General Norway to open a doomsday vault to preserve World's books

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Second doomsday vault set up in an abandoned coal mine in Norwegian Arctic will store world's most precious books in digital form to protect them from the apocalypse.

vault,officially known as the World Arctic Archive, shares the same mountain as the Global Seed Vault in Svalbard. Alongside Norwegian government , representatives of Brazil's and Mexico's National Archives will be the first to save copies of their files deep inside the permafrost.

The World Arctic Archive is run by Piql, a company based in the Norwegian city of Drammen with only 17 employees. Piql has developed a technology that allows old-fashioned photosensitive films to store larger amounts of data in multiple layers in analog form. The film is designed to withstand a lot of wear and tear. Piql’s Katrine Loen Thomsen says:

We believe that we can save the data using our technology for a whole 1,000 years. It's digital data preserved, written onto photosensitive film. So we write data as basically big QR codes on films.

The entire archive will be located in Mine 3, a former coal mine which was abandoned more than two decades back. Conditions inside the mine are very stable and are not affected by the change of seasons. Owing to permafrost, the temperature inside the mines hovers always below zero degree Celsius. Svalbard is is also a very safe place for the archive to be kept, because it is effectively a demilitarized zone.

The underground seed depository was opened in 2008 and acts as a master backup to the other seed banks around the world. Approximately 1.5 million distinct seed samples of agricultural crops are thought to exist in the vault.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Some people get paid to think of ideas like this? Must have been a slow work day when someone agreed to fund this.

i am, yet again, in the wrong job.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I think it is a good thing. Everything goes on a cloud, up in the air, and we hang on the ability to access what we "own". We depend on that we have the freedom to access our own belongings, while we see the fragile nature of such a mindset.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If there's ever a nuclear holocaust and I survive, I'm going to make it my mission to seek out this vault and petrol bomb it. Just because I'm a fucker.

Hopefully get some hot raider snatch on the way there too