Straight Edge Razor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
I recently ditched the Gillette Fusions as I was pissed off with paying £4 per cartridge.

Bought a DE Safety Razor and some Astra Super Platinum Razor Blades and a Badger Hair Brush. The Razor itself can last decades, the brush 10 years and should get a year or 2 out of the soap and the blades will last me 3 years. It cost £60 quid for the lot and I won't need to spend a penny further for the next 2 years. The blades work out at 10p a blade, compared to £4 for a replacement cartridge.

Theres a bit of a learning curve and I've cut myself a bit learning it. I'm starting to get my technique down and I rarely cut myself now. Also I'm blown away by how good the damn thing shaves, its way better than a Fusion despite only using one blade - the 3,4,5,6 blade thing is bullshit marketing.

Now that I've started Double Edge shaving I'm beginning to wonder what a Straight Razor would be like. One Razor that lasts a lifetime and needs no blade replacements. I've heard the learning curve is steep but its the best shave you can get.

So any Straight Razor users here?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Wrong forearm arsehole :p

Coast

Oct 18, 2017
ah FFS. Move please! Could have sworn I was just reading some bullshit in off topic!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I recently ditched the Gillette Fusions as I was pissed off with paying £4 per cartridge.

Bought a DE Safety Razor and some Astra Super Platinum Razor Blades and a Badger Hair Brush. The Razor itself can last decades, the brush 10 years and should get a year or 2 out of the soap and the blades will last me 3 years. It cost £60 quid for the lot and I won't need to spend a penny further for the next 2 years. The blades work out at 10p a blade, compared to £4 for a replacement cartridge.

Theres a bit of a learning curve and I've cut myself a bit learning it. I'm starting to get my technique down and I rarely cut myself now. Also I'm blown away by how good the damn thing shaves, its way better than a Fusion despite only using one blade - the 3,4,5,6 blade thing is bullshit marketing.

Now that I've started Double Edge shaving I'm beginning to wonder what a Straight Razor would be like. One Razor that lasts a lifetime and needs no blade replacements. I've heard the learning curve is steep but its the best shave you can get.

So any Straight Razor users here?
I just made these switch a month ago. I got a Merkur with the same blades and I love it. Fuck paying the for multiple blades.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
My wife bought me a straight razor and safety razor a few years ago.

Safety razors are great if you shave every day and don’t shave your head. I shaved a few times with the straight razor and it works great but takes longer, you can cut the ever living fuck out of your face with one small twitch and there’s upkeep in keeping it in proper working order. Because I shave my head and face I have to keep buying other razors anyway so I gave up.

If you want to learn there’s lots of great videos on YouTube.

Coast

Oct 18, 2017
I just made these switch a month ago. I got a Merkur with the same blades and I love it. Fuck paying the for multiple blades.
I got a Merkur 34C, looks a lot more classy than the plastic handle vibrating POS I had prior to it, what even is the point of a vibrating razor?

Do you use traditional soap and brush as well?

You’ll always be remembered as the only person to ever to start a thread in the wrong forum
The shame :(

My wife bought me a straight razor and safety razor a few years ago.

Safety razors are great if you shave every day and don’t shave your head. I shaved a few times with the straight razor and it works great but takes longer, you can cut the ever living fuck out of your face with one small twitch and there’s upkeep in keeping it in proper working order. Because I shave my head and face I have to keep buying other razors anyway so I gave up.

If you want to learn there’s lots of great videos on YouTube.
I've already cut the living fuck out of my face on New Years Eve. Lesson learned, don't rush when you are starting out.

I think I'll perfect the safety razor before I consider the Straight though, also I've got a young daughter and I'd be nervous about keeping it about the bathroom. I could lock it up, but then I'm getting into the realm of a lot of fuck on for shave.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I got a Merkur 34C, looks a lot more classy than the plastic handle vibrating POS I had prior to it, what even is the point of a vibrating razor?

Do you use traditional soap and brush as well?

The shame :(

I've already cut the living fuck out of my face on New Years Eve. Lesson learned, don't rush when you are starting out.

I think I'll perfect the safety razor before I consider the Straight though, also I've got a young daughter and I'd be nervous about keeping it about the bathroom. I could lock it up, but then I'm getting into the realm of a lot of fuck on for shave.
My wife surprised me with a badger fur brush and I picked up some Proraso shaving cream. I have a beard right now but I clean up my neck and cheek bones with extreme precision now ;)

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Merkur safety razor here, brush and soap. Fuck paying a fortune for a lesser shave.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I too have the merk 34c. I liked using it when I got it, but after a year and a half I went back to the triple blades since they are just faster. Really odd switching back at first since they are so light, cheap feeling, and the handles are tiny.

Coast

Oct 18, 2017
I too have the merk 34c. I liked using it when I got it, but after a year and a half I went back to the triple blades since they are just faster. Really odd switching back at first since they are so light, cheap feeling, and the handles are tiny.
I haven't thrown my Fusion out, I think I have one spare blade left.

There is definitely a place in the bathroom for those cartridge types of razor, like when your in a rush. Although once the Gillette cartridge is used up I'll probably buy some decent disposables for when I'm short on time or travelling.

What I've found in the couple of weeks I've been using the Merkur, brush and soap is that I enjoy the process a lot more than before - its somehow more relaxing.

Another thing I've noticed is that the technology in the cartridges have kind of killed the art of shaving, even when rush your shave its pretty hard

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015

There is definitely a place in the bathroom for those cartridge types of razor, like when your in a rush. Although once the Gillette cartridge is used up I'll probably buy some decent disposables for when I'm short on time or travelling.

What I've found in the couple of weeks I've been using the Merkur, brush and soap is that I enjoy the process a lot more than before - its somehow more relaxing.
Just make time for it. Making time for shit is a mircale of itself.

Coast

Oct 18, 2017
Just make time for it. Making time for shit is a mircale of itself.
Yeah, I try to.

One thing I've noticed is the technology in cartridge razors have advanced so much that even in rush its very hard to cut yourself with one. Its like the art of shaving has been eliminated.

Thats another reason I'm enjoying the safety razor, it feels like your learning/rediscovering a lost skill.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

Another thing I've noticed is that the technology in the cartridges have kind of killed the art of shaving, even when rush your shave its pretty hard
I liked the experience of the process, initially, but after a while I just wanted a fast shave again. There is nothing enjoyable about shaving, it's more of a chore, therefore, give me the fast and simple way.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I retired the jaws of death years ago.

Can you still get blades for those things?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Yeah, I try to.

One thing I've noticed is the technology in cartridge razors have advanced so much that even in rush its very hard to cut yourself with one. Its like the art of shaving has been eliminated.

Thats another reason I'm enjoying the safety razor, it feels like your learning/rediscovering a lost skill.
Yes. It's about taking time in your morning routine. Just taking five minutes more can bring you peace, before the day starts. Once learned these razors are the shit, and are actually better. Maybe if you have a heave heavy beard, than I would agree the throw aways are better. It's more ceremonial. I know it sounds gay but it's really not.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Fuck yeah. Thanks to the hipsters out there.
The folks at Wilkinson Sword must thank the heavens for hipsters every day.

By the way, I found a place that still carries Mennen Skin Bracer after shave again. Yep. The green stuff!

Coast

Oct 18, 2017
I liked the experience of the process, initially, but after a while I just wanted a fast shave again. There is nothing enjoyable about shaving, it's more of a chore, therefore, give me the fast and simple way.
Something I've noticed is that my skin feels way better with safety, brush, soap. Maybe its because ever pass with a fusion is actually 5 passes.

Yes. It's about taking time in your morning routine. Just taking five minutes more can bring you peace, before the day starts. Once learned these razors are the shit, and are actually better. Maybe if you have a heave heavy beard, than I would agree the throw aways are better. It's more ceremonial. I know it sounds gay but it's really not.
No I get you, the process is way more enjoyable with a safety. I guess I have a medium but dense stubble. I was surprised how easily one blade cut through it, I think because when I was younger I used the single blade Bic disposables and they used to tug like fuck. But one pass with safety is as good as one pass with the Fusion, which as I said above is actually 5 passes.

It's ridiculous how good Gillette marketing has been. We've been led to believe that vibrating handles with multiple blades and lubricating stripes promoted by the likes of Beckham are the "Best a man can get".

It's bullshit. You need a safety razor, brush and soap.

I retired the jaws of death years ago.

Can you still get blades for those things?
They are enjoying a resurgence in popularity at the moment. I guess people are becoming pissed off with paying £3-4 for a cartridge.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
No I get you, the process is way more enjoyable with a safety. I guess I have a medium but dense stubble. I was surprised how easily one blade cut through it, I think because when I was younger I used the single blade Bic disposables and they used to tug like fuck. But one pass with safety is as good as one pass with the Fusion, which as I said above is actually 5 passes.

It's ridiculous how good Gillette marketing has been. We've been led to believe that vibrating handles with multiple blades and lubricating stripes promoted by the likes of Beckham are the "Best a man can get".

It's bullshit. You need a safety razor, brush and soap.
It's also bad for your skin so many blades. Just don't press down when you use a safety razor. Let the german steel do the talin' (Somehow it's always kruat steel, don't ask me).