What Time Frame Was Your Favorite For MMA?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mfan773

Shake 'em off
Jun 14, 2015
As the title says, what year(s) did you enjoy the most when it came to MMA? What were some of your favorite matches during that time.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
That brief period of time when pride reigned supreme.the ufc was a strong second and strikeforce was putting on shows.either that or the early days of nhb with old school ufc ,kotc and so you think you can fight

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
the harder it was to view an event, the more i enjoyed em, like early 90s

but i d prefer free mma every week like we had just b4 covid

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
2000-2007

Golden age started with Pride's 2000 Grand Prix imo.

Gracie, Takada, Sakuraba, Mezger, Vovchanchyn, Otsuka, Goodridge, Coleman, Shoji, Braga, Kerr, Inoue, Fujita.
Takada vs. Gracie.
Vanderlei Silva won his alternate vs. Bob Schrijber, but never got past alternate status.

All these guys were about "prime", with some recently departing UFC gold.

This is where the second generation really started, and we saw a professional fighter MMA mentality sweep through into a sport mindset, which would become foundationary to today's model.
But it was still young enough where the brutality of NHB was still on display most notably in guys like Vanderlei, Coleman, Kerr & Vovchanchyn, thanks to Pride's glorious ruleset.

From here on through 2005 it only got better, with other organizations such as WEC, Elite XC, Strikeforce, Superbrawl, KOTC, UCC, rising.
Imo, this began declining with the fall of Pride and subsequent fall of other organizations, and the rise of the UFC as a Mcmonopoly over the sport.

Arguments can be made for exact times and instances moving dates slightly, but generally this is how I frame it.

Thanks for posting!

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
2000-2007

Golden age started with Pride's 2000 Grand Prix imo.

Gracie, Takada, Sakuraba, Mezger, Vovchanchyn, Otsuka, Goodridge, Coleman, Shoji, Braga, Kerr, Inoue, Fujita.
Takada vs. Gracie.
Vanderlei Silva won his alternate vs. Bob Schrijber, but never got past alternate status.

All these guys were about "prime", with some recently departing UFC gold.

This is where the second generation really started, and we saw a professional fighter MMA mentality sweep through into a sport mindset, which would become foundationary to today's model.
But it was still young enough where the brutality of NHB was still on display most notably in guys like Vanderlei, Coleman, Kerr & Vovchanchyn, thanks to Pride's glorious ruleset.

From here on through 2005 it only got better, with other organizations such as WEC, Elite XC, Strikeforce, Superbrawl, KOTC, UCC, rising.
Imo, this began declining with the fall of Pride and subsequent fall of other organizations, and the rise of the UFC as a Mcmonopoly over the sport.

Arguments can be made for exact times and instances moving dates slightly, but generally this is how I frame it.

Thanks for posting!
Will there ever be an era greater than this?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Will there ever be an era greater than this?
I really don't think so.
If there was a hardcore revamp it would look similar to what we have with Russian Top Fights & BareknuckleFC, only polished.
But don't we all wish...

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
The B.J. Penn era. Will always be the GOAT in my eyes...

Still gives me goosebumps watching his walkouts...

mfan773

Shake 'em off
Jun 14, 2015
I would agree to this. My first live PPV was UFC 40, and I was excited, then when the MMA fights tended to be won by fighters who avoided fighting with circling and not doing anything and the oversaturation of UFC and the loss of Pride is when I was losing interest. I would still watch, such as when Fedor lost for the first time, but I am slowly gaining a new interest and finding out who this new crop of fighters are.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
This one.

dick pills, dolly thrown thru buses, tripping over wires, hard weight cuts, fighter insta-thots,boob jobs, social media trash talk, million dollar payouts, weight class jumps,easy/repetitive title shots, fights outside the cage, two piece with a soda, re-re-retirements, and dwi's while shooting in the air.

What's not to like??

Jk the Anderson Silva title reign was pretty cool.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The Jones era. Tearing up thru the ranks. Lots of potential. Then it's dominant wins. They he fuck up bader and gets a title shot. Boom

Most dominant title win of all time. Destroyed shogun.

Then peels off all the recent champs.

Best run of all time

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
For me it was roughly probably 2008-2011.
I had figured out where you could download the events on the internet and we used to gather for every event and watch them together.
Yeah we had a VHS of UFC1 from America back in 2003, and a friend had downloaded some Ultimate Knockouts also in 2004 and there was youtube for PRIDE. but at that time in 2008 everybody came back to living in our city, everybody had started kickboxing or boxing independently of one another, we could train together at one of the guys' rich partents house and on sundays we would get together, cook some food and watch a nicely downloaded event. It was that time when everytime a fighter would try something fancy like an uppercut, you just knew he would get knocked out later with a 90% chance when he'd try that shit again.
It was when Rogan still had his higher voice which sounded more like a duck trying to shout.
I found MMA media more digestible then, even having some good quality funny stuff on CagePotato (before they became absolute shit).

My favourite moments then were between
Mir, Nog, Carwin, Lesnar

Big fights with big consequences, finishes and no ridiculous asinine trash talk in the build up. I actually liked most of the fighters back then.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
wicked thread. agree about pride. still can't quite put my finger on why each and every early fighter on the big stage was a fucking superstar in our sport. is it literally because there were so few fighters?

kristian82

Feb 26, 2020
2016, it was an absolute vintage year. Mike Perry debuts, Lando Vannata debuts, Bisping shocks the world, Conor/Diaz and much much more. I made an all time great thread on it back in my Sherdog days.

TheAwkwardTitan

IQ = 209
Jan 30, 2016
2013-2016

I'm not at the hip replacement age most of you guys are at, so I can't speak on the homoerotic attitude you guys have for anything pre 2010. What I will say is that the Ruthless era is without a doubt the most exciting era both in and outside of the cage. We got Hendricks 1 where a close fight was decided by Hendricks wanting it more at the end of the 5th, Hendricks 2 where the fight was decided by Robbie's onslaught at the end of the 5th, 5 rounds with Matt Brown, 5 rounds of war against Condit where both men collapsed on the cage at the end of the bout, and last but not least the best fight of all time Ruthless vs The Red King.

Mind you Robbie's resurgence coincided directly with Conor's entrance into the UFC. The Koscheck fight was only two months before Conor's fight against Brimage. Conor even captured gold the same night Robbie immortalized himself alongside Rory Macdonald. Not only that be we had some of the most exciting fights ever during this era. We saw Aldo vs Mendes, Jones vs Gus, Weidman took the belt, Dillashaw upset Barao, Garbrandt upset Cruz, Holm upset Rousey, Rumble's tear through LHW, DC's run through LHW, Jones vs DC 1 & 2, DC vs Rumble, 13 seconds against Jose, McGregor vs Alvarez, Swanson vs Choi, McGregor vs Diaz, T-Ferg murdering everyone, Mighty Mouse outclassing everyone, Wanderlei vs Stann, Hunt vs silva, etc.

Best 3 years combat sports will ever have.

Last edited:

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
This may seem like I’m skirting the question, but I mean it sincerely....every time frame is my favorite time frame. I love the sport and seeing the evolution. No matter the bullshit that may be happening at any given time, there is always a rivalry, star, or prospect who will keep me obsessed with the sport.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
2000 - 2007

And on nights when Fedor would fight after that time frame.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
'93-'05

For UFC '98 when Peretti ewas matchmaker and the Pride defections hadn't really crippled them yet.

For Pride '03-'06.

For Brazil, pre Zuffa monopoly obviously. 90s to around '07.