General Who was the biggest musical act you seen in the smallest venue?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Burner2274

Aug 14, 2024
I stay in Springfield all the time when driving out to our office in Kansas. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do there.
Lots of good restaurants. That's about it. Covid killed the downtown scene... I hear it's slowly recovering.

I like to go to shows at the gillioz. It's a historic theater.

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017
I was a doorman at a small place that was on the "list" of warm up gigs for bands that could fill arenas. Saw alot of larger bands play "special guest" surprise type shows before their tour officially started.

YourDaddyDevilAndLord

Dec 9, 2018
Machine Head at the Club Cocodrie in SF. Kerry and Paul from Slayer were there and Kerry got up and played a song with them. I played on that fucking cracked in half stage!!! HAHAHA!

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I stay in Springfield all the time when driving out to our office in Kansas. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do there.
One of my kid's squeezes lives there.
He drove 2 1/2 hours to spend $250 on her dinner last night.
Friday he's driving 2 1/2 hours to pick her up, 2 hours to Branson to go shopping, then 2 hours home.
She's brutal.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was at Metal Church guys house & they played for us in the basement.
That's the best I got.
Interesting thread.
I dare say, informative.

Uncle Tom Doug

Official TMMAC Racist
Jun 24, 2022
I saw a ton of bands/acts at Moose's Music Hall, Blue Cats, etc. in Knoxville back in the mid-late 90's.

Kid Rock played there a month or two before he blew up. That was in the late 90's but I had been listening to his shit since Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast. All of the faggot michigander transplants brought their music to Tennessee with them.

PoopStripe

Aug 13, 2024
I saw No Doubt in front of a record store in Fullerton right before they really blew up. There might have been 40 people there.

Papa Roach played at an NHRA event in Pomona the day before Winter Nationals. It rained that morning, so it was pretty empty. I stood in front of the stage with less than a dozen people...it was actually embarrassing. A few months later, Last Resort was on all day long.

Ruprecht

Aug 13, 2024
Mine was Motorhead at California Dreams night club in Anaheim (100-150 people)

No barriers what-so-ever.

I could play Lemmy's balls if I wanted to.

Motorhead was already established & not just starting out.It was a promotional show for radio station KNAC.
That must have been 35+ years ago. That location has been a Mexican night club for as long as I can remember. It has turned Mexican like most everything else in Anaheim has.

Wiggy

We. Live. In. A. Fucking. Meme.
Oct 23, 2015
I went & saw Sevendust at a small(-ish) bar in Fayettehole, NC. The opening band was terrible, but then the second band was pretty good...I was only paying kinda attention when I realized I liked their stuff and had been hearing the last song on the radio.

It was Godsmack opening up for Sevendust just as "Whatever" was getting airplay. Just a few weeks later, they blew TF up.

Pretty cool experience to look back on.

Burner2274

Aug 14, 2024
One of my kid's squeezes lives there.
He drove 2 1/2 hours to spend $250 on her dinner last night.
Friday he's driving 2 1/2 hours to pick her up, 2 hours to Branson to go shopping, then 2 hours home.
She's brutal.
Where did they go to dinner?

Burner2274

Aug 14, 2024
I saw Reverend Horton Heat in front of maybe 200 people. He's not a huge band.

I did see Slipknot in front of maybe 500 people before they hit it big. Kitty opened for them.

There's a little house about an hour away that has shows in their living room. They get acts like Horton Heat every once in a while. I've never gone but want to.

NiteProwleR

Free Hole Lay Row
Nov 17, 2023
I've only been to juan concert. BuckCherry and it was in a little shithole venue before we got actual stadiums built. They fuckin rocked.

GentleArt309

Aug 14, 2024
Saw nirvana in a bar playing for 20 people.
Saw them the next year opening a theater for sonic youth.
Big place, but almost everyone was in the bar. They killed, and mentioned they had a new record coming out.

2 weeks later nevermind came out.
If I had a time machine....

FG_Gall

Aug 13, 2024
Not as big as the other bands mentioned but I saw Kataklysm in my high school gymnasium the night before they were flying out for a tour in Europe. Funny story, the guitar player broke a string during the first song and all their equipment was already loaded for departure, so the singer tried to do stand up comedy while his guitar player was changing a string on stage.

EagleVulture

Aug 13, 2024
NIrvana at The Roxy, The Palace, The Palladium and Iguanas in TJ

Rage Against The Machine at The Coach House opening for The Jim Rose Side Show

Alice in Chains at Iguanas opening for Iggy Pop

Tool at a club In Santa Ana called The Galaxy (now The Observatory). Was supposed to be at California Dreams but was moved at the last minute. Also saw them at The Palladium

Janes Addiction in the backyard tennis courts at a mansion in Bel-Air

Smashing Pumpkins at English Acid right after Gish was released

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017

Tool at a club In Santa Ana called The Galaxy (now The Observatory). Was supposed to be at California Dreams but was moved at the last minute. Also saw them at The Palladium

That reminds me of a show at the Warfield around 89. Not small, not huge.
Danzig & Corrosion Of Conformity.
Nobody had heard of the 3rd band.

Holy shit did we know their name when we walked out.

Sound garden absolutely deserved to blow up, they absolutely laid it down and then some.

*same show- went to the bar to buy shots for my crew. Some longhair is at the bar too.

At the same time we both order 6 shots of jager, both look at each other and laugh.
When the shots are in front of us we attempt to grab them and leave. Bartender says "you gotta drink them here, can't take em back in"

Me and the other guy look at each other, nod, and match all 6 shots, nod, and go back about our business.

That random dude was Kirk Hemmet.

One of life's weirder moments.

Ruprecht

Aug 13, 2024

I also saw Tool at the Palladium around 1997. I got herpes gladiatorum or something from some sweaty jackass at that show. All of my years of bjj, I never got ringworm or anything, but one Tool show fucked me up.

madval

Nov 20, 2016
Wu-Tang Clan on a softball field in Big Sky Montana. Couple hundred people