Joe Rogan: Conor McGregor KO means Jose Aldo’s legacy ‘is always gonna be tarnished’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Well, if joe organ said it, it must be true...

I really enjoy Joe as a commentator and love his podcast and feel he is a pretty introspective person for the most part with some decent insights and a good ability to change his mind when presented with evidence conflicting with his existing beliefs (which, nowadays, seems to be a a REAL rarity)...

BUT

There are times when he lets business make him dishonest and he goes along to get along. I believe wholeheartedly that he was told by Lorenzo that if he helped push the completely BOGUS and SILLY myth of Ronda and help push Conor as hard as possible that he would be well taken care of when they sold the company. The sale, if you hadn't noticed, were well timed with the Ronda+Conor push that was a pretty big departure from previous UFC strategy. The UFC had a HORRIFIC 2014 that was the bottom of a crash that started after their best year ever in 2010. I think the brothers decided they needed to exit what they felt was not a stable ship so they POURED their resources into huge pushes for Ronda and Conor and even put together some semi-supercards so they could boost the UFC's growth short-term and exit. Which they accomplished much to WME's chagrin it seems at this early stage.

So Joe became very dishonest about Ronda when it was pretty obvious to anyone not brainwashed that she was lacking in a lot of areas and possessed a personality that usually does not succeed, long-term, in organized sports.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
I really enjoy Joe as a commentator and love his podcast and feel he is a pretty introspective person for the most part with some decent insights and a good ability to change his mind when presented with evidence conflicting with his existing beliefs (which, nowadays, seems to be a a REAL rarity)...

BUT

There are times when he lets business make him dishonest and he goes along to get along. I believe wholeheartedly that he was told by Lorenzo that if he helped push the completely BOGUS and SILLY myth of Ronda and help push Conor as hard as possible that he would be well taken care of when they sold the company. The sale, if you hadn't noticed, were well timed with the Ronda+Conor push that was a pretty big departure from previous UFC strategy. The UFC had a HORRIFIC 2014 that was the bottom of a crash that started after their best year ever in 2010. I think the brothers decided they needed to exit what they felt was not a stable ship so they POURED their resources into huge pushes for Ronda and Conor and even put together some semi-supercards so they could boost the UFC's growth short-term and exit. Which they accomplished much to WME's chagrin it seems at this early stage.

So Joe became very dishonest about Ronda when it was pretty obvious to anyone not brainwashed that she was lacking in a lot of areas and possessed a personality that usually does not succeed, long-term, in organized sports.
But that's the thing... after you've sold your integrity, your motives will be questioned from then on, and rightfully so. So does Rogan believe Aldo's legacy is tarnished, or is he simply toeing the company line?

All I know is that aldo is a legend and there is nothing that can come out of Joe rogans mouth that will have me believe otherwise.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
But that's the thing... after you've sold your integrity, your motives will be questioned from then on, and rightfully so. So does Rogan believe Aldo's legacy is tarnished, or is he simply toeing the company line?

All I know is that aldo is a legend and there is nothing that can come out of Joe rogans mouth that will have me believe otherwise.
Yeah, but no one is going to be perfect. If someone offered you a few million dollars are you going to rant and rave against what they are asking you to say and blow the chance for that money? I think very few people would. In his mind it's entertainment, this ins't Nazi Germany so fuck it. Get paid. At least he is more honest than dishonest. As far as Jose goes, I think it is wrong-headed to say that a bit because Aldo got caught and it was a fluke regardless of Conor's power. If the fight was more than 13 seconds Conor may have won hands down anyway but it was just one of those crazy things. Jose REALLY did himself a major disservice in the years leading up to the KO because he fought SO cautiously that many just completely lost interest in him and then he walked into a KO. I think if Aldo was killing people like he used to and got caught it would be less of an issue and would seem more like Conor was dodging him. As it is, a guy who went to 5 pretty lame decisions out of 7 UFC (not WEC) fights before Conor, then got starched and it looks like Conor has nothing to gain by fighting this guy. If it was 5 finishes out of 7 and Conor won't do a rematch it looks like Conor is running.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
Yeah, but no one is going to be perfect. If someone offered you a few million dollars are you going to rant and rave against what they are asking you to say and blow the chance for that money? I think very few people would. In his mind it's entertainment, this ins't Nazi Germany so fuck it. Get paid. At least he is more honest than dishonest. As far as Jose goes, I think it is wrong-headed to say that a bit because Aldo got caught and it was a fluke regardless of Conor's power. If the fight was more than 13 seconds Conor may have won hands down anyway but it was just one of those crazy things. Jose REALLY did himself a major disservice in the years leading up to the KO because he fought SO cautiously that many just completely lost interest in him and then he walked into a KO. I think if Aldo was killing people like he used to and got caught it would be less of an issue and would seem more like Conor was dodging him. As it is, a guy who went to 5 pretty lame decisions out of 7 UFC (not WEC) fights before Conor, then got starched and it looks like Conor has nothing to gain by fighting this guy. If it was 5 finishes out of 7 and Conor won't do a rematch it looks like Conor is running.
I don't know about everything you just said. First of all, you're right.. I would bullshit my ass off for what Joe is making (though I'm a terrible liar).

But I just don't understand your evaluation of Aldo. When some see boring, I see great performances. I can't speak for everyone, but to me, all of his fights have been entertaining as hell to watch, so I don't think we're gonna see eye to eye on that.

Lastly, that fight between Aldo and mcgregor sold well. As far as deserving rematches and story telling goes, cmon man... they sold us all a barista to fight the lhw champion of the world.. I'm sure they can come up with something intriguing for aldo, the longest reigning fw that's ever existed, to sell that fight.

Rambo John J

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't know about everything you just said. First of all, you're right.. I would bullshit my ass off for what Joe is making (though I'm a terrible liar).

But I just don't understand your evaluation of Aldo. When some see boring, I see great performances. I can't speak for everyone, but to me, all of his fights have been entertaining as hell to watch, so I don't think we're gonna see eye to eye on that.

Lastly, that fight between Aldo and mcgregor sold well. As far as deserving rematches and story telling goes, cmon man... they sold us all a barista to fight the lhw champion of the world.. I'm sure they can come up with something intriguing for aldo, the longest reigning fw that's ever existed, to sell that fight.
Joe is also a terrible liar LOL
It is just that most of his audience is gullible as shit...those that aren't gullible already know Joe is full of BS but enjoy his free content.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Chris Weisman KO means Anderson Silvas legacy will forever be tarnished.

Johns Hendricks getting a close decision loss against GSP where a lot of ppl thought Johny won means GSPs legacy will forever be tarnished.

See how ducking ridiculous that sounds?

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Well, if joe organ said it, it must be true...

His odd fascination with this topic confuddles me. Think right after the Nunes/Rousey fight, Schaub was giving him shit over his praise of Ronda. He admitted his spouts were off, then immediately went the Nunes can knock out male BW's way.

Now had Aldo been on his podcast, confident he would had never said this one.

Interesting person for sure though.

Nov 21, 2015
I'd say that Rogan spouting off idiotic shit like this tarnishes his 'legacy' but that is his legacy - spouting off ridiculous shit.

Conor himself got finished in his next fight, it's ridiculous to think a flash KO means that much. Aldo is 11-1 in WEC/UFC championship fights and holds two dominant victories of a fellow ATG in Frankie Edgar. His legacy is fine.

He not only got subbed... He tapped damn near as quick as Sage. Yet that doesn't "tarnish" his entire damn
legacy just as getting KOd with one punch doesn't tarnish Aldo's entire legacy. I love Joe but he says
some really stupid shit sometimes.