What is the biggest judging upset of all time?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Do you mean like biggest robbery ever?

Ninja vs Rampage comes to mind. Rampage even knew it and immediately tried to hand his trophy over to Ninja, apologizing, in the moments after his hand was raised.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Link the fight if you can.
Since you asked nice I'll tell you.

Biggest judging upset ever was Shogun/Machida 1.

People talk about close 3-2 fights like they are the biggest robberies.... smh

Shogun won that fight 5-0, all three judges had it 3-2 Machida. What a shit load of fuck

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Also Sakuraba vs Guy Mezger was a robbery in a different way. In my opinion, this was literally the worst in history, because it was the absolute definition of corruption.

It was in the opening round of the PRIDE 2000 open weight tournament, and the rules set up by PRIDE for this tournie (included directly in the contract both fighters signed) specifically stated that the fights would only be 1 ten minute round, with no over times.

If a fight was not finished after the first round, a judges decision would have to be ruled, with the winner advancing to the next round of the tournie.

Well, PRIDE, literally on the spot changed those rules. Mezger beat Saku up bad, and it was assumed by every human being watching the bout that Guy would get the decision and advance in the tournament.

All of a sudden, PRIDE says "well, we want Sakuraba to win, so we're just gonna change rules on the spot and create an over time round specifically for this fight because Sakuraba just lost that round". It was atrocious corruption. Ken Shamrock, Guy's trainer, was so pissed that he literally demanded Guy leave the ring and not bend to the bullshit PRIDE was trying to pull.

PRIDE DQ'd Mezger and gave Saku the win, due to Guy "not wanting to continue" Complete bullshit, one of the lowest moments in MMA history IMO. To this day, I think that was the most shady bullshit ever pulled off in a fight in any org.

Interestingly enough, if PRIDE didn't do that and stuck with the rules they made up themselves/stuck to their contract, the 90 minute epic Sakuraba/Royce fight never would have happened. MMA history could have been changed forever.

Last edited:

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Since you asked nice I'll tell you.

Biggest judging upset ever was Shogun/Machida 1.

People talk about close 3-2 fights like they are the biggest robberies.... smh

Shogun won that fight 5-0, all three judges had it 3-2 Machida. What a shit load of fuck
No he didn't. LOL.
It was 3-2 to someone.....

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
In that same vein, Ian McCall really got screwed in his fight fight against Mighty Mouse. It was almost the opposite of Mezger's situation.

It was for the flyweight tournament, and if a draw was declared after the 3 regulation rounds, there would be a sudden death overtime 4th round to decide a winner who would advance.

Mighty Mouse won the first 2 rounds, but McCall dominated the 3rd, winning 10-8 across the score cards. However, there was an error - I forget the exact details of why - where the judges somehow added up the points wrong, and awarded MM the decision. Even though, those same judges awarded the 3rd round 10-8 to McCall.

So, instead of going to an over time round with a completely exhausted Mighty Mouse who just had his face smashed in against a pumped up McCall, the fight was over, and McCall was robbed of his chance of victory.

Again, MMA history could have changed that night had there not been a fuck up. If Ian got that 4th round, which was 100% what was supposed to happen - not an opinion, it was supposed to be that way - MM would have been eliminated from the tournie, and who knows how his career would have went. He probably still would wind up being champ some day, but still, MMA history very well could have gone down differently.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
No he didn't. LOL.
It was 3-2 to someone.....
Shogun won that fight 3-2. I've watched it a million times. He definitely didn't win 5-0, but he won 3-2.

The way he destroyed him in the rematch was a thing of beauty. One of my favorite moments in MMA history. Poetic justice.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
One more quick. Not as much of a "robbery" per se

But I recently watched Griffin vs Bonnar again. Man, I thought Bonnar clearly won that fight 2 to 1. He fucked Forrest up bad. Lots of boos for the decision and "bullshit" chants, which I didn't remember until watching it the other day.

Anyone else think Bonnar should've gotten the nod that night? I know, I know, there were no losers in that fight and it saved the UFC, but still I think that Bonnar should have won that fight and been the first Ultimate Fighter (at 205)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Also Sakuraba vs Guy Mezger was a robbery in a different way. In my opinion, this was literally the worst in history, because it was the absolute definition of corruption.

It was in the opening round of the PRIDE 2000 open weight tournament, and the rules set up by PRIDE for this tournie (included directly in the contract both fighters signed) specifically stated that the fights would only be 1 ten minute round, with no over times.

If a fight was not finished after the first round, a judges decision would have to be ruled, with the winner advancing to the next round of the tournie.

Well, PRIDE, literally on the spot changed those rules. Mezger beat Saku up bad, and it was assumed by every human being watching the bout that Guy would get the decision and advance in the tournament.

All of a sudden, PRIDE says "well, we want Sakuraba to win, so we're just gonna change rules on the spot and create an over time round specifically for this fight because Sakuraba just lost that round". It was atrocious corruption. Ken Shamrock, Guy's trainer, was so pissed that he literally demanded Guy leave the ring and not bend to the bullshit PRIDE was trying to pull.

PRIDE DQ'd Mezger and gave Saku the win, due to Guy "not wanting to continue" Complete bullshit, one of the lowest moments in MMA history IMO. To this day, I think that was the most shady bullshit ever pulled off in a fight in any org.

Interestingly enough, if PRIDE didn't do that and stuck with the rules they made up themselves/stuck to their contract, the 90 minute epic Sakuraba/Royce fight never would have happened. MMA history could have been changed forever.

View: http://vk.com/video-43465794_163662699

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Iirc Shamrock was pissed, basically commanding Guy to GTFO of there asap.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Awesome IWEI, thank you, I couldn't find a link to a vid.

Make sure to whoever watches, that you watch the entire post fight fiasco.

Also.. other robberies. Note: ROBBERIES - not close fights... Some from recent years, some from the past:

Nam Phan vs Leonard Garcia
Korean Zombie vs Leonard Garcia
Megumi Fuji vs Zoila Gurgel
James Thomspon vs Pudzianowski (lol, remember this? Probably example of corruption)
Galvao vs Joe Warren
Rampage vs Bustamante
Bustamante vs Liddell
Tito vs Forrest 3
Caol Uno vs Spencer Fisher
Genki Sudo vs Duane Ludwig
Pele vs Matsui
Wand vs Hunt when you consider the 10kg weight advantage rule PRIDE used. Seemed like they didn't apply it to that fight. If they did, which they should've, Wand deserved the nod.

Yoshida vs Royce Gracie 1, the ref stopped the fight while Royce was wide awake and tried to claim he was out. Complete bullshit, again, probably corruption

Ricco vs Big Nog (although when you read Matt Hume's reasoning about why he gave it to Nog, it's more rational, but I still think Ricco should have won)

Anyway this post took me like 15 mins to write, really had to rack my brain. Some of these might have been close fights, but these stand out as what I'd consider robberies. Ones where I was absolutely convinced the other guy should've won, and the fight was not that close. Not like Lawler Condit type.. Like, straight up robbery shit.

I actually have a half written article I was gonna post here about big time classic MMA robberies, so I drew a lot from that.

Any feedback on these is appreciated. What do you guys think? Anything on this list you'd consider not a robbery?

Thanks for reading.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Iirc Shamrock was pissed, basically commanding Guy to GTFO of there asap.
Yep, and he had every right to be. Guy won that fight fair and square, and PRIDE fucked him over completely by just changing the rules on the fly

Imagine if there was a UFC title fight or something, and it went to a decision and the UFC"s poster boy was gonna lose. Dana & Lorenzo say to the ref, no, fuck this, add an extra round. Make them keep fighting. We can't let our poster boy lose.

That would be near criminal. The outrage would be insane.. and that's exactly what happened to Guy Mezger that night. horrible.

See, I love PRIDE, but I'll be the first one to tell anybody that they were responsible for some absolutely ass backwards, fucked up stuff over the years. Stuff that even the UFC would never do.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Fuck me, going back to watch some of these with the focus that things should have gone different. Lots of bad calls. Gotta think about it before I comment

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Awesome IWEI, thank you, I couldn't find a link to a vid.

Make sure to whoever watches, that you watch the entire post fight fiasco.

Also.. other robberies. Note: ROBBERIES - not close fights... Some from recent years, some from the past:

Nam Phan vs Leonard Garcia
Korean Zombie vs Leonard Garcia
Megumi Fuji vs Zoila Gurgel
James Thomspon vs Pudzianowski (lol, remember this? Probably example of corruption)
Galvao vs Joe Warren
Rampage vs Bustamante
Bustamante vs Liddell
Tito vs Forrest 3
Caol Uno vs Spencer Fisher
Genki Sudo vs Duane Ludwig
Pele vs Matsui
Wand vs Hunt when you consider the 10kg weight advantage rule PRIDE used. Seemed like they didn't apply it to that fight. If they did, which they should've, Wand deserved the nod.

Yoshida vs Royce Gracie 1, the ref stopped the fight while Royce was wide awake and tried to claim he was out. Complete bullshit, again, probably corruption

Ricco vs Big Nog (although when you read Matt Hume's reasoning about why he gave it to Nog, it's more rational, but I still think Ricco should have won)

Anyway this post took me like 15 mins to write, really had to rack my brain. Some of these might have been close fights, but these stand out as what I'd consider robberies. Ones where I was absolutely convinced the other guy should've won, and the fight was not that close. Not like Lawler Condit type.. Like, straight up robbery shit.

I actually have a half written article I was gonna post here about big time classic MMA robberies, so I drew a lot from that.

Any feedback on these is appreciated. What do you guys think? Anything on this list you'd consider not a robbery?

Thanks for reading.
Wand vs hunt I can't call a robbery. When I watched it first time it wasn't live, it was on the Wanderlei silva fighting for pride special. Basically a collection of wands best fights.

As I watched this one unfold I remember as they were about to announce the winner thinking hunto was gonna get screwed because he won that fight

It was a good fight

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Wand vs hunt I can't call a robbery. When I watched it first time it wasn't live, it was on the Wanderlei silva fighting for pride special. Basically a collection of wands best fights.

As I watched this one unfold I remember as they were about to announce the winner thinking hunto was gonna get screwed because he won that fight

It was a good fight
I agree in a sense. It was a really close fight, but PRIDE had a special rule. If a fighter was outweighed by more than 10kg, they'd automatically get an advantage when it came to scoring.

So if a fight is close and goes to the judges, the decision is supposed to go to the smaller guy. Weird I know, but that's how they did it. That fight was pretty damn close, and with their strange rule, Wand shoulda got the nod.

What's even crazier about that fight, is that Wand took it on less than 24 hours notice. That's serious balls.. Hunto was like a legit 290 at that time and a fucking beast. Wanderlei came to Japan prepared to face Sakuraba for the 4th time, and instead, faces someone about 100 lbs heavier than his original opponent with a complete opposite style... and he hangs in there, goes toe to toe and bangs with him, with less than a day to prepare.

Nowadays you get situations like Dustin Porier vs Joe Duffy, or Jon Jones vs Chael Sonnen. New fans and some people like to rag on Wand, but that guy is a real fighter, period

Legend.