Mike Goldberg: The last six months of my professional life were ‘difficult’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The dawn of 2017 was quite rough for Mike Goldberg. After almost two decades of service, the long-time UFC play-by-play commentator was released from the company in early January, and the manner of which it was done was not appreciated by members of his family.

It only took five months for Goldie to get back on track, as he was signed by the UFC’s rival promotion company Bellator last week. He will be splitting broadcast duties with Mauro Ranallo, which will begin this Saturday at Bellator 180, the company’s debut event at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

But it was not all smooth sailing for Goldberg, particularly during the transition period between…

Mike Goldberg: The last six months were ‘difficult’

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Has he ever said why he was in the crowd of a UFC event after getting fired?

NHBStriker

Posting Machine
Sep 5, 2015
I cannot believe that he held onto his UFC job for as long as he did and he should just be grateful for the time he had there. So many of us watching couldn't stand hearing him.

I get why Bellator picked him up. It's not because he's good, it's because he is familiar to MMA fans, and having him chips away at the mindshare the UFC owns of being synonymous with MMA.

What I don't get is how sentimental people suddenly have gotten about him. I feel that we (for the most part) wanted him gone, so why do we want him back?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I cannot believe that he held onto his UFC job for as long as he did and he should just be grateful for the time he had there. So many of us watching couldn't stand hearing him.

I get why Bellator picked him up. It's not because he's good, it's because he is familiar to MMA fans, and having him chips away at the mindshare the UFC owns of being synonymous with MMA.

What I don't get is how sentimental people suddenly have gotten about him. I feel that we (for the most part) wanted him gone, so why do we want him back?
There definitely is a degree of rose-tinted nostalgia going on, but that's understandable seeing as WME is shitting the bed and we all want to return to better times.

But it's ridiculous to suggest that there was consensus hatred of Goldie. Rogan is actually the one that gives me the shits, but I always wanted to listen to the 'A-team' of him and Goldie over the Fight Night guys and lots of people were the same.

Goldie has a good commentary voice and that in itself is important. Fran Drescher could be the most articulate, brilliant MMA mind in history, but you aren't going to listen to that shit over the fights.

NHBStriker

Posting Machine
Sep 5, 2015
There definitely is a degree of rose-tinted nostalgia going on, but that's understandable seeing as WME is shitting the bed and we all want to return to better times.

But it's ridiculous to suggest that there was consensus hatred of Goldie. Rogan is actually the one that gives me the shits, but I always wanted to listen to the 'A-team' of him and Goldie over the Fight Night guys and lots of people were the same.

Goldie has a good commentary voice and that in itself is important. Fran Drescher could be the most articulate, brilliant MMA mind in history, but you aren't going to listen to that shit over the fights.
Thanks for your answer, but I really do think that there was at least near-consensus hatred of Goldberg, and that was for years straight. And there was near-consensus love for Rogan.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Goldie made a lot of mistakes and said/says a lot of dumb shit but I never disliked the guy. He's always just been the friendly goofball. Somehow, compared to his peers I also find him to be the most tolerable. Anik is forgettable. Mauro is just too over the top for my liking which creates a WWE feel. Schiavello can be really good but he's really over the top as well. Sean Grande was terrible. Kruck is like listening to paint dry. So for me, I'll take Goldie. He may lack in many areas but he's fun, doesn't take himself too seriously, and have a good voice that feels natural instead of a forced announcer voice.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
Thanks for your answer, but I really do think that there was at least near-consensus hatred of Goldberg, and that was for years straight. And there was near-consensus love for Rogan.
I agree that that was the feeling of the hive mind on Kirik's shithole. Lots of us were tired of Bro Rogan long ago and appreciated Goldie's talent, though. It just wasn't worth the hassle of arguing about it over there.

I think the concepts of 'fanboys' and 'haters' are juvenile and stupid. I don't think Mike Goldberg is perfect, but he and Mauro both bring far more positive than negative to MMA and I enjoy their work.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016

I remember a lot of people hated on him when he and Rohan were the only UFC commentators. His main comparisons were people like Mauro Renallo (who definitely knows his shit). I think it was when we got Anik and Florian and Brian Stann and all the FS1 B-teams that people started to appreciate Goldie more. Because his goofs aside, the dude had a lot of enthusiasm, and what's more he had excellent chemistry with Rogan. The kind of chemistry you only get by commentating with someone for a decade.

You could also say that people just got used to him, as he slowly got better at his job.

The real kicker is that it's not like WME managed to find someone better to replace him, and that's the truly baffling part. Hardcore fans might have found him irritating in like 2009 (I don't remember much in the way of outright hate), but by 2016 it seemed like he really only got shit for a few vapid catch phrases.

There was no reason to fire him. Even when it seemed like the UFC might have an ace up their sleeve, I didn't replacing him was a good idea (I said as much on this forum). In hindsight, replacing Goldie doesn't look like a "bad idea" so much as WME being both utterly fucking incompetent and total assholes as well.

Last edited:

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I remember a lot of people hated on him when he and Rohan were the only UFC commentators. His main comparisons were people like Mauro Renallo (who definitely knows his shit). I think it was when we got Anik and Florian and Brian Stann and all the FS1 B-teams that people started to appreciate Goldie more. Because his goofs aside, the dude had a lot of enthusiasm, and what's more he had excellent chemistry with Rogan. The kind of chemistry you only get by commentating with someone for a decade.

You could also say that people just got used to him, as he slowly got better at his job.

The real kicker is that it's not like WME managed to find someone better to replace him, and that's the truly baffling part. Hardcore fans might have found him irritating in like 2009 (I don't remember much in the way of outright hate), but by 2016 it seemed like he really only got shit for a few vapid catch phrases.

There was no reason to fire him. Even when it seemed like the UFC might have an ace up their sleeve, I didn't replacing him was a good idea (I said as much on this forum). In hindsight, replacing Goldie doesn't look like a "bad idea" so much as WME being both utterly fucking incompetent and total assholes as well.
I used to rip on him every broadcast for all the stupid segue he made and his wrong calls on fight action but you don't appreciate what you have till it's gone. After he left it turned out I missed the fuck out of his stupid mistakes, ridiculous responses and advertising segues that made no sense to the current situation.

Goldie has become one of the most recognizable voices in mma, to the point that if you see a meme with him in it you read it in his voice. I'm glad he's with bellator and if he leaves mma broadcasting I know Coker will give him the send off he deserves.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015

I think Goldie was perceived as one of those most retarded ones out of circle of friends.

He might be a retard, but our retard.

Not that Goldie is retarded.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Goldie made a lot of mistakes and said/says a lot of dumb shit but I never disliked the guy. He's always just been the friendly goofball. Somehow, compared to his peers I also find him to be the most tolerable. Anik is forgettable. Mauro is just too over the top for my liking which creates a WWE feel. Schiavello can be really good but he's really over the top as well. Sean Grande was terrible. Kruck is like listening to paint dry. So for me, I'll take Goldie. He may lack in many areas but he's fun, doesn't take himself too seriously, and have a good voice that feels natural instead of a forced announcer voice.
Perfectly said! He's a guy i'd love to have a beer with!