General What works for scaring birds away from your garden?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Just have Harlem be your garden moderator

Baaaahahahaha!!!! I so funny because its 100% true. Reminds me of something. Remember like in high school, you ran with a group of friends? And like one of your friends was awful with chicks. What did you call him? Pu$$y Repellant. Well Harlem is Forum Member Repellant. LOLOL....

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
A larger fake bird of prey can work. Like a fake owl or a fake hawk.

Thank you Hauler and Steriod of Heaven! I didn't even realize that made those things, and they are cheap! Some of them even have heads that move around and eyes that light up to try and scare the birds. I'm getting some with a quickness! Thanks!

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
You might be better off getting sacrificial berries that are just for the birds. Vineyards do this to keep the birds off of their grapes and it works really well. Research what berry varieties birds can't resist in your region.

I'm not sure I like this approach. First, it just encourages more birds to come to the yard. So that is more birds that can potentially eat my shit. Why would just enough birds come to eat JUST the sacrafcial berries, and no more? I don't think so, more would just come and eat all the sacraficial berries and all my good berries as well. Plus, all the space where I plant sacracial berries means I can't plant non-sacraficial berries there. I hereby VETO this approach...

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Thank you Hauler and Steriod of Heaven! I didn't even realize that made those things, and they are cheap! Some of them even have heads that move around and eyes that light up to try and scare the birds. I'm getting some with a quickness! Thanks!
No problem.
You'll have to move it around every few days to a new perch. If it sits in one spot for too many days the birds will figure out the ruse.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
A couple things, mesh netting works the best, also, and I know this sounds weird, but get a bird bath and place it away from your garden. You have to make sure it stays clean and full of water at all times. Most of the time when birds eat your berries they are doing it just for the hydration. Bird baths work great.