Good MMA autobiographies?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Over the years I've read about a number of fighter memoirs, but I've never actually read one. I read some of BJ Penn's but it just wasn't very well written and some of BJ's own chronology of events was wrong.

I loved McCorkle's review of Matt Hughes' bio, but definitely got the sense that it was more interesting than the book. I also read summaries of Frank Shamrock's book and that one I think I'd like to read.

Thinking back, I did read Inside the Lion's Den, but that was close to the worst book I've ever read. Are there any well written and engaging fighter memoirs out there that I should read?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Pulvers was awesome IMO..check out "Lil Evil" its a good book..

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Matt Hughes' was weird. He talks about cutting off the balls of piglets and then running around and throwing it at his brother while the pigs were crying in pain. somehow he found this humorous. :confused: Then i think they beat up his dad because he didnt want them to be out late and then they beat up his family in law at his brothers wedding. it seemed pretty out of whack when i read that.

i agree with Bjs book it was kinda iffy.

The way of the fight from GSP is interesting although i doesnt sound like GSP. It seems like his thoughts but then edited heavily. Just didnt seem like his voice and more of the ghostwriter.

I think i read the chuck liddell book.

none of the autobiographies were really that interesting i found. GSP's was the best out of the ones i read but then im not sure how much of he actually wrote himself.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Didn't know Tank had a book. Seems like that would be a good read. I'll check it out. Inside the Lions Den was very forgettable. Forrest book was eh? I enjoyed Chuck's book quite a bit. Tito's was good but seemed like he may have exaggerated a bit... I know that's hard to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Frank Shamrock's was interesting, though I had the sense that he has very little insight into his own failings and flaws. GSP's for me seesawed between dull and bizarre. Chael Sonnen's is light on actual fighting talk but his observations on movies and music are genuinely brilliant. I need to read Matt Hughes' because that famous summary so blew my mind.

Thanks for Pulver rec! Will check that one.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Frank Shamrock's was interesting, though I had the sense that he has very little insight into his own failings and flaws. GSP's for me seesawed between dull and bizarre. Chael Sonnen's is light on actual fighting talk but his observations on movies and music are genuinely brilliant. I need to read Matt Hughes' because that famous summary so blew my mind.

Thanks for Pulver rec! Will check that one.
Welcome!