UFC 288 Live Discussion - Sat 5/6/23

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Added to Calendar: 05-06-23

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
How can anyone even take Michael Jackson seriously? Looking like that, dressed like that, high pitched voice, tattoos of 69? Fuck that guy.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
I had it 3-2 Cejudo. Not a huge fan of either guy, but coming back after three years and taking the champion to a split decision? Gotta respect it.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
So the UFC is just allowing fighters to take off gloves without the athletic commission inspecting them first now? Anyone can do it? No fines, no suspensions? Unreal.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
So the UFC is just allowing fighters to take off gloves without the athletic commission inspecting them first now? Anyone can do it? No fines, no suspensions? Unreal.
weren't they inspected as they were put on and hands were wrapped?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The problem for me is that Sterling will exchange only for a brief second, then shoot a takedown and get stuffed leaving his head and body wide open but then eventually get up

He never really throws down, he uses the rules to stay safe...and when he got caught with a single knee vs Yan he acted like he could no longer fight and wanted the DQ win

It isn't proper behavior for the fighting spirit and many fans see it for exactly that

He is very talented but that loophole makes him look bad, the more he utilizes it

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Me boy lost tonight, but he always shows the fuck up

all respect to Gilbert, go get them and keep on going out there, much respect to him

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Only the athletic commission can take the gloves off and inspect them after the fight to assure they were not tampered with. Same with the hand wraps/tape.
I worked for an athletic commission for several years and also boxed professionally for years and so forth. Respectfully, commissions do not remove gloves or wraps and I have never seen them inspect them post fight. I have either fought or been a judge or an inspector or have worked a corner in multiple states in the US, including all the largest states except for New York.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I worked for an athletic commission for several years and also boxed professionally for years and so forth. Respectfully, commissions do not remove gloves or wraps and I have never seen them inspect them post fight. I have either fought or been a judge or an inspector or have worked a corner in multiple states in the US, including all the largest states except for New York.
My information was from this (time stamped)

View: https://youtu.be/qbDj8UE-OgU?t=124

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
My information was from this (time stamped)

View: https://youtu.be/qbDj8UE-OgU?t=124
I did the job of inspector for years. Huge cards included. What he described never once occurred. Not saying it’s never happened. Just saying I’ve been involved in way over 100 pro fight shows and never seen it.

I was there when that dirty cheat Antonio Margarito fought Pacquiao and no one did any of that with their gloves or handwraps and Margarito was a strongly suspected cheater by that time.

Last edited:

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
lots of talk about judge cleary robbing cejudo by giving sterling round 5

henry had great hands and speed in his prime. its over. time to retire

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
lots of talk about judge cleary robbing cejudo by giving sterling round 5

henry had great hands and speed in his prime. its over. time to retire
Honestly he did rob him...Judging the whole fight I can see Sterling winning but if you judge rounds I don't see him getting Rd 5.

Aljo didn't earn round 5 and in Jason's post above it looks like Cleary's 5th round is the difference

Would like to hear him explain himself

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
I thought cejudo won, but I hate both of them so it didn't really bother me