My poisoned genes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Last night was one of the most heart wrenching of my life. I almost came on to post about this in the early morning hours, but I was too overcome.

When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with epilepsy. It changed my life forever. I couldn't get a driver's license or box or kickbox or do full MMA sparring, all for fear that I could put myself at risk. I couldn't pull all nighters or drink too heavily without knowing there could be severe consequences. Sometimes I did it anyway, and usually I paid a price. This coming November will be 21 years since my first seizure and fortunately, it's largely been controlled by medication so usually if I have a seizure it's because I didn't take my medicine or screwed up in some other way.

But last night was the biggest screw up. My 5 year old daughter woke up suddenly in the middle of the night and began jerking uncontrollably, her eyes rolling into the back of her head. I recognized what was happening immediately and held her in my arms. She woke up some more and her leg was thrusting involuntarily and she began to cry. I told her it would be okay even though I knew it wouldn't. 3 minutes that seemed like 3 years passed and ended with her losing control of her bladder all over the bed. I carried her to the tub and cleaned her up, trying not to fall apart myself.

This is my worst nightmare, literally everything I always feared about having children and now I know I passed this curse on to one of them. I wish I'd been sterilized a long time ago.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Man, I'm very sorry to hear this. Keep your chin up, and at least your daughter has you.

Here's an e-hug

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I hope you are both doing good man, this is nobodies fault so don't beat yourself up about it. Over the next few years you will have to relay that message time and again when your daughter has insecurity about it. Teach her that it's not her fault, make her understand what's going on and put her in a position where she can recognize what's happening and help someone else in a time of need.

Don't beat yourself up about it you responded with action and control in a situation that would likely cause panic to most people. You did a great job under immense pressure.

You have nothing to feel bad about bro and I won't let you.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
All respect and all the best to you and your daughter, my friend. I'm sorry that this has happened, truly sorry. I have a 3 year old and for the life of me, don't know how I would react and frankly don't know if I would have had the composure to react and act in the ultimately hero way you did. There's nothing more inspiring than a father who is a man who can be there and perform like you did.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Man I don't suppose there's anything I can type that'll be of an comfort to you, but rest assured I'm thinking of you both.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
It's hard to type around this lump in my throat but,

It's clear epilepsy has marked your life profoundly and it will mark your daughter's, and that's heartbreaking. It's heartbreaking what you've gone through, what she had and will have to go through and what you had to see her go through.

But you know what epilepsy never did was prevent you from being an obviously righteous, brave, loving and present father. You know who was there for her when she had her terrifying experience? Her father. That legacy and sense of essential love and safety will shape your daughter so much, so much, more than an inherited affliction could.

Respect and good thoughts to you and yours.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
With the rate medicine is advancing I bet she will find a solution to make the condition hardly affect her life by the time she's 18.

BispingGatekeeper4Life

Aug 14, 2015
We're here for you man. Whenever you need to vent.

What I do know is that your daughter is glad you didn't get sterilised. Epilepsy may become a big part of her life, make sure you're a bigger part.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
It's hard to type around this lump in my throat but,

It's clear epilepsy has marked your life profoundly and it will mark your daughter's, and that's heartbreaking. It's heartbreaking what you've gone through, what she had and will have to go through and what you had to see her go through.

But you know what epilepsy never did was prevent you from being an obviously righteous, brave, loving and present father. You know who was there for her when she had her terrifying experience? Her father. That legacy and sense of essential love and safety will shape your daughter so much, so much, more than an inherited affliction could.

Respect and good thoughts to you and yours.
This. Read it over again and again. It's the truth kneeblock @Kneeblock