Gastelum on GSP vs Bisping: What’s the point of having contenders or rankings?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Fresh off his impressive TKO finish of Vitor Belfort, Kelvin Gastelum called out Anderson Silva in a bout that he thinks could push him higher in the middleweight division.

“(Anderson Silva is) a big name, he’s another legend, and he’s ranked above me, and I want to keep moving up the rankings,” Gastelum said on the post-fight press conference. And I want the fight that will eventually lead me to a title shot.”

Interestingly enough, while Gastelum wants these bouts to improve his ranking and get to the top, he has also been vocal about the Georges St-Pierre vs Michael Bisping title bout being “unfair” for the division.

“What’s the point of having contenders? What’s the point of having rankings if we’re not going…

Gastelum on GSP vs Bisping: Why even have rankings?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
"What's the point of rankings?"

"I want to fight an old man way past his prime to get a title shot"

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Kelvin seems like a cool dude, but he first beat a guy who turned pro in 2001 when Kelvin was 10 years old and hadn't fought in over two years. Next, he fought a guy, a legend, who turned pro when Kelvin was 5 years old, and who has looked very washed up in his last several fights. That doesn't take away from the point Gastelum was trying to make, it's just that his timing could've been better. Perhaps waiting until you've fought a middleweight contender that's even remotely close to their prime would've been the move.