General Dune the Movie

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Just back from the imax watching this steaming pile of doo doo. Watched it in the biggest screen in the UK. It was shot on imax so I was looking forward to this big time.

Very disappointing. Mate 1 had read the book and loved it. Mate 2 hadn’t and fell asleep. Mate 3 hadn’t read the book but thought it was ok. He was just happy to be out. And said as much.

Its tremendously boring. The story is very old fashioned. Very dated. Doesn’t make any sense. Unless you’ve read the book. What’s the point of that?

Giant 400 metre worms that wander about a desert eating…well nothing really. How do they survive? Loads of slo mo future flashbacks. Yeah I know, but it’s a thing.

Really dull. Never ending. The last line in the film says. And now it begins. Wtf?

waste Of time and money.

Avoid

Last edited:

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I love the book, but it's pretty complex in the characters, relationship, politics, and inner monologues.
Not something that would be easily screenplayed.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
I love the book, but it's pretty complex in the characters, relationship, politics, and inner monologues.
Not something that would be easily screenplayed.

Then this may be for you.

It definitely seems so much is assumed the viewer is aware of many things.

It looks OK. But for an imax shot film it barely gets above a Netflix adaptation.

Take for example the dark night or even inception. The scenes shot on imax seen in imax pop.

Here not so much. The opening sequence is great. I was very happy and felt I was in for a treat. Then no. Very much no.

I'm a big fan of the director. But this film does not deliver.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
I reckon once viewer reviews are in this film will bomb.

it will get great figures from opening weekend and from poncey professional film critics but once word of mouth gets out this film plummets.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
It’s so old fashioned. Like that flop John Carter.

you have this weird juxtaposition of a super advanced civilisation but yet fight with medieval measures.

it’s just dumb on so many levels.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
nah. Not a chance I would ever spend money on shit like that
I absolutely love the entire Halloween series but this last one was lots of cringe. Might be one and done with it like the Rob Zombie ones while I've seen the others many times...

To get back on track, I was looking forward to watching Dune but I have seconds thoughts now thanks to this amazing review bruv...

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
It’s so old fashioned. Like that flop John Carter.

you have this weird juxtaposition of a super advanced civilisation but yet fight with medieval measures.

it’s just dumb on so many levels.
They have advanced shields that you can only penetrate with slow moving blades.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Just back from the imax watching this steaming pile of doo doo. Watched it in the biggest screen in the UK. It was shot on imax so I was looking forward to this big time.

Very disappointing. Mate 1 had read the book and loved it. Mate 2 hadn’t and fell asleep. Mate 3 hadn’t read the book but thought it was ok. He was just happy to be out. And said as much.

Its tremendously boring. The story is very old fashioned. Very dated. Doesn’t make any sense. Unless you’ve read the book. What’s the point of that?

Giant 400 metre worms that wander about a desert eating…well nothing really. How do they survive? Loads of slo mo future flashbacks. Yeah I know, but it’s a thing.

Really dull. Never ending. The last line in the film says. And now it begins. Wtf?

waste Of time and money.

Avoid
U ever watch the original?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Seriously, the book is so good and involved that lots of directors have tried or wanted to make a screenplay of it.
Almost impossible.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Seriously, the book is so good and involved that lots of directors have tried or wanted to make a screenplay of it.
Almost impossible.

The book is amazing. This movie does it justice but it's definitely a movie for sci-fi nerds. It has the exact feel of the book. It's intricate and many of the things that exist in the Dune universe are explained by implication. They don't just spell it out. Rather they make references and you pick it up along the way. I actually love this because it doesn't feel force fed. You hear something and you memorize it and guess the importance and then it comes into clarity as the plot develops.

I do not understand FINGERS @Fingers ( Admin ) complaint of it being very old fashioned.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
The book is amazing. This movie does it justice but it's definitely a movie for sci-fi nerds. It has the exact feel of the book. It's intricate and many of the things that exist in the Dune universe are explained by implication. They don't just spell it out. Rather they make references and you pick it up along the way. I actually love this because it doesn't feel force fed. You hear something and you memorize it and guess the importance and then it comes into clarity as the plot develops.

I do not understand FINGERS @Fingers ( Admin ) complaint of it being very old fashioned.
When I first heard about it, it reminded me of the Jodorowski's Dune doc. That would've been amazingly weird.

I love the book so much, almost any attempt to make it into a film will inevitably disappoint me.