What time of day do you train?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
I am new to BJJ, used to wrestle. Did bjj for a few months to get first stripe a few years ago, stopped, started back up in July

Once September comes it is hard for me to make evening classes, whether 6p or 7p. Work, my son is back in school, he has his own bjj practice, time with family, etc

So I have been once in the last 5 weeks or so. I enjoy doing it and I hate paying for something I am not doing. I'll add here I also love to sleep. 7pm is my ideal wake up time

I decided to give the 5am class a try. Today was the first day. I should have started this before it started getting cold because few things are harder than getting out of a warm bed. But I did get up at 4:25 and make it to practice

I need to do it a few times to really get a feel for waking up, going to bed early, etc but I think it is my best option to train regularly until 3rd/4th quarter is over and work slows down some.

Anyone else train in the early am class? Any guys do the lunch class? Or prefer the evening class?

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
I go to afternoon classes on my days off and evening classes the days I work.
I prefer afternoon classes as it's usually just me or a couple other people. I've just started so the close attention from the coaches has been extremely valuable.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I don't get out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary. Training before work + 3 cups of coffee is out of the question.

Noon class would be ideal. I did that for awhile, but my school is just a little bit too far away from the office.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I train mornings and evenings when i dont have work, depends on my rota but I'm usually on the mats at least once a day.

I prefer the morning classes. Our school did offer an early morning class (7am) for a while for the people that worked weird hours, but not many people showed up so they scrapped it.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I need to do it a few times to really get a feel for waking up, going to bed early, etc but I think it is my best option to train regularly until 3rd/4th quarter is over and work slows down some.
Do you have anyone you can train with outside of the gyms timetable?

My friend used to struggle making it in the morning and evenings, so i used to train with him after his shift finished at like 1am in a fitness gym with mats and a cage. It was either that or no bjj at all for him.

M

member 603

Every day, depends on how the old body feels LOL. I usually teach the evening classes, so I'll mix training in the morning or afternoon, then teach/train... Or I'll do morning and night..... And if I'm off a long run of shows/events, I'll just train/drill with my classes

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
I train mornings and evenings when i dont have work, depends on my rota but I'm usually on the mats at least once a day.

I prefer the morning classes. Our school did offer an early morning class (7am) for a while for the people that worked weird hours, but not many people showed up so they scrapped it.
There were probably 15 people there this morning but they said it is usually 8-10, which seems like a decent number

they have 22 classes a week, not counting the kids classes

7am would not work for me between getting my son to school and then getting ready for work. I could see that not being early enough for some folks

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Every day, depends on how the old body feels LOL. I usually teach the evening classes, so I'll mix training in the morning or afternoon, then teach/train... Or I'll do morning and night..... And if I'm off a long run of shows/events, I'll just train/drill with my classes
I would need an industrial washer machine for all the gi washing if I went every day haha

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Do you have anyone you can train with outside of the gyms timetable?

My friend used to struggle making it in the morning and evenings, so i used to train with him after his shift finished at like 1am in a fitness gym with mats and a cage. It was either that or no bjj at all for him.
no, and honestly don't need it. I am sure if I asked someone would be available though.

once 4th quarter is over I can hit the Tues/Thurs evening class. Once my son hits summer break then I could hit the evening classes any night of the week. and as long as I stay disciplined I can hit the 5am. that is the real challenge ha

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
I don't get out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary. Training before work + 3 cups of coffee is out of the question.

Noon class would be ideal. I did that for awhile, but my school is just a little bit too far away from the office.
I don't really drink coffee but I am thinking about getting a moka pot if I keep this up haha

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I am new to BJJ, used to wrestle. Did bjj for a few months to get first stripe a few years ago, stopped, started back up in July

Once September comes it is hard for me to make evening classes, whether 6p or 7p. Work, my son is back in school, he has his own bjj practice, time with family, etc

So I have been once in the last 5 weeks or so. I enjoy doing it and I hate paying for something I am not doing. I'll add here I also love to sleep. 7pm is my ideal wake up time

I decided to give the 5am class a try. Today was the first day. I should have started this before it started getting cold because few things are harder than getting out of a warm bed. But I did get up at 4:25 and make it to practice

Anyone else train in the early am class? Any guys do the lunch class? Or prefer the evening class?
Most of my training is at night (5 days a week I do the 6:15-8:00 classes), I lead the 06:00 morning classes twice a week on Wednesday and Friday. Once in a blue moon I can sneak in a noon class.
I like the night classes the best, just because they are the largest and I don’t have to get into the mindset to work after class is over.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I mostly attend the evening classes around 7pm, after work, but I help teach a couple of morning classes per week. I also try to hit a couple of open mats on the weekend. Gotta get it in whenever you can get it in.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I train in the evening because I have to. Basically, I never know when I'll be able to train, so when I go, I try and do all the classes. Ends up being a 101 no-gi, than a 201 gi, then the intermediate no-gi, so like 3.5 hours if I'm lucky. If I could go at like 6:30 am everyday, I totally would.

I ended up taking private lessons on top of the classes because I wanted to see progress.

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
You can train at any time depending on your schedule. I do training in the morning and evening when I have spare time. During working days, I prefer to do training in the evening. Studies have shown that the metabolism of the body speeds up from 2 pm to 6 pm. So it would be great if you do training at that time. Training at that time will also makes your body fit. Your body will come in the shape.