it. But this can be a slam dunk for Trump. Would be great PR and is the right thing to do.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
He broke the law.
Why should he be pardoned?
A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.“

- Martin Luther King

But I don't even really think he did break the law, they just wanted to get him on something.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Let that man out of jail. It is completely unjust for him to still be in jail after all these years.
"

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Dating white women while black is a very serious infraction, but everyone makes mistakes and I'm sure if you could ask him he'd say he was sorry. Pardon the man.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
People are generally pardoned when evidence is found that proves they were innocent all along.
This guy: no. All that happened was times, culture and the law just changed.

If we go through a ruthless period in our future,and our laws change and in 50 years rape and murder become legal, does that mean in 100 years time, all the current rapists and murderers should be given posthumous pardons?
I don't think so. They broke the laws of the land that they were living in at the time. Let it be and let's move on.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
The case was very flimsy with no real evidence, but an all-white jury convicted him.

Cool story: when Jack was in jail he invented and improved wrench and patented it.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Descendant of Jack Johnson wants Trump to pardon boxing champ

Jack Johnson is a legendary figure in boxing, became HW champ back when it was damn near impossible to get a title shot if you were black.

He was pretty much the original Ali - very flashy, braggadocious, and had a taste for white women, which didn't sit well with people at the time.

They arrested him under the Mann Act for "transporting a woman across state lines for immoral purposes" after they alleged the woman he was with was a prostitute. It was all a set up.

People have been asking for him to be pardoned for many many years. I'm very surprised Obama didn't do it. But this can be a slam dunk for Trump. Would be great PR and is the right thing to do.

View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/987768453338673152?s=20

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
The case was very flimsy with no real evidence, but an all-white jury convicted him.

Cool story: when Jack was in jail he invented and improved wrench and patented it.
I just listened to the history on fire series about him. Apparently they charged him for breaking a law before it became a law as well.

NHBStriker

Posting Machine
Sep 5, 2015
Johnson deserves a full pardon.

And random celebrities shouldn't have a direct line to the president, to talk about random shit.

Shithole President.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
This is one of the greatest stories of all time:

an incident when Johnson handed over a $100 bill to pay a $50 speeding ticket. Told by the police officer that he couldn’t make change, Johnson just flashed a smile — he planned on speeding on the way back too.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I hope all sides can agree this is a great decision. Really happy for Jack Johnson’s family.
The great Jack Johnson in action: