Judging in UFC title fights is actually not too bad

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
With all the hysteria about how the judging in the UFC is so corrupt and inept, I am going to list what are the genuinely bad decisions in UFC title fight history.

1. Lawler vs Condit

Without a doubt the worst decision in modern UFC title history. Anyone scoring this for Lawler needs to be removed from the gene pool. I have seen the arguments for why Lawler won, and they are just ridiculous. It was a straight up robbery.

2. Shogun-Machida

Most would point to this as the worst, but it wasn't as egregious as the above. Machida was countering Shogun's leg kicks better than given credit for, but the sheer accumulation of strikes still wins it for Shogun. You can't seriously find 3 rounds for Machida.

3. Benderson-Frankie 2

The funny thing about this fight is that it only existed because of the bullshit assertion that the first fight was a robbery - Benderson clearly won - only for Frankie to get legitimately screwed in the rematch.

4. Frankie-BJ 1

BJ just straight up won the first 3 rounds and arguably the 4th too. Either way, Frankie did not win 3 rounds.

5. Randleman-Rutten

The worst decision in early MMA history. Like Lawler-Condit, you'll see some incredible mental gymnastics trying to justify Rutten's pattycake from the bottom as making up for getting his face smashed in and then controlled for the entire fight, but don't take these people seriously.

These are the only robberies I can think of and I'm sure even some will disagree with these. GSP-Hendricks, Jones-Reyes etc. - none of those fights count. Over such a long period, it's not too bad a record really.

So it appears MMA judging still isn't as diseased as boxing, where you see ridiculous shit all the time in high profile bouts. Instead, it's when the spotlight is off the judges - when your Leonard Garcias and Diego Sanchezes of the world put in their work - that shit goes horribly wrong.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
No Bisping-Hamill?
I see what you're doing.

Rather than typing out War and Peace 2.0, I probably should have just got to the point: UFC judging is way worse in non-title fights than title fights. Cockroach judges don't like the spotlight it seems.

M

member 3289

I see what you're doing.

Rather than typing out War and Peace 2.0, I probably should have just got to the point: UFC judging is way worse in non-title fights than title fights. Cockroach judges don't like the spotlight it seems.
You give me too much credit. Turns out I'm just a retard with a lack of reading comprehension

M

member 3289

I'm also glad you didn't include any JBJ fights.

Though he has 3 very close title fights (Gus 1, Santos, Reyes), I wouldn't consider any of them bad decisions.

And I scored the first Gus fight for the Mauler.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Sheepdog @CreativeClassMauler what about Forrest-Rampage?
I'm also glad you didn't include any JBJ fights.

Though he has 3 very close title fights (Gus 1, Santos, Reyes), I wouldn't consider any of them bad decisions.

And I scored the first Gus fight for the Mauler.
Don't remember Forrest-Rampage well enough. Remember thinking Rampage won but accepting that the leg kicks could have swayed the fight. Disagree on the Gus fight as thought Jones won too but only just.

I think Lawler-Condit and Bas-Randleman are the only true robberies in title fights. In every other title fight there are some mental gymnastics that can justify the scorecard.

You compare that to every Diego Sanchez fight ever, every Leonard Garcia fight ever, Bisping-Hammill etc. and you realize that there is way more fuckery going on in low-profile fights even factoring in how rare title fights are.