The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Phuckles

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Oct 24, 2015
All comes down to using lures at certain times of day. Sometimes the fish just aren't biting.

From what I've learned using proper lures in overcast or sunny conditions will increase your success.
Although this is what I have been told. Im a terrible fresh water fisherman. Open ocean I am a slayer of fish!

Edit: also was informed to learn what fish like to eat/what insects are present in the area you are fishing worms/flies etc
Selecting Lure Colors for Successful Fishing
p
All comes down to using lures at certain times of day. Sometimes the fish just aren't biting.

From what I've learned using proper lures in overcast or sunny conditions will increase your success.
Although this is what I have been told. Im a terrible fresh water fisherman. Open ocean I am a slayer of fish!

Edit: also was informed to learn what fish like to eat/what insects are present in the area you are fishing worms/flies etc
Selecting Lure Colors for Successful Fishing
Pretty sure he meant fly fishing.

Kelly, look at TFO. They make a great entry level rod/reel combo (outfit). Comes ready to go. Next you need leaders and tippet. Then you need to know what bugs (flies) to use for your waters. Where are you planning on fishing?

Phuckles

Oct 24, 2015
Makes sense. Barbed trebles can be a bitch if the fish gets a good mouth on it. I've had to cut the barb off to get the hook out on occasion.
Try burying a treble hook deep in your arm. Holy fuck that was bad. I have video, I'll have to post it sometime. It involves rusty pliers and a needle with numbing shit in it. It was fucking brutal.

Phuckles

Oct 24, 2015
???

I'm going to be honest here. I didn't even know they made barbless hooks. Do you lose many fish using barbless? I assume this is for making it easier - on both fish and fisherman - to remove the hook?
you can use forceps/pliers to crimp your barbs.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Happened to me in Canada when I was 16 or so. Ended up pushing the barb through then cutting it with the wire clippers on the needle nose pliers. Good times for sure.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Oh venison is an incredible meat, I had some that was lightly seared in duck fat then served with mash and peppercorn sauce. Very similar to the human flesh my ancestors subsisted on, pork is a little closer though according to oral tradition.
Pork is closer.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Not the greatest video, but you get the point. The thing was buried in my arm.

View: https://youtu.be/siCqyTaz3G0
Done it twice homie. Both times fishing largemouth with Rapala plugs. Went to land them and they flopped perfectly, threw the treble hook completely and it set in my hand. Luckily both times, only one of the hooks went all the way thru to the barb. Standard operating procedure...cut the hook with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Not fun.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Try burying a treble hook deep in your arm. Holy fuck that was bad. I have video, I'll have to post it sometime. It involves rusty pliers and a needle with numbing shit in it. It was fucking brutal.
I've hooked myself. Not as deep as you did though. Ouch. Mine was on the webbing on my thumb - it went all the way through. I just cut the barb off and fed it back through.

Phuckles

Oct 24, 2015
I've hooked myself. Not as deep as you did though. Ouch. Mine was on the webbing on my thumb - it went all the way through. I just cut the barb off and fed it back through.
the video shows one of two hooks removed. Notice the bloody spot near the hook. I yanked that one out. The other one was way, way in there.

Phuckles

Oct 24, 2015
How the hell did you get that thing buried that deep dude???
Casting across a river. Caught a willow on the other side. I yanked back and it flew back at me like a slingshot. Slapped right into my arm. Tue hook buried itself deep. Fucking ouch.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Casting across a river. Caught a willow on the other side. I yanked back and it flew back at me like a slingshot. Slapped right into my arm. Tue hook buried itself deep. Fucking ouch.
Brutal. Never seen one bury itself that deep.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
How many beers deep?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
This thread kind of stalled out, so I'll add a couple pictures I took today during a short hike on the Appalachian Trail. I already posted them on the current pic thread, but I figured I'd toss them up here too.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Woke up at the butt crack of dawn this morning and drove east for a few hours. Found my campsite, and was greated by this happy little brick.

It's gonna be a good day. :)

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I'm the first one here so I decided to chill out for a minute and have a morning beer while sitting on the back of my tailgate. It's incredibly peaceful here - just the sounds of a few cicadas and the occasional sound of leaves hitting the ground, and then I heard some rustling in the woods. A huge buck came out of the clearing - maybe 40 yards away. I didn't want to move and startle him so I just observed. Pretty awesome.

After about a minute I went to grab my phone and snag a pic for you fucks and he looked up at me and darted off into the woods. Haha.

Now there is a turkey off in the distance going crazy. Might go check that out.....

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
With any luck I will be uploading a pic of a softly flowing creek in about 4 or 5 hours. Just need to give one more facility tour and my ass is gonna be gone as soon as I can get out of here. I'm so done with this work week. Need me some nature.

Treadstone06

I got 2 words for ya...
Apr 20, 2015
Fantastic thread. I'll try and look up some of my old pictures this weekend and throw some up here.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I've seen this thread pop up a few times, but haven't had much of a chance to go through until now. Good stuff, and good idea for a thread. I'll try to contribute some pics when I get a chance. I work out on some cool ranch land here in central Texas. I am fortunate to have some pretty cool nature experiences because of my job. I do lots of spelunking, and also lots of work with the hydrogeology of springs that discharge from the Edwards Aquifer. With the crazy rain we've had this year the springs are cranking!

Cheers Hauler @Alco Hauler, cool thread

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Sorry bros. The creek was dry. They must not have had rain here in a while because it's usually got a nice flow to it. Luckily I brought my own water source. Beer has water in it, right? :)

Already fished for a bit. Caught a bass and 2 Bluegill who both overestimated the size of their mouths based on the crankbait they tried to eat.

Nobody is due to show up here for a couple hours. Gonna sip on some beers, chill in my hamoc and listen to the wind whip through the tree tops.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Sorry bros. The creek was dry. They must not have had rain here in a while because it's usually got a nice flow to it. Luckily I brought my own water source. Beer has water in it, right? :)

Already fished for a bit. Caught a bass and 2 Bluegill who both overestimated the size of their mouths based on the crankbait they tried to eat.

Nobody is due to show up here for a couple hours. Gonna sip on some beers, chill in my hamoc and listen to the wind whip through the tree tops.

What you do is you take whatever the alcohol percentage is shown on the beer and minus that figure from 100, the remaining number is the percentage amount of water youre drinking.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Now I'm drunk and in a hamoc. Let's see how this goes.