UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs. Poirier Discussion - 9/17/16

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
haha..remember how mike says he was the unofficial champion of strike force cuz he best luke in practice lol...Practice is totally different BUT in Mike's case it played out both ways vs Luke
That was a smoker. It's pretty well known.

Both of the last two fights looked like nothing substantial landed after the knockdown. (edit, watched it again and Poirer got blasted on the follow up so I'm wrong on that one) What's the point of this sport if the ref stops it as soon as someone's ass hits the dirt from a knockdown? It makes the sport look stupid.
Fighters get hit and knocked down but they should get a chance to get back in the fight or it should be up to their opponent to put an exclamation point on their dominance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Both of the last two fights looked like nothing substantial landed after the knockdown. What's the point of this sport if the ref stops it as soon as someone's ass hits the dirt from a knockdown? It makes the sport look stupid.
Fighters get hit and knocked down but they should get a chance to get back in the fight or it should be up to their opponent to put an exclamation point on their dominance.
I don't know if I would classify either as a typical knockdown. Both dropped stiff without breaking their fall. To me dropping a fighter like that IS the exclamation point.

I don't know if I would classify either as a typical knockdown. Both dropped stiff without breaking their fall. To me dropping a fighter like that IS the exclamation point.
Well that's my point, let's just call the fight after such a knockdown then.
Why bother with anything else if all it takes to get the ref to stop it is a bunch of shots that hit arms and shoulders? There's no point in pretending, is there?
edit- okay Poirer definitely got hit with a very solid follow-up shot- bad call on my part.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Well that's my point, let's just call the fight after such a knockdown then.
Why bother with anything else if all it takes to get the ref to stop it is a bunch of shots that hit arms and shoulders? There's no point in pretending, is there?
edit- okay Poirer definitely got hit with a very solid follow-up shot- bad call on my part.
I see your point but that's just the sport. There's too many variables to have clear cut calls.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You're right but that one left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I think it's because he walked around first before going back and celebrating over his unconscious opponent. No biggie really I just don't care for that aspect of it. .
was very Tito Ortiz of him....He was just seeing dollar signs and had a lot of fight/adrenaline left in him because that ended so early

I see your point but that's just the sport. There's too many variables to have clear cut calls.
I like this site because we can disagree amicably without the need to prove our point. I can say my piece but still see your perspective.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
The Poirier stoppage was correct.
The Hall stoppage should have been allowed to continue because Brunson was missing with those attempted strikes on the ground.

Herb Dean is getting too old for this shit.