VID Everything Joe Rogan, Eddie Bravo, Renato Laranja, Joey Diaz

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I love this thread

I am gonna go the the podcast archives today and post some old episodes from the first 6t months that are GREAT. The old mayhem Miller ones from that time are great honestly. Before he was totally nuts. They really talked a lot about the Japanese scene and shit.

Plus the old Eddie + Joey ones. my god the laughter.

I have to say in the last 2 years or so, I tend to not watch the podcast as religiously. But perhaps that's because there is 1-2 new ones every day it seems and I can't keep up. I always watch when fighters are on, or certain guests.

Do you guys have any sort of out of the box recommendations on who has been really good to listen to? That may not be a typical guest, like an MMA guy etc... I'd love to hear something new

Also, Joe did a podcast with Campbell McLaren, one of the employees at SEG who was instrumental in helping Art & Rorion get UFC 1 off the ground and onto PPV. That one was really interesting and I feel like not many people talk about it. I'll post below

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgGXeHWa5E

^ Good episode if you wanna hear about the early days

I'd love to hear Art Davie, Rorion and others on the podcast. John Perretti would be an awesome guest too. Although Campbell talks shit about him on this episode, Joe is very open to having him on. That would be awesome. He may have strong opinions, but I like listening to what Perretti has to say.

Anyone ever listen to No Holds Barred radio with Eddie Goldman? He's had Perretti on a lot. The discussion is good when it comes to the old days. John hates modern MMA, though, and hated the UFC before he got involved. I can see why, considering his background, I just don't agree with a lot of it

However he was active in the martial arts community since the 70s, was very good standing and on the ground (training with LeBell, the Machados etc).. and felt like UFC 1 was a freak show. Which it was. But it was a necessary one

Anyway, getting off subject here. But I always thought Perretti would make a great JRE guest.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for posting that Galanis. Gonna check out that episode.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
It's awesome! I was late to the party on that episode. I had no idea it happened and I can't recall people on the UG or Sherdog posting about it. I'm sure they did but I think it just flew under the radar because no one would recognize Campbell's name really.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Anyone listen to the podcast episodes that Sherdog did around the 20th anniversary of the UFC featuring Clyde Gentry? Those were great. I think there were 5 or 6 episodes.

I've been looking for them for awhile but can't seem to find them. They basically talk in depth about each ufc event starting at 1. A lot of behind the scenes stories.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I fucking love that you posted this. George Chuvalo has been woven in and out of my life so much it is silly. When I was kid we used to live around the corner from him in the Rexdale part of Toronto and my older sister used to hang out with his son Jesse, the first son to die (of suicide) at 22 years old. I recall as a 6 year old watching George Jr. get into a fight with a man outside the store in our apartment building and he stabbed the man in the hand. The entire incident scared the shit out of me as I was there with my best friend and his older brother who also hung out with Jesse Chuvalo.

A few years later, after we moved away following my Dad's arrest resulting in a seven year sentence which landed him in prison up in Kingston, Ont., My father won the 'Athlete of the Day' award during the prison's annual sports day for the inmates and none other than George Chuvalo was brought in as a guest to present the trophy to my old boy, lol!

Several years later when I was 19 years-old I took my girlfriend to a black tie dinner at the Royal York in Toronto to help bring attention towards getting George inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame, which inexplicably kept passing him over, and that night I got pics with him, Floyd Patterson, Yvonne Durrelle, Ruben Hurricane Carter......and I got Muhammad Ali to sign my Boxing Encyclopedia that I brought with me but I couldn't get in for a photo with him as he was smothered by entourage (sad face).

A couple weeks later I had a bit of a drunk on while returning home from a party in Georgetown when I stopped in a store for some munchies. While chatting with the fellow I knew who was working there a car pulls up and flashes lights at me, I laughed and said "tell me that doesn't look like a couple of cops?" It turns out it was and they came in and asked me for my ID, which I willingly provided forgetting I had a stupid warrant for drinking underage a year earlier. They put me in the back of the car and while writing me up I said to the one cop, "Man, you look a lot like George Chuvalo," and laughed at the ridiculousness of it, as I knew I had CHuvalo on my brain still from the dinner a couple weeks prior.
He says, "Ya, that's my Dad."
"What, you're fucking with me. What's your name?" I asked, as I knew all the Chuvalo boys names.
He turned and showed me his name tag 'Mitch'.
"Get the fuck out of here," I said, thinking I was in luck. I proceeded to tell him how I had just taken my girl down to the big dinner in support of his father, paid good money to be there, got my pic with his father and met Muhammad Ali, blah, blah, blah...........
..........and the fucker turned to me and said, "Ya, that's nice. I never liked my Dad!" He finished writing me up and threw me in the drunk tank for the night, lol! Was I ever pissed off. I understand Mitch and George are pretty tight now, but fuck Mitch anyways!

Anyhow, George's story is one of the most amazing and tragic stories in all of sports. He would be an amazing guest to have on the Joe Rogan podcast. Great call Galanis!

If I can ever dig up those old pics from the dinner I will post them, despite my late 80's mullet. Man, do I wish I could have a do over night there!
I spoke to my Dad earlier today and he told me my uncle Bill was out with Chuvalo last night. No word of a lie.........I told him I was just talking about George (didn't mention it was on an internet forum) and a couple of the stories which I mentioned. I told him about the Mitch Chuvalo story and he laughed. Anyhow, I guess there was a funeral for someone and Bill and someone else dropped by the Lansdowne Boxing Gym to pick up George and give him a ride, then afterwards they ended up in some bar having drinks all night. I will call Billy next week for some details. I thought that was pretty cool!

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
......also, thanks for the effort put into this thread you guys. There is months of good listening ahead!