What Do Gi Colors Mean?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
If you're in the Black Belt Open Championship, you're wearing a white or a blue gi.
Not due to regulation, no.

anyone who medals in their age/weight at black belt can enter the Open.
Not really, no.

if you didn't win the Black Belt Open, you won a lesser medal.
Again, not true. This is like saying "No Olympic wrestling medals are real medals because they're only beating the people in their own weight class."

again - black gis are a lifestyle choice. There's no requirement to have one, a blue gi will meet the requirement for any belt/weight/age division.
and again. Someone could say the same thing of blue gis.

i don't wear outfits to grapple.
Yes, you do. You're just a hipster so you pretend your costume is better than other people's.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Not due to regulation, no.

Not really, no.

Again, not true. This is like saying "No Olympic wrestling medals are real medals because they're only beating the people in their own weight class."

and again. Someone could say the same thing of blue gis.

Yes, you do. You're just a hipster so you pretend your costume is better than other people's.
No, you have to wear a blue or white gi to compete for a black belt medal at IBJJF Worlds. You can wear your black gi all week, but when you step on to the mat in the finals, you'll be wearing white or blue.

Yes, anyone who medals in their age/weight can enter their respective Open.

Olympic Wrestling is different. They don't have Open because the 125lb champion isn't doing shit to the 225 lb champion. IBJJF can have an Open because of the ridiculous spread in talent across weight divisions. It's a testament to how immature sport BJJ is...I've literally had this conversation with Gordon Ryan. I don't agree with him on everything, but we see eye-to-eye on the subject.

Again, if you want to call your Fargo Open Blue Belt medal a 'championship'...well, you can make words mean anything.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
No, you have to wear a blue or white gi to compete for a black belt medal at IBJJF Worlds. You can wear your black gi all week, but when you step on to the mat in the finals, you'll be wearing white or blue.
I repeat. That is not due to a rule.

Yes, anyone who medals in their age/weight can enter their respective Open.
I misunderstood as in your previous post you referred to open as a singular.

They don't have Open because the 125lb champion isn't doing shit to the 225 lb champion.
Same thing in BJJ.

Again, if you want to call your Fargo Open Blue Belt medal a 'championship'...well, you can make words mean anything.
"A real Scotsman eats oatmeal for breakfast!!!!"

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
BeardOfKnowledge @BeardOfKnowledge (Admin)

Yeah, it's a rule. At Worlds Black Belt Open, regardless of age, you're wearing a blue or white. Maybe they changed it recently?

they don't have age divisions in Olympic Wrestling, that's why I made the weight distinction.

and I get it, you win your local medal and you put it all over FB that you're a Champion. You get all the likes, you get all the Lifestyle Feels.

that's why you paid the entrance fee and didn't tap to that heel hook that's going to make your knee swell up every time it rains for the rest of your life. You are a 'champion'.

same way I'm a champion wrestler because I won a couple tournaments in podunk Iowa when I was 8.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
At Worlds Black Belt Open, regardless of age, you're wearing a blue or white. Maybe they changed it recently?
It changed a few years ago when they decided to ditch the green/yellow belt for stuff they were trying to make money on.

they don't have age divisions in Olympic Wrestling, that's why I made the weight distinction.

and I get it, you win your local medal and you put it all over FB that you're a Champion. You get all the likes, you get all the Lifestyle Feels.

that's why you paid the entrance fee and didn't tap to that heel hook that's going to make your knee swell up every time it rains for the rest of your life. You are a 'champion'.

same way I'm a champion wrestler because I won a couple tournaments in podunk Iowa when I was 8.
Okay?..

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
is he wearing a black gi now?

i think i mentioned that if you're a black belt world champ, you can wear whatever you want.
Well you may be onto something because Renzo wears one a lot and he's in the past few years exposed himself as an absolute tool.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well you may be onto something because Renzo wears one a lot and he's in the past few years exposed himself as an absolute tool.
i don't keep up on The Lifestyle (tm). I've never met Renzo, but I know a bunch of his guys and very few are relative tools, and I don't know any [tools]. In fairness, Renzo's dad is a World-Class Tool, according to everyone I know who's met him, and I used to think Ralph was just misunderstood and "old school".

But I lost all of my respect for Ralph over the Kurt Osiander situation, that's the kind of Tool-ness that can't be taught. You're just born with it.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I just remembered that Robson was the one that gave a black belt to Bolsonaro a couple years ago.

that much Tool-ocity broke the needle on my Toolometer.

they should both be required to exclusively wear a Black Gi.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
i don't keep up on The Lifestyle (tm). I've never met Renzo, but I know a bunch of his guys and very few are relative tools, and I don't know any [tools]. In fairness, Renzo's dad is a World-Class Tool, according to everyone I know who's met him, and I used to think Ralph was just misunderstood and "old school".

But I lost all of my respect for Ralph over the Kurt Osiander situation, that's the kind of Tool-ness that can't be taught. You're just born with it.
It's been quite sometime since I've seen Renzo, but I've never seen him wear a black gi. I have many times seen him wear blue pants and a white top or vice versa. But I get the impression he just doesn't really give a fuck about such things.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I just remembered that Robson was the one that gave a black belt to Bolsonaro a couple years ago.

that much Tool-ocity broke the needle on my Toolometer.

they should both be required to exclusively wear a Black Gi.
Yeah that was Renzo's doing.