Lifestyle Let's talk stocks!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Even if I dial back their growth potential 3%, still showing $42/share value.
When I bought my target was $40 so I have a sell set at that amount. So far it's been a turd.

I need someone in Washington to start spouting off about a gun and ammo ban.
Help me Nancy Pelosi...You're my only hope...

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
In for later. I do dabble a little in the market. A couple weeks ago I grabbed some TWMJF as they ramp up for Canada's legal weed market. Up 22.5% since I bought it.

Also keeping an eye on GBLX.

I can invest in sectors in my 401(k) and have a hefty portion in Biotechnology and Gold, which have fared well so far.
I don't really care for 401(k) because I watched mine go to the -10% range once. I'd rather invest myself., instead of trusting someone else to do it. As long as my employer matches, I'll still keep putting into it, but will be relying on my own investments to fund my retirement.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Nice thread! I've been waiting for a stocks thread on TMMAC.

Being an Aussie, I only invest on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). I've looked at the US exchanges, but haven't even been close to investing outside of Aust. I like Australian shares because the dividends tend to be larger, although this usually means the share prices don't go up as much as shares in other markets - something I'm willing to live it though.

I'm starting to prefer buying stocks in 'Listed Investment Companies' - These are companies who buy stocks in other companies - Kind of similar to an index fund. You'll never see the share price of these companies double in 6 months, but you won't see them halve in that time either. I bought one called Argo Investments - one of the two biggest LICs in Aust.

About 5 months ago and am currently up bout 8%, but they pay their interim divided this week, which always inflates the price. I'm thinking about selling them today or tomorrow and buying back in a week or so after the shares go ex-dividend. I bought them last year about a week after the final dividend after they dropped 60 cents in a week and I'm optimistic of a similar drop this time.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
I don't really care for 401(k) because I watched mine go to the -10% range once. I'd rather invest myself., instead of trusting someone else to do it. As long as my employer matches, I'll still keep putting into it, but will be relying on my own investments to fund my retirement.
Interesting, why not both?

It has a much higher tax deferment opportunity than most retail options. Have you factored in the growth of that tax deferred portion, compounded over time?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Interesting, why not both?

It has a much higher tax deferment opportunity than most retail options. Have you factored in the growth of that tax deferred portion, compounded over time?
I will always match my employer for my 401k, I just prefer to do a bulk of my investing on my own. Mine has limited options for investing. I say this because I've heard of people putting away like 10-12% a check to 401k when they could simply match their employer and use the rest to invest themselves and potentially get higher compounded returns.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
What kind of "stop limit" do you guys put on your stocks?

Say you buy a share for $10 (for example), what's the most you will let it drop to before you take a loss on it?

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I use TD Ameritrade's thinkorswim platform. I'm used to it and comfortable, so I think when I roll my money to an IRA to start serious trading, it'll definitely be with them.

Like I said in the OP, once I can consistently call stocks to watch that will net a profit, I'll start putting up watchlists and reasons to buy. I'll try to cover all sectors because we all don't like or know the same things. Basically anything that can pass the "test" and I'll just post what industry, so someone interested can check it out without having to go through all of the symbols to get a company profile.
Great stuff. I'm looking forward to it.

jasonhightower

Jan 2, 2017
I will always match my employer for my 401k, I just prefer to do a bulk of my investing on my own. Mine has limited options for investing. I say this because I've heard of people putting away like 10-12% a check to 401k when they could simply match their employer and use the rest to invest themselves and potentially get higher compounded returns.
Ah I gotcha. That's what I do too.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
What kind of "stop limit" do you guys put on your stocks?

Say you buy a share for $10 (for example), what's the most you will let it drop to before you take a loss on it?
Really all depends. If it's a volatile stock, I do 10% below my cost basis and look for 20-30% profit and get out. If it's a good company that happens to be priced low, I wait for the buy signal and put a 5% trailing stop, so I don't have to sit and watch it. I get in and out as I ride it to it's actual value price and then get out and put it back on watch to catch it when it's on sale again.

jasonhightower

Jan 2, 2017
We have a ton of fees too. If it wasn't for the match, I wouldn't even have one through work.
Yeah, I work in the 401(k) industry and am amazed at how many companies pass the fees to the participants. Some even break it down per capita, so those with a low to moderate balance get hammered.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I have 2 401K's. One is left over from an old job - it's Putnam. My current one is Fidelity.

Is it better to consolidate?

Or should I move the old 401k into something else?

jasonhightower

Jan 2, 2017
I have 2 401K's. One is left over from an old job - it's Putnam. My current one is Fidelity.

Is it better to consolidate?

Or should I move the old 401k into something else?
I would usually combine mine unless the one at Fidelity has high administrative fees passed on to your account and has limited investment options. If your's at Fidelity isn't too favorable, then I'd consider moving your old 401(k) to Fidelity as an IRA. This would allow you to at least manage them together under the Fidelity platform, and the IRA would likely give you some additional flexibility around future withdrawal options and a wider spectrum of potential investments to choose from.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
^That. I would roll it over to an IRA where you can invest it how you like while taking advantage of the tax deferment. Only thing is you can only contribute $5500/year to a traditional or Roth IRA

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
That brings me to a question I had about trading within an IRA, since I haven't done that. Say I have $5000 in my IRA and I invest all of it in company XYZ. XYZ is priced low and I get 100% gain. Does that $10k go into the IRA or does only $5500 and I have to keep the other $4500 in a taxable brokerage account?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Hauler @Alco Hauler AOBC is becoming oversold....as shown by the 14-day Stochastic dipping below the 20th percentile line. Expect a reversal soon.

jasonhightower

Jan 2, 2017
That brings me to a question I had about trading within an IRA, since I haven't done that. Say I have $5000 in my IRA and I invest all of it in company XYZ. XYZ is priced low and I get 100% gain. Does that $10k go into the IRA or does only $5500 and I have to keep the other $4500 in a taxable brokerage account?
I don't have an IRA, but I believe it all remains in the IRA.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
^That. I would roll it over to an IRA where you can invest it how you like while taking advantage of the tax deferment. Only thing is you can only contribute $5500/year to a traditional or Roth IRA
And aren't you DQ'd if you you make so much a year?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I keep a freezer bag in the freezer and add all my veggie scraps over time. Once the bag gets full I bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a while.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Hauler @Alco Hauler AOBC is becoming oversold....as shown by the 14-day Stochastic dipping below the 20th percentile line. Expect a reversal soon.

Brutal day. It's approaching a price low enough that I'm thinking about buying more and averaging down.

Down $0.41 (2.16%) today to $18.81
There's no way this should be a sub- $20 stock.

On a better note, PG blasted by $90 and hit its 52 week high.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yeah, I work in the 401(k) industry and am amazed at how many companies pass the fees to the participants. Some even break it down per capita, so those with a low to moderate balance get hammered.
Another reason I stay with the company that I work for. They pay all employee 401k fees plus match 6% and give us a % of profit sharing at year end.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Brutal day. It's approaching a price low enough that I'm thinking about buying more and averaging down.

Down $0.41 (2.16%) today to $18.81
There's no way this should be a sub- $20 stock.

On a better note, PG blasted by $90 and hit its 52 week high.
Yea. I have to look at my charts when I get home to see what it's doing. In technical theory, it should bounce soon.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
b00ts @the_b00ts

Do me a favor and run your synopsis on CSCO. Hit their 52 week high earlier today.