Favela Jujitsu - win a signed Jose Aldo Shirt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
So peeps, some of you might now I am a filmmaker who has been working on a documentary about MMA fighters in the favelas of Rio. Anyhow - the film is still in post (It's a self financed/crowd funded thing and is taking ages to get through post) but it focused on a jiu jitsu social project in a slum in Rio's south zone - home to Marlon Sandro, Eduardo Dantas and Hacran Dias etc.

Through my work I have got to know the fighters and the social project pretty well. Well enough to call them good friends. A young girl from the project is looking to compete at the IBJJF Worlds in California and is currently fundraising to do so. In fact there are three students we want to get to the IBJJF tourny.

The girl (Evellyn) has started a raffle with T-Shirts signed by Jose Aldo, Hacran Dias, Eduardo, Marlon, Johnny Eduardo, Andre Pedenerias, Renan Barao, Leo Santos and many other fighters.

Now as she is in Brazil I wanted to open the raffle up to people around the world so set up a GoFundMe (Yeah Yeah I know!) - everyone who donates ten dollars or more will get entered into the draw for the shirts that will happen live on facebook. The money goes to gettting her and possibly some other students to the IBJJF and covers flights and accommodation. This is a dream come true for kids from these communities.

Now I am not begging. I know GoFundMe's don't go down well. But the shirt is an official Heebok shirt (urgh!) so you won't wear it because it nasty and can therefore frame that bad boy - and lets face it thats a whose who of Mixed Martial Arts fighters in ink right there on that shirt!

And for all you BJJ / MMA people - I know you lot are good people helping lots of good people already. But if you do go for this you will be helping some awesome people doing awesome things in a pretty tough spot! And if not please please share the gofundme link!

To prove this is no joke I have added a video of Marlon Sandro signing one of the shirts and if you would like to learn more please visit the gofundme. I'll post more vids of the various fighters signing as and when they are sent to me.

And to be clear - I am only managing the GoFundMe. I am not touching the money and have already donated 50 UK pounds of my own (Which I should have spent on my film lol)

Thanks - please do comment and please be nice. Evellyn is too young for the banter from the likes of the OG faithful from that other site so no nastyness. :D

Thanks again everyone!

View: https://www.gofundme.com/favelabjj

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
Thank you guys! Really appreciate it.

The signed shirts will be worth a lot in the future and worth framing if you like collectables.

The students are Evellyn Marins
Evellyn Marins (@ratinhabjj) • Instagram photos and videos
Ronald Alves
Ronald Alves BJJ (@ronaldalvesbjj) • Instagram photos and videos
and Welerson Gonçalves
Welerson Gonçalves ⚡ (@welersonbjj) • Instagram photos and videos

All have a shirt each and a target to reach to cover their trips. If you would feel more comfortable to donate directly to one of the students via Western Union please feel free to PM them on instagram and they will enter you to the draw personally - and then if you are in Cali why not meet them and say hello? You'll get to meet the team too and I am sure one of the big names will be there with them.

The GFMe just makes it easier for those who can't be bothered with organising the Western Union transfer which is a pain in the ass. It also has a target for Evellyn as priority as she is the youngest :)

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
Here is UFC fighter Hacran Dias signing the shirt. To his left is his brother Polengue Dias who will be fighting in Shooto Brazil soon. Polengue is a nickname and is the name of a pale cheese they sell in Rio (on account of him being lighter skinned than Hacran :D).

Holding the shirt to the right is Welerson - a really great guy who features strongly in the documentary I filmed. He is super laid back and kind hearted. I was there when some trouble started with a shoot out between cops and gangs and Welerson seemed so unconcerned it made me feel okay lol.

Evellyn Marin is center in pink holding the shirt and to our left of her is Ronald Alves - all three of them are exceptional BJJ players with a ton of accolades - check out their instagram and twitter feeds to learn more. And thank you again to everyone considering donating.

And here is why the fighters spend so much time helping. These great kids

Last edited:

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
Guys its $5 to be entered into the raffle not 10. It got lost in translation. They said $10 meaning Brazilian currency (reals) so for just $5 your name will be in the hat :) Obviously if you can do more that's great.

And thank you so much for the shares on social media. You lot are awesome. That really helps and I've had over 80 shares already so please keep em coming :)

Ossssss!!!

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
Hi guys - another thread will highlight this but here are the current signatures:

UFC Champ - José Aldo Junior:
Jose

UFC fighter - Hacran Dias:
Hacran

UFC fighter - Leonardo Santos:
Leonardo Santos MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com

Nova Uniao head coach and PRIDE FC vet - Andre Dedé Pederneiras:
Andre

Former King of Pancrase and Sengoku champ - Marlon Sandro:
Marlon

Bellator Champ - Eduardo Dudu Dantas:
Eduardo

Former UFC Champ - Renan Barão:
Renan

UFC Fighter - Johnny Eduardo:
Johnny

Former UFC 9 and Cage Rage fighter (and legend in Vale Tudo) - Rafael Carino:
Rafael

UFC fighter - Francimar Bodão Barroso:
Francimar

XFC womans Champ - Poliana Botelho:
Poliana Botelho MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com

UFC fighter - Jussier Formiga da Silva:
Jussier

UFC fighter - Ketlen Viera:
Ketlen

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
Thank you!!

I wrote the following in the campaign update - hope you guys like it (It's a bit cheesy but hey I'm multi-tasking like cwazy!).

"We have reached a milestone! 25% of our target raised!!! But we cannot be complacent. Please share and spread the word. Lets keep moving towards that target and celebrate together!

Thank you so much to all who have contributed. Many who have are coming from the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) forums of Sherdog, the Underground and the MMA Commuinty.

I hope that this demonstrates to others on the outside that MMA fans are not neanderthal blood thirsty thugs like the media likes to portray.

MMA fans care for the grassroots of the sport. There are so many examples in MMA of people who overcome huge odds to achieve greatness and these are celebrated.

In my opinion MMA has done a great deal to show fans other cultures and the realities people face to get out of poverty.

To say thank you, here is an interview with Eduardo Dantas at the social project Evellyn and the students attend. At the end he specifically thanks MMA forums for the support they have given him.

Give it a listen and hear him talk about the issues the project faces to help the kids of the community. Thank you all so so much! Ossss!!!

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thank you!!

I wrote the following in the campaign update - hope you guys like it (It's a bit cheesy but hey I'm multi-tasking like cwazy!).

"We have reached a milestone! 25% of our target raised!!! But we cannot be complacent. Please share and spread the word. Lets keep moving towards that target and celebrate together!

Thank you so much to all who have contributed. Many who have are coming from the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) forums of Sherdog, the Underground and the MMA Commuinty.

I hope that this demonstrates to others on the outside that MMA fans are not neanderthal blood thirsty thugs like the media likes to portray.

MMA fans care for the grassroots of the sport. There are so many examples in MMA of people who overcome huge odds to achieve greatness and these are celebrated.

In my opinion MMA has done a great deal to show fans other cultures and the realities people face to get out of poverty.

To say thank you, here is an interview with Eduardo Dantas at the social project Evellyn and the students attend. At the end he specifically thanks MMA forums for the support they have given him.

Give it a listen and hear him talk about the issues the project faces to help the kids of the community. Thank you all so so much! Ossss!!!

I'd like to donate to the cause but don't see an option in the gofundme page for PayPal. Am I missing it somewhere?

ShaolinSanto

Feb 11, 2016
One half of the Brazilian Dias bros "Polengue" Dias fought last night at Shooto Brazil - won by first round RnC with no hooks in - hes a black belt under Marlon Sandro and teaches the kids BJJ at the social project - One of the nicest guys in the world - you have to see him teaching the kids - he is so gentle with the BJJ - here it is (hopefully it starts at the right time of 1min 30):

And this is his fight at Shooto Brazil (Which apparently is no longer live on fightpass which is REALLY ANOYING!!)

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP4NVdqFwIY/