Joe Rogan: Conor McGregor KO means Jose Aldo’s legacy ‘is always gonna be tarnished’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It’s completely unthinkable that a great fighter’s legacy could come down to a 13-second highlight, but here we are.

The whole idea is complete nonsense. A narrative fiction propagated by trolls; a few seconds of an athletes career spun out into a web that threatens to envelop all his other achievements. Which also means it may not be wrong.

Because that’s the trouble with a ‘legacy’. It isn’t defined by what you did so much as its defined by what people remember you doing. And at least in the moment, the thing a lot of people seem to remember most about Jose Aldo is him getting knocked out by Conor McGregor at UFC 194. Joe Rogan put words to the thought on a recent episode of his Fight Companion Podcast, discussing Aldo’s legacy right now.

“Aldo’s…

Rogan: McGregor KO will always tarnish Aldo’s legacy

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Regardless of the Honda act he put on, he's right about Aldo - who, even if he wins and like dc never beating jones, won't sleep well at night

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'd say that Rogan spouting off idiotic shit like this tarnishes his 'legacy' but that is his legacy - spouting off ridiculous shit.

Conor himself got finished in his next fight, it's ridiculous to think a flash KO means that much. Aldo is 11-1 in WEC/UFC championship fights and holds two dominant victories of a fellow ATG in Frankie Edgar. His legacy is fine.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
It was definitely a humiliating loss that could've been averted if Aldo wasn't so Brazilian (as in, he let some stupid 12-year-old primary school playground type banter get to him as if someone broke into his house and held a knife to his wife's throat) and went out fighting like an idiot.

He could defend against Holloway and go up to LW and chase McGregor for a rematch, but it seems like Conor is chasing non-mma stuff and will do for a while, so a chase for Aldo might be futile.

ender852

TMMAC Addict
Jan 31, 2015
i think aldo will always have a place in the history books for being the first ufc featherweight champ, and the longest reigning one.
but he's right, it's a black mark on his career, and one that won't go away. that said, his legacy is secure already regardless of what else he accomplishes.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
It was definitely a humiliating loss that could've been averted if Aldo wasn't so Brazilian (as in, he let some stupid 12-year-old primary school playground type banter get to him as if someone broke into his house and held a knife to his wife's throat) and went out fighting like an idiot.
Here's he kicker... Aldo doesn't speak English, let alone Conor's Irish accent... that means he got all shook by Conor's BODY LANGUAGE. That's next level shit bruh!

Rambo John J

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Here's he kicker... Aldo doesn't speak English, let alone Conor's Irish accent... that means he got all shook by Conor's BODY LANGUAGE. That's next level shit bruh!
if he lands a fraction before conor the KO may be other way around...that fight was that closer and ended on a flash KO

Props to CM
but don't pretend Aldo doesn't have something for him if he ever fights 145 again...ALdo cut and swelled him with one shot...if he gets going who knows how the fight goes....ALdo is 10 times more experienced/decorated than conor is
Conor landed his amazing shot a fraction earlier and props to him

They both tried to end it with one punch...amazing fight really looking back on it...those guys wanted to go so badly

Conor has amazing timing and natural power, that is very special.

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I'd say that Rogan spouting off idiotic shit like this tarnishes his 'legacy' but that is his legacy - spouting off ridiculous shit.
lol you nailed it.

Now, defining a fighter's decade-long career over a 13 seconds loss is such an entitled point of view.

In a real sports environment a quick KO like that only means they have to do a rematch. All props to the winner - that is probably the greatest single win in mma history - but that just spells rematch

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Jose's legacy wouldn't be so tarnished if Rogan told all the people who actually listen to him that it's not.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
set up the rematch .the guy loses 1 fight in 10 years and his legacy is tarnished
?get the fuck out of here with that disrespectful bullshit.

M

member 3289

Paper belt, just like DC's paper belt.

Unless Aldo gets a rematch and beats McGregor, which he won't, his legacy is indeed tarnished.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
He was talking about the fact that it's sad that it tarnished his legacy. He's not saying that Aldo's run is tarnished, he's saying it's what people will remember him for, and that it sucks.

He's right. This article, and this thread, is full of anger about nothing.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I hold Aldo in much higher regard than Mcgregor.
I'm not taking anything from Mcgregor for his efforts, but he simply hasn't performed near the same level for any period.
I can't imagine what Aldo could've accomplished with a $300,000.00 training camp.
Really, what's tarnished the most over this is the UFC's title legitimacy.
Not only for not granting an obviously deserved immediate rematch, but for mucking up title shots in Mcgregors two respective divisions, as well as ushering in an era of illegitimacy as standard across seemingly all divisions.

Joe would be good to quote that^^^ to regain some personal legitimacy rather than choke on the latest trendy cock.
And I actually favor Joe moreso than not.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
And McGregor's legacy is "forever tarnished by Nate Diaz". See how that works?

Joe needs to get off the shrooms.

He's right but what's his point, a loss is a black mark on a fighter's record? Thanks Joe!

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
He was talking about the fact that it's sad that it tarnished his legacy. He's not saying that Aldo's run is tarnished, he's saying it's what people will remember him for, and that it sucks.

He's right. This article, and this thread, is full of anger about nothing.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. He is simply perpetuating what he claims to be saddened by.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Aldo is a future hall of famer, regardless of that one loss. And Conor will be in there as well. All these guys have someone they can't beat. As for Bones Jones, he can't beat the Coco, but everybody else.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. He is simply perpetuating what he claims to be saddened by.
I can see your point there, but a fact is a fact in this instance. Unfortunately, after all that Aldo has done (one of my favorite fighters of all time), he will never be remembered for anything more than getting floored by Conor in 13 seconds. Joe acknowledged that it sucks. If they're talking about Aldo's legacy, he's gonna be honest about it rather than pretending that people are going to remember the 10 years of wins more. I wish it was different, and I am sure Rogan does too, but it's not.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
And McGregor's legacy is "forever tarnished by Nate Diaz". See how that works?

Joe needs to get off the shrooms.
Completely different scenarios. Conor was a superstar when he got beat by Nate. He had already done things the mainstream was going to remember forever, and he continued to do more things after the fact. Aldo, while legitimately one of the best fighters in MMA's history, wasn't a mainstream superstar when he got knocked out by a mainstream superstar. Conor will be remembered for a lot of things, losing to Nate included. Aldo losing to Conor is the only mainstream exposure Aldo has gotten.

What Joe said wasn't that controversial. I don't get the hoopla. It's obvious.