The Legacy of Showtime

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
You know, the more you really sit and think about what Jones has done, who he has done it to and how. It really gets more impressive. People may hate his personality. But for YEARS LHW was considered the most stacked division... Other than Lyoto "defending" his title the first time against Shogun, every champ dating back to 2007 had won the belt and been unable to defend even once, except for Rampage's win over Hendo when he unified the titles.

Jones single handily wiped out a division filled with KILLERS.. It's nuts.

I do worry about guys like him - super gifted, freak athletes.. Usually, they don't have to work AS hard as someone who is not the greatest athlete, but has put in years of skill and technique training. Jones' athletic genetic gifts (obviously he has em, look at his family) literally allow him to do coke, train half assed, and STILL go in and make the elite of the elite look amateur.

That's why I worry though. It's very possible that, like so many other young phenoms (Tyson anyone?), Jones could end up going off the rails with drugs, money problems, etc. I am NOT saying he doesn't work hard. Just saying that he is so amazing and talented, now that he is at this high of a level. He almost doesn't HAVE to work as hard as a guy like Glover... yet Glover can work harder than he ever has, and Jones will still destroy him.

Even for the Gus fight, rumors were that Jones barely trained at all.. Still pulled out the win.

If Jones destroys AJ.. that's another huge mark on his resume considering how great AJ has been of late. Of course.. if he does.. You will see haters saying "Johnson was never any good, Jones beat up a blown up welterweight, he's a joke, he can only beat MW guys and overblown WWs".. I can already see it now.

AJ is the ONE guy Jones better worry about though. If he slips for a half second in that fight.. That power is not something to be fucked with. I think Jones will end up training his ass off for that one and probably look better than ever. He'll go in with a point to prove, I feel, after the whole scandal.

Can't wait for that fight. Imagine if that entire card plays out the way it's set up? JONES VS AJ.. with WEIDMAN VS BELFORT? FUCK! I pray to godddd that one happens! That plus May vs Pac in the same month... JUST TAKE MY MONEY PPV COMPANIES!!! TAKE IT ALL

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Great post Γαλάνης @Galanis. Can't wait for Jones/Rumble either. And you're right...one slip up and Jones will wake up wondering WTF happened. My one concern for Johnson is that Jones is able to grind up against the cage, wear him out, get a takedown and eventually submit him. Hope not though...would love to see AJ win that strap.

nni

Jan 21, 2015
Galanis, you really think JJ trains "half-assed"?

He may be athletically gifted, but has some of the best fighting instincts I've seen. And the way he has improved his striking means he has to be putting in a lot of work in the gym. I don't think you're giving him enough credit.

As far as the coke thing, I don't think it's a big deal. He is probably a lot healthier than guys like Hendricks, who balloon in between fights. He always seems in good shape, even when not in camp.

Not wanting to diminish his accomplishments at LHW, he actually came into the division when it was at a pretty low point. It had a lot of "big names" that were on the downward stage of their careers, including Shogun, Rampage, Rashad and even Glover. Credit to him, he could only fight who they put in front of him and he did beat them all. But now that he has beaten Gustaffson and DC, if he gets past AJ he will have beaten every single top LHW in the division.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
No, I definitely don't. Apologies. I was throwing that term around, not in a literal sense. I know he trains relentlessly.

Still though, the rumor was he trained 3 weeks for the Gus fight.. But, champions have done this. Hughes trained 2 weeks for the Sherk fight and beat his ass too. The fact Jones was doing coke DURING the DC camp suggests problems, but it wouldn't mean he is not training hard.

Again, I shouldn't have said that because I definitely don't think Jones is half assing/not putting in an effort in the gym. I was trying to emphasize that someone as good as him, who picked the game up SO fast despite only having a basic ammy wrestling background, is a once in a life time freak athlete.. Just amazing.

Sorry if I am not explaining/getting this off right. Trust me, I know Jones is a monster in every way

wiggum

Feb 22, 2015
No, I definitely don't. Apologies. I was throwing that term around, not in a literal sense. I know he trains relentlessly.

Still though, the rumor was he trained 3 weeks for the Gus fight.. But, champions have done this. Hughes trained 2 weeks for the Sherk fight and beat his ass too. The fact Jones was doing coke DURING the DC camp suggests problems, but it wouldn't mean he is not training hard.

Again, I shouldn't have said that because I definitely don't think Jones is half assing/not putting in an effort in the gym. I was trying to emphasize that someone as good as him, who picked the game up SO fast despite only having a basic ammy wrestling background, is a once in a life time freak athlete.. Just amazing.

Sorry if I am not explaining/getting this off right. Trust me, I know Jones is a monster in every way
Based on his conditioning and constant improvement, it seems JBJ clearly trains hard. What it seems like he doesn't do is live a clean, healthy lifestyle. They both matter, but they are different things.