VID HOW TO DO KARATE....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Someone @ TMMAC recently posted a thread about what is the best style of traditional martial arts for MMA. No takers posted... really. MMA is "centric" to MMA, is the answer.

I think a better approach is not about just selecting or evaluating style of traditional martial arts... the better approach is understanding TMA, as the no-takers on posting replies to the above thread indicates. And this is where I can help, if MMA is so inclined.... Now that I'm done sobbing over Wonderboy's drubbing by Woodley, I can concentrate again.

I came across this shorty YT vid explaining how to do karate. And that's the elephant in the room because the lion-share of the karate-stylist failures in MMA is because the karate-experienced stylists... don't really know how to do karate well. Wonderboy is on that fringe... and the really tough, determined MMA opponents he's had in Brown & now Woodley have borne this conclusion out....

So here's the vid. This style has somewhat of an Okinawan flavor. To me, their are three main branches of traditional karate, along ethnic lines for a first distinction. Okinawan, Japanese, and Korean. Chinese also have "karate," for instance, but it would be more accurate as a generalization to name it Kempo. As a generalization. The Kempo's or Kenpo to me are really applied kung fu... very fighting, self defense oriented.... I'll explain more after the vid.

As a preamble though, I want to get out of the way the fact that the instructor is using a smaller, weaker, less experienced partner to demonstrate... I hate this because is weakens credibility in any demo. Commercially, I can see as an Ad. But a large portion of the criticism of traditional karate is that it really doesn't work against strongly-resisting opponents... and this kind of inferior-skilled partner plays directly into that criticism... and rightly so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77q25TatdZE

FIRST, what's good about this video is that it is short & sweet... yet says a lot.
SECOND, the video also presents the information in a way that does cause some confusion about how to actually understand karate traditionally, and how to then properly train it. I'll enumerate.

1. Karate's Origination. Karate originated in Okinawa and is an ancient art. Well, as far as my understanding, ancient is several hundred years old. I leave defining that time frame to all the karate lineage buff. For my purposes, it's critical to understand that karate evolved out of the Kung fu's ... colloquially speaking... which cover a comparatively vast number, make & manner of traditional martial art styles.... Important point, is that karate tradition has been around for centuries... the relevance is that the principles underlying traditional karate have been developed over & practiced for centuries. A ton of thought & study has been put into the martial art of karate....

2. Karate Later Spread to Japan (Rest of World). The significance here is that the predominate styles and practices of karate we see today, particularly in the U.S., are Japanese based models. Essentially popularized forms of Shotokan karate or it's derivatives... Depending again on lineage investigation... this form of traditional karate is less than 100 years old... maybe originating about 1930's. Again, lineage buffs can pontificate. My person karate style is a derivative of Shotokan... with some very important differences....

3. Karate Uses Total Body As A Weapon. The is completely true.. yet very vague. Vaguery creates confusion & mis-understanding.

Ricardo goes on to define how karate uses varied parts of the body in different forms to hurt the opponent. He starts with uses the fingers as an attack against the eyes.... What Ricardo is doing is defining karate by technique, describing karate as a set or menu of techniques. And doing so in the context of martial action against the opponent. The implication is to hurt the opponent in a way that impairs physical function... a finger-poke damaging the eyes... trauma, can't see, the fall-out of that....

What I like about this explanation is Ricardo explains the diversity in karate technique. And that karate proper doesn't limit those technique in terms of target.... So ya MMA, you don't need Muay Thai 'cause it has elbows and karate fighting only has the reverse punch.... that's wrong. People are mixing conventions with principles....

4. Karate is Limited With Kicks. This IMO, is a generality with Okinawan styles of karate. It's less true with the Japanese styles and even less true with the Korean styles. However, traditionally, the hands among karate styles are the preferred weapon.... that's generally a principle.

Very Important. Note the kicks that Ricardo demos. It's the basic kicks, around the middle zone. It's kicks that keep you directly facing the opponent. These are the tactically effective way to employ kicks in actual fighting because they are efficient, feasible for great strength, relatively fast, and minimize your vulnerabilities of being on 1-leg, a physically limiting posture.

The latter leads me to believe that Ricardo & Premier Martial Arts in this studio hue to an Okinawan flavored karate style... ALSO, the emphasis on damaging technique using many different body parts....

5. Karate is Very Good for Self Defense. That's karate's applied goal. I will add civilian self defense... not specialized roles like the military... police, etc. As a general principle, the techniques are for civilian self defense.

6. Karate is for Everybody. Yep. A personal endeavor for humans. Don't need to compete, don't need to be a killer, can be for fitness, recreation, rudimentary self defense, an avocation, etc. Karate is really self-improvement which then can transfer that set of heightened capability& channel into multiple endeavors....

7. Karate in It's True Form is a Combat Art. Yep. To clarify, the applied goal of traditional karate is self-defense. Self-defense is the guiding, principle goal in application... on how it is used in life. That really speaks volumes in defining how serious an endeavor traditional karate is, should you desire to actually use it for it's intended application. An assailant can be very dangerous... can cause grievous harm,, or even if not,,, a lot of trouble for you. The use of karate the same. Karate in application involves the potential to hurt people, maybe badly.

8. It's Not About Power; It's Not About Strength. I'd redefine, it's not about raw power, it's not about brute (bigger, unthinking,) strength.

9. It's About Technique, It's About Accuracy. We replace 8, with Technique that intelligently applies power; that accurately applies strength. We definitely use the body's strength, now where No. 3 above comes in, the WHOLE Body's strength to direct power in an efficient, effective way.

To summarize, karate is not about raw power or strength against same; it's about tactically efficient application of power against raw power or strength.... generally the most important when the latter is superior to our own. I.e., the female against the male, bookworm versus the bully etc...

10. The Demo. The weaker attacker, coming on weak & passive... why MMA pans karate dojos. Their only excuse is that I haven't done my own vid... they have me there.

Then, though the demo gets better, in principle. How Richardo structures his response to the co-instructor coming in... nice presentation. Especially in demoing how karate takes on technically the invincible Muay Thai clinch or Gracie grapple r which the karate striker is "unable" to defend. Really silly promotions by the grappling crowd... Eagerly waiting the Wonderboy-Maia matchup.... really wanna see that one....

11. Karate Done for Cardio & Strength. This was brought up sooner, in term of karate being a "combat art." The point is that Ricardo makes plain that karate involves, actually requires physical strength & conditioning... a per-requisite... & a requisite actually.

The further implication though, is that we take all of Ricardo's instructional teachings about how to do karate into our conditioning formula. We are conditioning the WHOLE BODY in the ways that produce the ability to use the entire body as a weapon.... i.e. and effective weapon.... i.e. for self dense... i.e., back to combat art in application.

Is that McGregor doing the Ido Portal stuff... may be so... what's the principles behind our conditioning... to reach our combat art training objective. Or, is it pushups? Or is it hitting tractor tires with sledge hammers? What, how should we best condition, efficiently condition for karate?

ENDING: Ricardo's Tactical Response. I like the structure and technique he uses. It's a tactically intelligent response. I like the multiple techniques. Here, we don't see Ricardo step back like in my white-yellow belt 1 Step Sparring vids. He just takes the assailant on.... again very Okinawan in flavor, what one can see. No back peddling, throwing his hands up to cover, duck, moving all over with exaggerated footwork like we see constantly in MMA.

It's a nice, Okinawan-flavored vignette on how karate shuts down a classic MMA move, right-out-of-the-box. IN PRINCIPLE. Contrast Ricardo against the Wonderboy-Glorified "Distance Management (NOT)." The drawback to Ricardo's approach is that it doesn't sell tickets. It is, however, the model to defeat Duke Roufus. No sheet.

I especially like the ending with hands, employing sound stances & striking bang, bang, BANG. Ricardo's tactic is a similar to my kumite style. I don't back away... I don't hesitate. I poise, then take on the opponent with deliberation. My strike(s) are directed for effect & finish. I avoid demonstrating on fellow class members who I don't need karate to "beat up."

Can't be throwing upper-body strength boxing-like punch @ Woodley and win. UFC 205 proved that kind of "karate" is WEAK. MMA > "Karate," right again.

EDIT: Needs Far-easterner y music background... lacking.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I've scared off TMMAC posters, so it's time I play Devil's Advocate, and post the requisite MMA rebuttal. See vid below. It's all there!
HOW TO DO KARATE.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy9_IhJMu-g
Pay special attention to"Hardcore," resistance training.... My shout-out to Matt Thornton & SBG, etc.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, BACK TO "HOW TO DO KARATE..."

So (MMA) how do you do karate? Let's start with Eddie Alvarez recent quote on his 1st Rnd. TKO LOSS to Conor McGregor: "I f-ing blew it." Eddie goes on to say he / they (his camp) had a game plan, but knowing isn't doing. Yep, I say, that's right. Knowing how to do a bunch of karate moves isn't doing either.

So the first premise to recognize in how to do karate is that karate isn't a physical exercise @ heart, it's a mental discipline. Now of course karate is very physical. In fact, I like to say karate starts out physical and goes mental. We have to get in shape. We have to strengthen our bodies. We have to learn physical techniques, such as those Ricardo demonstrates. The guiding physical principle in karate, though, is that we have to learn to use and apply our whole body in every technique. And that use of the entire body is done in a dynamic way. What does that mean?

We want our body to be the vector for the maximum effect against our opponent. But instead of maximizing say physical strength like weight-lifers or wrestlers do, in karate we want to optimize the overall physical basic of abilities. We don't want just strength, we want speed. We just don't want speed, we want balance. We don't want just balance, we want flexibility. We don't just want endurance, we want high output. And so on. We want to undergo stress, not at the expense of health.

So how do we do this in karate traditional training? By building the physical skill set around how the body naturally functions. Then we ramp that up with certain drills and exercises, some intensive physically. What we don't want to do in karate is place the physical above the mental, sacrifice the mental abilities for the sake of physical development. We want to grow and develop a palate of mental skills in conjunction with the physical skills. More importantly, critically important to accomplishing karate, we want the mind & body to connect and grow as an integrated unit. We want the mind in charge at all times.

What does this mean for fighting? We don't want to be reacting to our opponent. Then martially, our opponent has control of the fight. We want to be in control. And we do that by consciously acting all the time... not reacting. We decide what we are going to do and then do it. Do we "react," sure. The difference is that the mind is exacting discipline over that reaction and what to do next. The mind knows it is more effective to act in an effective, calculated manner, real time. Why is this important? Because can make the correct decisions efficiently, effectively without hesitation. We can get our entire body to act, deliberately, and put strength into technique that will be successful by karate (martial) principles. WE are in control of the opponent because we are exerting control first, over ourselves. See the exercise below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf0ESFr9Jfc

This looks like some customized Okinawan karate-based kata (form).

One of the objections that MMA, and other sport fighters including latter karateka say all the time is that you don't / can't fight with forms. Literally no in the sense that we don't go into a match and automatically regurgitate this pattern on our opponent. But if one takes a mature, college level thinking approach for awhile, you should realize how very unthinkingly silly such a conclusion is. If you think about the intelligent premise behind traditional karate, then one can begin to see the opposite.

We are conditioning the body in a natural way, incorporating the form of martial techniques, we are using and relying on the entire body, and we are doing so @ higher intensity than normal, regular physical function. The intensity and precision of the physical action builds mental discipline. We develop of the mental strength to gather and employ the physical strength of the whole body in martial action, in a coordinated & synchronized application of sets of tactics including tactical movement. In a word, SOPHISTICATED.

So in how to do karate, do we fight with forms? YES, IN PRINCIPLE. We are learning and developing a base of physical AND mental skills, united and working together with the mind fully engaged at all times. We ARE NOT PUNCHING AIR. We are learning how to exert extreme control over our actions at all times, engaging the entire body's capabilities in that effort for an optimized effect.

The opening in this form makes my head hurt. The basic, Japanese karate kata are so much similar in form. That's because it is so very easy for the unthinking to engage these forms as performance art, a gym exercise, a lite "workout," doing looking cool fighting like-stuff... and miss the principled traditional martial objectives I've laid out. The MMA relevance?

We don't go into a contest and say, "Hey, I knew how to do stuff, my coach and I know what to do... but when the time came, mental discipline flew out the window.... AND I F-ING BLEW IT!!!! MMA, sport protagonists spout how sparring is the way to gain championship level fighting skills. Eddie Alvarez was quoted as saying he prepared for RDA by engaging in 150 sparring fights... and that is the way to success. My karate answer.... apparently not with Conor. In how to do karate, we don't learn to fight by fighting. We learn to fight by preparing to fight.... physically, then mentally, then blending the two together with mental discipline always on top.

How do you think Woodley-Roufus would game plan against that?

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
QUICKLY, HERE'S RICARDO...

Actually, in karate traditional basics, we are doing the exact same physical and mental exercise that we do in kata; however, the focus is more isolated on the individual physical form of the technique along with the internal mechanics and mental involvement in that. BAsics in karate are technique centered, as opposed to movement & tactically centered.

Once we learn the basics, attain a proficiency, we are then on to CHOICES... as Ricardo demos below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwymVTIR1hA

Like Sonia broke my heart using resistance bands, Ricardo hurt my feelings by describing, "jab, cross." Ouch. What Ricardo explains as the video progresses, is that in karate tradition, we are presented with choices on how to tactically employ our technique. This is what that awful 1-step sparring drill is aimed at teaching. How to recognize and make choices. Not do what Aldo & Alvarez did against Conor and chance the odds it will pay off like it did against RDA or Cerrone, etc.:p

We don't game plan in karate. We don't look to corner-man DAD or any one else. We either know, in principle, precisely what to do or we haven't trained sufficiently to address the opponent at that level of challenge. In karate kumite, we are in there alone... just like in self defense, and we have split-seconds to act... under principles like KIME, the mental skills, the mental principles of traditional karate.

So like in the OP first video, where Woodley was against the fence then surges forward to grab... whatever... I have a response... a deliberate action in advance that applies, in principle, to that situation. What did Wonderboy do when Woodley surges forward off the fence into the opponent standing right in front of him upright? Wonderboy re-actively backed up and tried to get off a punch at some point with Woodley firing off one first... all to no effect. My KARATE objective is to ACT quickly and efficiently dismantle Woodley... just like Ricardo's OP demo, IN PRINCIPLE. Now, can you do karate?

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
HERE IS AMONG THE BEST MMA EXAMPLES OF MENTAL DISCIPLINE OVER RAW POWER.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAlG38uCKI

This match effectively ended Rousey's sterling MMA career. The pinnacles upon which she built her competition success where all pulled out from under her by Holly Holm by early Round 2.

And the reason we haven't heard more from Holm? The depth of her mental discipline base is relatively weak compared to a bona-fide karate black-belt. Immediate upset disappointments against raw power....

Me, I'm completely enthralled with the Karate video perspective in Reply #1... the circle is complete....:cheers:

EDIT#1: What boxing collary do you see to the very elemental one-step sparring illustrations I have provided? Pro-am boxing tactics are a way to go also... but's it's the mental discipline of HOLM that destroyed Rousey....

EDIT#2: @UFC 205, Wonderboy's mental discipline fell way short of Holm's level in this fight... and that's what empowered Woodley... who to his supreme credit, was well-prepared....

EDIT#3: Okinawan karate base theory. Hands primary,,, kicks auxiliary and when definite tactical opportunity arises.... The ANCIENT MASTERS DID KNOW WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT... NOT ROYCE GRACIE AFTER ALL..! ticket sales down...!:D

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I DON'T KNOW THIS KARATE COMPETITOR... HOW WOULD WOODLEY HANDLE A WELTERWEIGHT "JOE?"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKRyJHvjA0o

I like Shotokan for MMA, because it's aggressive, yet highly-disciplined, strong physical action is pragmatically attainable.

Joe, doesn't aimlessly circle back & forth in front of Woodley exposed to a counter. He actively takes charge and intelligently takes the fight right to the opponent with, in Ricardo's words, technique & accuracy (plus whole body power).

BTW: The mistake Joe's opponents' are making is thinking that doing the physical sparring drills, getting good like MMA working the bag & pads... random sparring, will make them able to simply out-trade strikes physically with another opponent. It doesn't work against the mental fighter. Karate is mental discipline.

EDIT#1: Note how Joe kicks the legs out of the opponents who have weak, crap stances. Just drilling physical sparring is kickboxing, NOT KARATE. In kihon (basics) those stances are strong. Those stances are built to take force, as well as to launch WHOLE BODY power from. The later karate exercises add disciplined movement... the first basic to transition from stance to stance, always ready to create that strong, stance base.

EDIT#2: How do you think pressure fighting Joe would work out? Sound karate has an answer for everything, in principle....

EDIT#3: Joe is putting Ricardo's front kick VIDEO PRINCIPLES into action. WOW. PRINCIPLES. My goal is to free spar 150 times over 2 years (1.44 times a week).... 'cause luv that Holm > Rousey fight. When it comes to karate sparring, less is more....

EDIT#4: Ronda, so smart to have the hands up, unlike that "dumb" karate chambering....:confused:

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I got a request to summarize my karate ramblings... try to put the Woodley win over Thompson in 50 words or less. Do a menu. Legit request re MMA Forum. This "How to Do Karate" Thread, then, kinda bl_ws. To let myself off the hook, one can't really type a thread into an internet forum and spread karate wisdom instantly to the world. Not-doable.

Moreover, traditional karate training is just too hard for most MMA competitors. Proper karate training that is. So traditional martial arts, including karate, will never be a meaningful force in filling UFC (UFE ?) coffers. If you want to continue on with my karate "stuff," that's a universal per-requisite.

See draft of Karate Overview, below. To competently assess why karate fighters lose in MMA (or win), we have to understand karate. Warning, will have some rambles.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
THE TRADITIONAL KARATE MODEL.

THE TRADITIONAL KARATE MODEL AS MOST COMMONLY PRACTICED TODAY, HAS THREE MAIN COMPONENTS.

I. KIHON (or basics)
II. KATA (or patterns or forms)
III. KUMITE (actual contests or fighting)

This model evolved in Okinawa, the birthplace of karate. Originally, the model was based solely on KATA.

Japanese karates adopted this model from the Okinawans, with the most prevalent style being the Shotokan Kartate originated by Gichin Funakoshi. My karate style is an offshoot of Shotokan, with several distinctions and some improvements, IMO.

My style of karate, and the modern model of traditional karate I've described above, actually has two additional components (or sub-components of the essential three listed above). These two added parts are then CONDITIONING, AND SELF-DEFENSE.

So the traditional karate model now has Five Components for arguments sake.

I. CONDITIONING (Calisthenics, etc.)
II. KIHON
III. KATA
IV. SELF-DEFENSE (Applications)
V. KUMITE.

OR,

I. KIHON (basics) including CONDITIONING
II. KATA (forms)
III. KUMITE (fighting including SELF-DEFENSE applications)

KIHON, KATA, AND KUMITE have sub-components which I won't go into in this overview. There's also overlap and reinforcement among these components.

There is a detailed curriculum spelled out in manuals, which provides the specifics of each component of the karate model.

It's essential, though not absolutely necessary, to train and study all the MAIN COMPONENTS, and to learn and incorporate the specifics in the curriculum manuals. For instance, one doesn't have to do kata to become good at traditional karate... but kata is essential to developing the higher, highest level of skill.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
HOW DOES KARATE TRADITIONAL DEVELOP MARTIAL SKILL THEORETICALLY

I'm not going to answer this directly. I will say that the Korean karate manuals such as Tang Soo Do make this a lot plainer than do the manuals for the other traditional martial arts. That's my opinion.

In short, traditional karate is a mental discipline. This is as opposed to the sport fighting methods, models such as boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, how I see them trained including generic MMA gyms and camps. The latter develop athleticism... center on solid physical capability. See Duke Roufus's "Striking Formula" YouTube Video for a sample of what I am speaking about for MMA.

My theorem for the superiority of karate over MMA, etc., is that the mentally-adept fighter who is well conditioned physically, will overcome the athletically superior opponent. Mentally disciplined karateka will defeat the bigger, stronger, quicker athlete. Of course, this isn't easy to achieve. Traditional karate is for the thinking man, not the athletically centered.

Note the two not be mutually exclusive. Jon Jones is a prime example, IMO. So is Holly Holm on her good days. Ronda Rousey is pure athlete, hence her loss to Holm. 'Shad Evans is pure athlete, hence his loss to John Jones. Hope that helps. Another, Jose Aldo is pure athlete, hence his loss to Conor McG.

Any time TMMAC Forum readers need a break, review Post #2. it's "dead on...."

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
CONTINUING ON WITH THIS GAWD-AWFUL THREAD, AND SO VERY APROPOS TO THE ROUSEY LOSS TO NUNES...

HERE'S A GLINT ON HOW TO APPROACH TRADITIONAL KARATE TRAINING, THE PHILOSOPHY, AS OPPOSED TO RAY LONGO, "PUNCH A HOLE IN HIS CHEST...."

HERE GOES RASHA...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQCTzczR8j4

So whaty'd think? Key word, THINK! KINDA MUS-MASH OF QUASI-INTELLIGENT, ETHOS SOUNDING STUFF.
\
Video author takes himself way too seriously, as MMA forum members will jump all over... I said it first.

Sage... all you've been doing wrong, in a round-a-bout way....

EDIT: Longo quote: "Punch a hole in their F----ing chest." There ya go, $4 billion sale price tag & counting....

Last edited:

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Would the great Mas Oyama approve of your keyboard karate katas intermixed with all that crystal meth and peanut butter sandwiches you cling to? Like a good dojo, you must clean your keyboard first, hard to clean keyboard when sitting on high horse. sometime horse go doo doo on keyboard. not good. poo poo on keyboard not good daniel son. then again for some poo poo is bliss. please don't hari kari or whatever yourself(or jump through my monitor and dim mak me. just kidding bro, peace

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
Would the great Mas Oyama approve of your keyboard karate katas intermixed with all that crystal meth and peanut butter sandwiches you cling to? Like a good dojo, you must clean your keyboard first, hard to clean keyboard when sitting on high horse. sometime horse go doo doo on keyboard. not good. poo poo on keyboard not good daniel son. then again for some poo poo is bliss. please don't hari kari or whatever yourself(or jump through my monitor and dim mak me. just kidding bro, peace
what are you like lol

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
I am 5th generation Tai Ching Pek War (drunken monkey kung fu macaroni) Throw in some White Eyebrow and a some Wu Tang for good measure and that's about it. Just to clarify-- not the left handed black art of shit-throwing drunken monkeys-- we pride ourselves on NOT throwing shit at adversaries. Unless they have too much starch in their Gi and insist on trying to brain wash me into their weird antiquated form of fighting. Peace!

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
I am 5th generation Tai Ching Pek War (drunken monkey kung fu macaroni) Throw in some White Eyebrow and a some Wu Tang for good measure and that's about it. Just to clarify-- not the left handed black art of shit-throwing drunken monkeys-- we pride ourselves on NOT throwing shit at adversaries. Unless they have too much starch in their Gi and insist on trying to brain wash me into their weird antiquated form of fighting. Peace!
Drunken boxing, must be one of my favourite styles...