Michael McDonald: UFC uses bonuses ‘more like a weapon than a reward’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Michael McDonald had been with Zuffa for 6 years, before he eventually asked for his release last March. He had quite a few issues with the UFC, from low pay to “dishonest” business practices, which eventually made him want to move on and sign with Bellator.

As McDonald approaches his promotional debut this week, he mentioned that he prefers Bellator’s structure of not having fight night bonuses, but having higher — and guaranteed — base salaries.

“With the UFC’s bonus system and how it’s structured, if you win and you get a bonus you’re doing good, you’re comfortable in life. If you don’t win it, you’re starving,” he told MMA Fighting. “A lot of the guys in the UFC are at that place…

Michael McDonald: UFC uses bonuses ‘more like a weapon than a reward’

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
He says the UFC used bonus money as a way to leverage negotiations, telling fighters they can win $50k to $100k in bonuses each time out. Fuck that. If I'm a fighter, I want my earnings in base show money. I'm putting in the work and showing up to fight...pay me for it.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Thats what put Fitch out. Tried standing with Hendricks to get some bonuses, that went poorly

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Faber talked about not being "eligible" for bonuses because he negotiated higher show money. That's why I told LawFitz @LawFitz I wasn't sure about the idea of starting to give points for performance bonus winners. I'm sure there are more people like Faber and Iaquinta that we don't know about, and even they themselves may not know that they're "ineligible".

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
McDonald is starving because he tithes a stupid amount of money to his church.
I'm sure if he needed help they would pay his bills for him??

Oh wait they hide it all in a vault under the mountain and invest it it reptile stuff instead

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015

Oh wait they hide it all in a vault under the mountain and invest it it reptile stuff instead
they will give him this sweet merch instead

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
they will give him this sweet merch instead

Would still be stupid if they had to resort to it, but signing the shitty gifts they give you and pawning it may give some extra cash.

Would help it wasnt some design restricted to a square on every shirt, but hey, why not.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Well this threads going well.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Would still be stupid if they had to resort to it, but signing the shitty gifts they give you and pawning it may give some extra cash.

Would help it wasnt some design restricted to a square on every shirt, but hey, why not.
the joke was that the falcons did not win super Li so that is shitty merch destined to a 3rd world country.
=)

Weidman's right nut

Conservative to the bone
Jul 6, 2015
I have no stats to back this up but I believe it to be true.......most bonuses are won by fighters on the main card of any given event, meaning, in many situations, the fighters who need the bonus money the most don't get it and it goes to the higher paid guys on the cards

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I have no stats to back this up but I believe it to be true.......most bonuses are won by fighters on the main card of any given event, meaning, in many situations, the fighters who need the bonus money the most don't get it and it goes to the higher paid guys on the cards
No stats here either but it does seem like main card fighters are bonused more often.

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
the joke was that the falcons did not win super Li so that is shitty merch destined to a 3rd world country.
=)
Highly appreciate that explanation, due to not following ball sports that much. Would still argue a signed Falcon’s Super Bowl shirt would be great. I would personally love a Gilbert signed Giblert Jersey.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
@jeicex you have any stats on this?

C

Ceiling Fan

@jeicex you have any stats on this?
I do, and from these two pieces, Fight Facts: The Octagon Oddities and Interesting Info from UFC Fight Night Fresno | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum and Fight Facts: The Interesting Info and Octagon Oddities of UFN Sao Paulo | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum...

Almost three quarters of MEs have gotten at least one post-fight bonus this year. WAY more than any other spot on the card. I'll do an analysis of main card bonuses at the end of the year if there's a demand for it.