General Take a Picture of Your Bookshelf

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Priziesthorse @Priziesthorse where you at you nerd ass library clown?!?
I'd be more inclined to show you a pic of my cock and balls.

Here are 5 I pulled out that I consider essential reading for men with arms 18" and up. The bottom two can't be fully appreciated without some type of guide.

Also, a bad motherfucker from NJ like Philip Roth deserves better than to have one of his novels placed next to a novel of a Canadian writer. Please move immediately. Thanks for understanding.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I'd be more inclined to show you a pic of my cock and balls.

Here are 5 I pulled out that I consider essential reading for men with arms 18" and up. The bottom two can't be fully appreciated without some type of guide.

Also, a bad motherfucker from NJ like Philip Roth deserves better than to have one of his novels placed next to a novel of a Canadian writer. Please move immediately. Thanks for understanding.
White Noise is one of my favourite books. The only other Dellilo I've read are Underworld and Endzone.

I've never read any Maugham but I have Razor's edge in my bookshelf right now, it's been in line for a year now though.

I've never read any PK Dick. When I was a kid I went through a sci-fi phase but I stopped reading it and never really got back into it.

I'm glad you said that about the Pynchon, I read Gravity's Rainbow about 20 years ago. I was young and just moved to the city so I had a weird job where I was working two different shifts at a bullshit company that was an 1 1/2 subway ride from my appartment. I ended up being on the subway for 6 hours a day, and I read it then. I enjoyed the writing but got lost to the plot. At first I kept going back and rereading trying to keep straight all the different military divisions and characters]. Eventually I thought it probably didn't matter and it would make sense without getting a handle on every different plot line, and I plowed through. I finished the book and realized I had no idea what had just happened or what any of it meant. I felt like either it was purposefully, absurdly complex as an exercise, or that I was too dumb for Pyncho. I was glad I read it, and liked his writing as paragraphs but figured Pynchon wasn't for me. Now I see so many people name checking it as a favourite book, I went back and started to re-read it in the summer, and it was the same, I liked the writing, but I couldn't keep the plot or characters straight.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
White Noise is one of my favourite books. The only other Dellilo I've read are Underworld and Endzone.

I've never read any Maugham but I have Razor's edge in my bookshelf right now, it's been in line for a year now though.

I've never read any PK Dick. When I was a kid I went through a sci-fi phase but I stopped reading it and never really got back into it.

I'm glad you said that about the Pynchon, I read Gravity's Rainbow about 20 years ago. I was young and just moved to the city so I had a weird job where I was working two different shifts at a bullshit company that was an 1 1/2 subway ride from my appartment. I ended up being on the subway for 6 hours a day, and I read it then. I enjoyed the writing but got lost to the plot. At first I kept going back and rereading trying to keep straight all the different military divisions and characters]. Eventually I thought it probably didn't matter and it would make sense without getting a handle on every different plot line, and I plowed through. I finished the book and realized I had no idea what had just happened or what any of it meant. I felt like either it was purposefully, absurdly complex as an exercise, or that I was too dumb for Pyncho. I was glad I read it, and liked his writing as paragraphs but figured Pynchon wasn't for me. Now I see so many people name checking it as a favourite book, I went back and started to re-read it in the summer, and it was the same, I liked the writing, but I couldn't keep the plot or characters straight.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
or that I was too dumb for Pynchon.
We all are.

I read it with a guide and wrote down all the characters on index cards to help me keep track. You should check out this literature phd student's youtube page The_Bookchemist if you ever decide to give it a go again or if you're looking for reviews/recommendations of other novels. He recently started making videos breaking down every 100 pages of GR.

Mason & Dixon's plot is easier to follow but the use of 18th century grammar and syntax is whole different animal.