Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
We get some heat waves up here(70 miles inland/south end of a valley) that will stunt and stress trees and gardens that are planted in pots.

I think in your environment(very similar to our peak season environment) they will continue to build size as well as produce fruit and flowers. I don't pick any peppers or blossoms unless they look unhealthy.

That said I have never dabbled in picking blossom/micropeppers to promote growth
They do continue to grow year after year (I overwinter outdoors and there is no issue). Since I bought these young, they aren't good size right now so I want them veg a bit longer before producing fruit. It is really tedious so I don't know how motivated I will be to do this a third time. The tabascos just want to fruit fruit fruit. Pretty crazy how many flowers and mini peppers those tiny plants are throwing on.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I went to the garden center today with the intention to buy a morro blood orange tree. They had finger lime trees as well and I just couldn't resist due to the novelty of it, so I got both.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
They do continue to grow year after year (I overwinter outdoors and there is no issue). Since I bought these young, they aren't good size right now so I want them veg a bit longer before producing fruit. It is really tedious so I don't know how motivated I will be to do this a third time. The tabascos just want to fruit fruit fruit. Pretty crazy how many flowers and mini peppers those tiny plants are throwing on.
Damn, never-ending growing season sounds interesting

Yes picking the blossoms will create more growth, might just be blossom growth again if the plant is set on reproducing(not knowing it can grow for more than one season due to your seasons).

It will get a bit bigger even if it is feeding some peppers and flowers in my opinion.

I add this 10 times per flowering season(mixed with water), great growth and great healthy plants...might be less than 10 times if you are in container...great for peppers and tomatoes either way
Calcium (Ca) 38.0%
Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) 96.0%
Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) 0.5%
Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CCE) 98.0%
Effective Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (ECCE) 98.0%
Oregon Lime Score 97
Moisture Content Does Not Exceed 3.0%

Derived from:
Limestone

Some plants just won't get big tho, dwarfs n shit

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Damn, never-ending growing season sounds interesting

Yes picking the blossoms will create more growth, might just be blossom growth again if the plant is set on reproducing(not knowing it can grow for more than one season due to your seasons).

It will get a bit bigger even if it is feeding some peppers and flowers in my opinion.

I add this 10 times per flowering season(mixed with water), great growth and great healthy plants...might be less than 10 times if you are in container...great for peppers and tomatoes either way
Calcium (Ca) 38.0%
Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) 96.0%
Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) 0.5%
Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CCE) 98.0%
Effective Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (ECCE) 98.0%
Oregon Lime Score 97
Moisture Content Does Not Exceed 3.0%

Derived from:
Limestone

Some plants just won't get big tho, dwarfs n shit
I was getting serranos even during the winter, so it wasn't just overwintering. They weren't as big or as spicy, but somehow it was still spitting them out. Probably not the best for the health of the little plant.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was getting serranos even during the winter, so it wasn't just overwintering. They weren't as big or as spicy, but somehow it was still spitting them out. Probably not the best for the health of the little plant.
How small are these plants?

Mine get 3-4 feet during our 4-6 month growing season

Can you grow cannabis all year there? Do the plants ever die?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
How small are these plants?

Mine get 3-4 feet during our 4-6 month growing season

Can you grow cannabis all year there? Do the plants ever die?
I'm growing in basically 3 gallon (I'm guessing) containers, so they never get very big. The serrano basically looks like a bonsai, but I've also topped it a few times. It's the only pepper plant I overwintered (twice now).

Weed probably can be grown year round, but there isn't really a point to that, and likely would cause more problems than anything else.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Anyone here grow passion fruit? I'm trying to figure out a trellis or arbor for a new plant. I have an old dog run that I want to remove, but could use it for a massive trellis, but am thinking that is probably not the best thing because A. I want to take it down at some point, and B. It would shade some of my grow space on my patio.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
20240524_155848.jpg
I was out in the yard after a rain and my iris is just starting to bloom. The beads of water on one of the flowers looked amazing so I took a pic and decided to post it here like a faggot. I put it in the outdoors thread since I didn't really know where it belonged.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
1000001844.jpg
I potted up my finger lime and morro blood orange trees, so citrus alley is complete (I hope).
1000001846.jpg
I ordered and received another red gold bare root nectarine tree, thinking that I would replace the other one since it was absolutely pathetic (structure, size, roots). Today I'm seeing the pathetic one coming to life so I don't have it in me to dig it up and return it, so I soaked and potted up the new one. Still trying to figure out a home for these, but I'm guessing I'll put them in my old dog run.

After getting done with that I fertilized all my fruit trees (in ground ones and potted ones) and then heavily watered everything. I was planning on taking on a pretty major project in building my new grill, but this was my excuse to procrastinate since it needed to be done as well.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
View attachment 103336
I potted up my finger lime and morro blood orange trees, so citrus alley is complete (I hope).
View attachment 103337
I ordered and received another red gold bare root nectarine tree, thinking that I would replace the other one since it was absolutely pathetic (structure, size, roots). Today I'm seeing the pathetic one coming to life so I don't have it in me to dig it up and return it, so I soaked and potted up the new one. Still trying to figure out a home for these, but I'm guessing I'll put them in my old dog run.

After getting done with that I fertilized all my fruit trees (in ground ones and potted ones) and then heavily watered everything. I was planning on taking on a pretty major project in building my new grill, but this was my excuse to procrastinate since it needed to be done as well.
Your garden is strong enough for a man, but ph balanced for a woman.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
The garden store had stone fruit on sale 30% off since now is stone fruit season for the most part. I didn't need them, but had to pick a few up. I got double delight nectarine and sweet treat pluerry (never heard of it, but it's a cross between plumb and cherry). I potted those fuckers up.
I sowed two new trays of lettuce with prizehead, black seeded simpson, ruby leaf, lolla rosso, and freckles.
I needed a pot for my passion fruit, so I took the one I've been using for compost and broke up the contents into 4 smaller pots.
I pruned my tomatoes' low hanging branches.
I fertilized every potted plant with fish emulsion.
Tomorrow I'm going to pot of the passion fruit, but I still don't know what I'm going to do for a trellis.
Overall very productive day.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Almost all my bare root trees "woke up" and started showing leaves after a few weeks, but my flavortop nectarine never did...until today. That's almost 6 weeks. I was worried I'd have to return it and it was pissing me off because it has the best branch structure of all the new trees. I can't believe in my climate that it took that long, but whatever, things turned out.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
1000001955.jpg
1000001954.jpg
Im getting some nice meaty blackberries. I go over to the plants and pick a handful or 2 every few days.
1000001952.jpg
The eureka Variegated lemon is throwing out some beautiful pinkish purple blossoms.
1000001953.jpg
Check out this ridiculous fruit set on the oro blanco grapefruit. Nuts for a midget. Once it drops whatever wasn't sufficiently polinated I'll have to do some heavy thinning, otherwise this tree will lose all it's branches from the weight.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Turned two full 25 gallon bamboo pots into 7-8 25 gallon pots with a reciprocating saw.
I use them for privacy.

Can sell a full 25 gallon for 150 buck easy here, I sell a bunch every 5 years or so

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
1000001960.jpg
1000001961.jpg
The pepper plants are big enough now to produce fruit so i won't be spending any more time picking off flowers and fruit sets.
1000001956.jpg
1000001957.jpg
1000001958.jpg
The summer lettuce is looking pretty good. I'm doing my best to water over the top midday each day to cool off the leaves and postpone bolting. I'm hoping to get 2 full cuts before these plants are off to seed. I've got some seedlings started to replace them when the time is right.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm not following what you're saying. Explain please.
Bamboo fills a pot with roots, I cut that mass of roots into 4 quarters and put one quarter into a pot and fill it with soil. Turning one pot of bamboo into 4 pots of bamboo. In 3-4 years all 4 pots will need to be split/quartered and the process will happen again.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Bamboo fills a pot with roots, I cut that mass of roots into 4 quarters and put one quarter into a pot and fill it with soil. Turning one pot of bamboo into 4 pots of bamboo. In 3-4 years all 4 pots will need to be split/quartered and the process will happen again.
Ok, makes sense. I was thinking you were taking 25 gallon pots made of bamboo and somehow with a saw turning that into 7 or 8 bamboo pots. Really had me questioning life.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Ok, makes sense. I was thinking you were taking 25 gallon pots made of bamboo and somehow with a saw turning that into 7 or 8 bamboo pots. Really had me questioning life.
I can turn a single 25 gallon root and shoot filled pot into 7 or more med to large size pots if I cut the slices thin enough. As long as you get a rhizome along with the existing bamboo shoot/culm it will fill out whatever pot you put it in. Takes a couple years and every pot will fill out if you give it some water to survive during the dry seasons.

I have purchased bamboo maybe 4 times in my life and was gifted another 5 small pots...9 varieties total or so. I have turned those initial pots into hundreds of 25 ish gallon pots that I have gifted, or sold(for up to $200 apiece). I currently have 8 varieties of bamboo in 40-50 Bamboo pots at the house I'm in.

Bit of a bamboo nerd actually. I've been messing with it for 35 years or so.